E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 550i , Is it really the time to sell it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I use Valvoline High Mileage full synthetic oil and change it every 5000 miles. The base oil stock is the same as that used for BMW approved Valvoline Full Synthetic. I have 92,000 miles on my 545. It was dripping some oil, but that now seems to have stopped after about 10,000 miles since I switched to this oil. I have never had valve stem seal leakage. Some people think it is a waste of money, others think it works. Valvoline claims it can stop or reduce valve seal leakage. Research it and then decide if it's right for you. I'm am going to continue to use it.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim165
That has to be a new mileage record for an N62 that hasn't had the stems replaced yet! I've changed my oil every 7k or less since 35k miles (except currently where I'm at 9.5k....busy and lots of road trips) and I'm at 145k with no smoke. Losing oil somewhere though as I've had to top up for the first time between changes this time before I hit 7k miles. My brother in law just got the bad news that his '08 750i will need new stem seals at only 80k miles...it's a road car and rarely driven, so wondering if his just dried out from lack of lubrication/use?
spoke too soon....had a big puff of smoke after idling with the a/c running for 5 minutes. I can almost watch the oil level drop over a period of a week. Of course I won't fix it since almost everything else is broken or malfunctioning, but just wanted to note that oil changed religiously every 7500 miles or less with maybe one exception, regular coolant changes, in Texas and valve stems gone at 150k miles. You spend the money and time to keep these cars running and they still deteriorate to dust. No more garage storage, top tier fuel, or regular oil changes or probably even car washes for this thing anymore. Pure garbage, these cars...
Old 08-27-2017, 10:32 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i E60 Blue W/Sport Pkg 19' wheel

Maaaan .... I am so disappointed!!
I love the convenient and power it has as well as every aspect in this car.
I call it my second wife .. NO KIDDING ... LOL
Old 08-28-2017, 07:31 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Jim165
spoke too soon....had a big puff of smoke after idling with the a/c running for 5 minutes. I can almost watch the oil level drop over a period of a week. Of course I won't fix it since almost everything else is broken or malfunctioning, but just wanted to note that oil changed religiously every 7500 miles or less with maybe one exception, regular coolant changes, in Texas and valve stems gone at 150k miles. You spend the money and time to keep these cars running and they still deteriorate to dust. No more garage storage, top tier fuel, or regular oil changes or probably even car washes for this thing anymore. Pure garbage, these cars...
Have you confirmed that it is indeed the valve stems. Valve stems don't just suddenly leak at a litre a week rate.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Have you confirmed that it is indeed the valve stems. Valve stems don't just suddenly leak at a litre a week rate.
The smoke after idle is the primary give-away, but it started consuming oil about a year ago. At about 130k miles I started noticing that the oil level was no longer staying full between the 7k changes. At every oil change, the notches in idrive would be lower than previously (I purposefully did not top it off to study it). It would consume much more if I run it hard or let it idle for too long. My trusted mechanic found only a minor leak at a valve cover, but it was more like it was "sweating" oil. I haven't taken it back for him to look at it since it started gulping a quart and a half of oil between changes now....no need since it ain't gonna get fixed anyway. I probably exaggerated the quart a week, but it's actually about 1.5 quarts per oil change. It's definitely not leaking because the bottom cover/ undertray was torn off by a rogue truck tire retread about a month ago and the ground is perfectly dry. On a tangent, my car is lowered and the sound of that tire carcass destroying the underside of my car at 75mph is the stuff of nightmares, lol. Felt like I ran over a body...
Old 09-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

I went through the same crap. Religious oil changes at 5K miles with Euro Castrol or Liquid Moly, brake fluid changes per year, complete tranny service with mechanitronics seal every 30K, full cooling system overhaul at 60K (water pump, thermostat, vent, overflow tank, fluid, etc), diff service every 30K, follow the Mike Miller protocol, etc. and I still had to battle alternator bracket leaks, upper timing chain covers leaks, valve cover gasket leaks but the final straw was whenI noticed I was putting in a quart every 1000 miles. I then read online about valve stem seals and the test for it. I let the car idle for 10 mins in the driveway, rev'd the motor and saw the plume of smoke. I was so disgusted that I got rid of the car. The dealers wanted $9500 for repairs and the indys wanted around $6500 and up. I put it up for sale but then changed my mind. I couldn't screw over a fellow BMW enthusiast so I traded it in and the dealership repaired it and sold it.

I loved the car, still do, but I had enough. I went through the same thing with my E60 545 with the valley pan gasket.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

Try the Valvoline high mileage oil. Like gwf545, I had a few friends that had valve stem seal problems and they went this route and it helped them out. The smoking stopped and they've been driving it for a few thousand miles. Who knows how long it'll last but it's the cheapest way for now. I was planning on this but I just got fed up and bought a Lexus instead.