E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 550i front end vibration and transmission not smooth

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i

So i took my car into the dealer on Monday for 2 issues. The first being the transmission not shifting smooth, or it learned the previous drivers driving, and the second issue being a slight front end vibration. This would only happen at a standstill and i would let off the brake and feel the steering wheel vibrate slightly. A very slow vibration occurred. I took it to the dealer and replicated both problems to the head tech. Today is Wednesday and they have told me the following:

Had to reprogram the software on the car and that is an overnight, labor intensive programming process. Today they said the slight vibration is gone but the trans still is not smooth. They say BMW told them to apply a transmission software patch which should fix the problem. They are keeping my car another night for this programming.

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced any of my problems and if the dealer is telling me the truth? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jpmotdyn' post='1085648' date='Jan 6 2010, 09:44 PM
So i took my car into the dealer on Monday for 2 issues. The first being the transmission not shifting smooth, or it learned the previous drivers driving, and the second issue being a slight front end vibration. This would only happen at a standstill and i would let off the brake and feel the steering wheel vibrate slightly. A very slow vibration occurred. I took it to the dealer and replicated both problems to the head tech. Today is Wednesday and they have told me the following:

Had to reprogram the software on the car and that is an overnight, labor intensive programming process. Today they said the slight vibration is gone but the trans still is not smooth. They say BMW told them to apply a transmission software patch which should fix the problem. They are keeping my car another night for this programming.

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced any of my problems and if the dealer is telling me the truth? Thanks.

I had my car (2007 550i) in for software update and it took the dealer two full days. They claimed it was due to their computer or server. They did mention that it is a labor intensive process as well. At the end, the car feels much better. Reason for the update was my complaint about rough idle during a cold start.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Contributors

If you heard it from the dealership then its probably not true..

On a serious note though, I hope a simple "patch" can fix your problems. I had rough starts and rough idling which ended up being a $6k repair which I had to fight with the dealership to cover, and they still aren't covering everything..

GL.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by jpmotdyn' post='1085648' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:44 PM

a lot of the 550s out there with automatic transmission cannot shift smoothly. I am one of them, I had 3 different reprogrammings. Reprogramming in most of the cases will not work, ultimately BMW will say its normal car operation. Go figure and I hope that BMW proves me wrong in this case.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i

Still havent got my car back, dealer has had it since Monday. They are now saying that the head tech is not happy with the way it is shifting so they are first goinf to check to see if the car is misfiring, by looking at the back of the valves to see if there is carbon buildup. If there is they will pull the intak manifold off and clean the back of all the valves.

If there is not any buildup then they are sending the case through P.U.M.A ( i dont know if this is the correct spelling) and the trannsmission techs on the East Coast for review. They will tell them whether to replace the torque converter, trans ecu, mec link ( i think this is what the advisor said) or transmission. Looks like they will need my car for another few days.