E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2006 530xi - Silent Clunk / Shudder at Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my September build 2006 530xi for almost 2 weeks now (225 miles) and I love almost everything about this vehicle. It's everything I expected and more.

HOWEVER, I am getting more disappointed with this one issue I am having with my vehicle:

1. When stopped at traffic light and still in drive mode, the cars often hiccups or shudders once. It's like a quick rock back and forth and feels like someone bumped you softly from behind. This happens consistently when I am stopped at a traffic light. It's not a huge jerk, it's a small one that is still noticeable.

2. I checked with my service advisor and they have heard of this (in the new 3 & 5 series), but they say there is no fix for this and this is normal for this car. If this is normal for this $50K+ car, then this is wrong. Others have told me to give it more time, since the engine is learning your braking patterns. Is this possible?

3. Today on my way to work I did not get any silent clunk, so I was happy, however on the way back I noticed the silent clunk was back. I also noticed it was more pronounced when I braked more sharply from around 5MPH. The braking when doing this is kind of spongy since you feel the car rock back and forth slightly and then when idling a couple seconds it hiccups / clunks again - just once.

Is anyone else experiencing this and have any solutions? Your feedback is most appreciated!
Old 10-10-2005, 04:09 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

I wonder if this is some kind of artifact of Comfort Stop/Soft Stop?

In any event, I have noticed other people claim to have this issue fade away and disappear after a couple hundred miles; the "learning your driving and stopping patterns" story may have an element of truth to it.

On the other hand, dealers always tend to write something off as "normal" - until it's acknowledged as an issue, at which point there is, all of a sudden, a "fix" for the formerly "normal" issue.

As I said in the other thread, this appears to only affect automatic transmissions for obvious reasons. I hope your issue either goes away as others have reported, or that you can get it solved.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 10 2005, 08:09 PM
I wonder if this is some kind of artifact of Comfort Stop/Soft Stop?

In any event, I have noticed other people claim to have this issue fade away and disappear after a couple hundred miles; the "learning your driving and stopping patterns" story may have an element of truth to it.

On the other hand, dealers always tend to write something off as "normal" - until it's acknowledged as an issue, at which point there is, all of a sudden, a "fix" for the formerly "normal" issue.

As I said in the other thread, this appears to only affect automatic transmissions for obvious reasons. I hope your issue either goes away as others have reported, or that you can get it solved.
[snapback]182406[/snapback]
Hey Das,

Thanks for your words of hope. I am still optimistic that maybe this will all go away and you are right, it could be this Comfort Stop / Soft Stop feature. I hope it is not, so I can get this fixed.

I thought it could have been the gas the dealer first filled up the tank with (maybe they used regular), so I filled up my first tank with Super, but the problem still remains.

More updates to follow.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:22 PM
das
Site Founders

My guess is that on an automatic transmission vehicle, in order to accomplish Soft Stop, the transmission is probably being briefly disengaged in concert with the new DSC+ system doing its magic for Soft Stop. The "clunk" is probably somehow related to the transmission being reengaged, for lack of a better way to describe it; similar to shifting from park/neutral back to drive. I'm betting it's something related to that somehow. Perhaps it will soften up as it learns your driving/braking patterns...

On another note, it's too bad Soft Stop can't just be disabled temporarily to determine if that is the issue! But it seems to me that it is, especially as you have described it during harder braking from slower speeds, if I understood correctly (I think I saw that on bimmerfest?).
Old 10-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Members

i have not experienced this. the only "irregularity" i notice is some herky-jerkiness when slowing to a stop in the DS mode

i love this car!
Old 10-10-2005, 05:05 PM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by sweeet' date='Oct 10 2005, 08:00 PM
i have not experienced this.? the only "irregularity" i notice is some herky-jerkiness when slowing to a stop in the DS mode

i love this car!
[snapback]182433[/snapback]
You also don't have a car with Comfort Stop/Soft Stop. That appeared on the vehicles with DSC+ beginning with September production (the beginning of the "true" 2006 vehicles).
Old 10-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I brought my car from the stock so for sure I don't have comfort stop and I have had the car since the end of August. I too sometimes (twice) get this shudders when the car comes to a complete stop and I only have 1800 km on my odo. I thought this is because the car is still running in and I am driving 95% of the time in stop and go traffic plus the moving parts are trying to getting use to each other, so I took it on highway to see if that resolve the problem. Is Day 3 without the problem now, will update if there's something wrong.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 10 2005, 09:38 PM
I brought my car from the stock so for sure I don't have comfort stop and I have had the car since the end of August.? I too sometimes (twice) get this shudders when the car comes to a complete stop and I only have 1800 km on my odo.? I thought this is because the car is still running in and I am driving 95% of the time in stop and go traffic plus the moving parts are trying to getting use to each other, so I took it on highway to see if that resolve the problem.? Is Day 3 without the problem now, will update if there's something wrong.
[snapback]182459[/snapback]
Hey AC-S5, thanks for you update and keep us updated if this continues. BMW may say this is a normal thing, however my previous BMWs and let along any of the other cars I have owned never had this issue and although this issue is somewhat small, once it happens you tend to look for it and be more sensitive to it, which drives you crazy. Continue to keep us updated. Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sweeet' date='Oct 10 2005, 09:00 PM
i have not experienced this.? the only "irregularity" i notice is some herky-jerkiness when slowing to a stop in the DS mode

i love this car!
[snapback]182433[/snapback]
This is good to hear that not everyone is having this issue.

For your issue, you may want to check out this thread if it's related to what you are experiencing now:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=16583
Old 10-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 10 2005, 08:22 PM
My guess is that on an automatic transmission vehicle, in order to accomplish Soft Stop, the transmission is probably being briefly disengaged in concert with the new DSC+ system doing its magic for Soft Stop. The "clunk" is probably somehow related to the transmission being reengaged, for lack of a better way to describe it; similar to shifting from park/neutral back to drive. I'm betting it's something related to that somehow. Perhaps it will soften up as it learns your driving/braking patterns...

On another note, it's too bad Soft Stop can't just be disabled temporarily to determine if that is the issue! But it seems to me that it is, especially as you have described it during harder braking from slower speeds, if I understood correctly (I think I saw that on bimmerfest?).
[snapback]182416[/snapback]
Your above account make very good sense and I only hope it gets resolved on its own over time if possible. It does feel like a gear change when it rocks back and forth, like a slight lurching. If you seen this issue on bimmerfest it's probably me again talkinga about it.

Although this issue may not be huge, it's an annoying issue, since there is no clear fix for it, it's called normal and you want your new vehicle to run smoothly right from the start. Heck (knock on wood), I would have taken a High Drain Battery issue over my problem, since at least there is an upgrade to fix that.

Quick Reply: 2006 530xi - Silent Clunk / Shudder at Idle?