E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2006 525xi - What Tool? DSC, 4x4, Brake Lights all On

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 06:32 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: M5
Default 2006 525xi - What Tool? DSC, 4x4, Brake Lights all On

Hello guys,

I have a 2006 525xi with about 64k miles on it. It's been to BMW most of its life with the exception of a new battery installed by AAA about a year and a half ago.

A couple of years ago my 4x4 and DSC lights started coming on intermittently. Eventually it started happening more often, and now they are constantly on. The yellow brake light is also on.

From what I understand, I need to check the battery, then recalibrate the steering sensor (tried this, didn't work), then replace the steering angle / position sensor. There is no clunk when shutting the car off, so I do not think it is transfer case related.

I could go to a generic OBD II code reader and get a scan done, but I was wondering what tools are out there now that are appropriate for the E60? With my E39 M5 I had a Peake tool that I used that was far more realiable than any generic OBD II reader.

From what I'm seeing, the Bavarian Technic kit is great. How does it compare to the autoenginuity and carsoft tools, does anyone know? Advice would be appreciated!
Old 06-03-2014, 05:19 AM
New Members

pretty dead forum. is there a more active e60 forum?
Old 06-03-2014, 06:33 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I have the Bavarian Technic diagnostic tool. I can't compare it to anything else since I've only used this on my E60 but it's worth it in my opinion for the price if you use it at least 3 times. I have used a Snap-On diagnostic tool, very expensive, and a friend's generic scan tool, meh, in the past. I personally wouldn't bother getting or using a generic tool for the BMW unless I already had it or was in a real pinch.
The BT tool is pretty good for what you can do with it (Live values, send commands and activation's, clear codes) and its definitely paid itself off from simple diagnostics and code clearing that I've done. The only real con is the price, somewhat, and that you can't do any coding with the 'Enthusiast' version.
The only other diagnostic tool option I would consider is building my own BMW diagnostic laptop which can be done with a cheap laptop, an ODB2 connector and some shared BMW diagnostic software. Check out bmwcoding.com for more info on that. This is something I've been looking to do but haven't put the time into. I just need to get this old Thinkpad T40 I have up and running and buy a cable.

And here's my over the internet diagnosis on your issue. If your battery is good and securely connected (a secure connection is more important than you think, I was getting all sorts of weird codes from a negative cable connection that was SLIGHTLY loose) and your alternator is good its most likely the solenoid on your transfer case that's gone bad. It won't cause clunking but your AWD and I believe traction control will be inactive. The code you'll get is something real generic like "Transfer Case Malfunction" and nothing else. Pretty common failure for E90 and E60 xi's. Cost's about $400 for solenoid from what I can remember. Definitely shop around since its used on many BMW's.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:01 AM
New Members

My Ride: 528Xi

Hi, I have a 2008 528Xi with 200K on it now. Had similar issues that you described - ie intermittent DSC 4X4 lights comming on - but would go off after driving ect....bad news ended up being the transfer case - and dealer repair was pricey. Hope you have better luck.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:19 PM
New Members

Thanks jet. I've been debating on if I should buy the tool or just take it in. I can always sell the tool when I'm done, so it's not particularly expensive for me. I don't expect I should need to do any re-coding for this particular issue (it's going to be the Steering Angle Sensor or Transfer Case from what I can see). I have no idea what coding I would need - I'll check out that site and see.

I'll check the battery, who knows how AAA installed it. The issue has existed for the last couple years, so if the alternator were bad, I would probably know by now! Was the solenoid easy to replace? I can work on the car in the garage.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:44 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

If you're a DIY'er and have a laptop I say just buy the BT tool. It's worth it in my opinion if you do your own troubleshooting a couple of times.
I've never had to take it to the dealer for any diagnostics after having this tool and using google to search for the fault codes and fixes.
You'll probably never actually need the coding. I just brought it up since some people want to code options like lighting, cluster changes etc and you can't do that with the Enthusiast BT tool.

I never did the replacement itself. I just trouble shot the issue on my friends E60xi and on another friends E90xi using the fault code he gave me and google search.
Google "Transfer Case Malfunction" and E60xi or E90xi and you should be able to find multiple posts and a DIY on this issue. From what I remember it was pretty straightforward. Definitely get the fault codes first since it could be something else unrelated but this is a common failure on late model AWD BMW's.

FYI a NH BMW dealer quoted my friend with the E90xi $1000 to replace the servo motor on the transfer case lol