E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2005 bmw transmission slam disappointed in BMW

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 02:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm from the UK with a E60 525D M-Sport and have the exact same problem with the gearbox slam from 2 -> 1 gears coming to a stand still. The car is still under CPO (or AUC in the UK) warranty. When I took this problem to the local dealership they just reset the Adaptive Gearbox settings to re-learn to driving style again. The Gearbox slam stopped for a few weeks but then gradually started to progressively happen again.

I'm booking the car again to the dealership this week to have this looked at in more depth! Lets see what excuse they can come out with!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by fatbuddha001
I'm from the UK with a E60 525D M-Sport and have the exact same problem with the gearbox slam from 2 -> 1 gears coming to a stand still. The car is still under CPO (or AUC in the UK) warranty. When I took this problem to the local dealership they just reset the Adaptive Gearbox settings to re-learn to driving style again. The Gearbox slam stopped for a few weeks but then gradually started to progressively happen again.

I'm booking the car again to the dealership this week to have this looked at in more depth! Lets see what excuse they can come out with!
Here's the reason I don't think it's a problem with the transmission itself... Once a rest is done, it behaves normally, this tells me that the gears inside the transmission are ok.
What is being changed in the computer (software) that tells the transmission to shift at a certain point, even when it's not ready to shift thus causing the kick.

I would find out when the transmission gets reset, the parameters could be fixed at that and not change, then the behavior won't change and no more issues will occur. In other words disable the adaptive transmission all together in software.

I will also investigate this.

My problem is a quite different with my 545i, in 5th gear when the car is warm (I have automatic) the car hesitates every 2 to 3 seconds when feathering the throttle, when I hit the gas all is good, when I do the reset, all is good. This happens is D, DS and M5.
I have reasons to believe it's not a transmission issue, but a software bug or something to do with the engine or fuel supply being cut every two seconds in 5th gear for some strange reason.

Anyway as someone earlier said, the BMW automatic transmission has to be the worst ever, my next BMW will be 6 speed manual, not even SMG.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Members

This is my second and last BMW. In my opinion it's all smokes and mirrors. Sure it drives nice, goes quick but I have to fix that d**m thing everytime I drive it. Really a joke. My 17 year old piece of crap mercedes was more reliable than my 2004 545i.... pathetic what they've done. I will never own another BMW product. Ever.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Members

...well maybe not ever... as the other poster stated... go with manual :-)
Owning a BMW is like an abusive relationship (not that I've ever been in one!) LOL
Love and hate!
This transmission thing is worrying... same reverse lag is happening on mine and it's slammed three times in the last two months.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Members

fatbuddha001

let me know what bmw do say
Old 07-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Members

any updated info after the INPA reset?
Old 07-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Members

Update: on the software upate. the car seems to have less power but the 2-1 shift is not hard any more. i did notice going form 20mph to 60mph getting on the highway the car just launches and I am not even pressing the gas that much but doesnt happen every time.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
you paid 30k for an 05 545i with 65k miles? ouch

is the trans slam worse under light throttle or heavy throttle?
in D mode the trans is suppose to start off in second gear. when in DS mode the car takes off in first gear.

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
That is alot of money!
I didnt pay $30k I was mad and exaggerated a little
Old 07-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by sunny 2005 bmw
I didnt pay $30k I was mad and exaggerated a little
LMAO! That's funny!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Rizbel
I have to report that the car behaved differently this morning; it's more responsive to throttle input, and accelerates smoothly and effortlessly. It?s just unbelievable. Thanks .
OHMYGOSH. When I read this thread I thought this was hocus pocus placebo effect, but I thought I would give it a shot today. Wow, what a difference! The car definitely shifts a lot smoother, pulls a lot harder, and the car feels noticeably faster!

I am really surprised by how fast it jumps from 60 to 80+ right now, this is rather astonishing actually. I will report back later if anything changes.

Do it!

Quick Reply: 2005 bmw transmission slam disappointed in BMW