E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2005 545 won't start!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just the starter.. i had this same problem 2 weeks ago where all the electronic works but the car wouldnt start so then everyone told me to change the battery but i wasnt convince enough to change it so i aimed at the starter.. Now the car starts right up.. the starter is cheaper then having them taking their time diagnosing it
Old 07-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i BMW sport

Originally Posted by ta0sum
Just the starter.. i had this same problem 2 weeks ago where all the electronic works but the car wouldnt start so then everyone told me to change the battery but i wasnt convince enough to change it so i aimed at the starter.. Now the car starts right up.. the starter is cheaper then having them taking their time diagnosing it
Thanks, whats crazy about this is that I read ur thread about a week n a half ago and thought it was the starter but everyone including the dealer said
That it coudnt be the starter! On my way to the dealer!
Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Members

The dealer check the starter and ruled it out
They think it's a short circuit in the wiring.
They can't figure it out cause they can't turn it on
That's y it's taking long. Now they have to call BMW USA for assistance
Old 07-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Members

Now the dealer saying it could be the ?power module?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Members

could it be the led angel eyes i installed, the dealer confirmed that it was and electrical problem but could not pin point the issue. starter was ruled out, battery terminal ruled out, fuses ruled out.
what make me suspect the aftermarket angel lights is the fact that my car would not start only after leaving the car sitting right after i installed the angel lights.
did anybody ever heard off this problem before???
Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by 5th element
could it be the led angel eyes i installed, the dealer confirmed that it was and electrical problem but could not pin point the issue. starter was ruled out, battery terminal ruled out, fuses ruled out.
what make me suspect the aftermarket angel lights is the fact that my car would not start only after leaving the car sitting right after i installed the angel lights.
did anybody ever heard off this problem before???
Never heard of it and from my experience there's no normal way the parking lamps would cause this problem. The parking lamps are electronically controlled and power to the lamp sockets is removed when the lights/ignition are turned off.

Don't let the dealer tell you this is the problem.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by or_550i
Never heard of it and from my experience there's no normal way the parking lamps would cause this problem. The parking lamps are electronically controlled and power to the lamp sockets is removed when the lights/ignition are turned off.

Don't let the dealer tell you this is the problem.
i took it out the dealer and tow it to imports shop. they quickly said that the DME (Digital Motor Electronics) module needed replace cause it was fried.
could this be the problem?
dont know if it was a coincidence but could it be the led angel eyes the i installed that fried it? i say this because i only experience this problems only after i installed the led halos.
shop is charging $1350.00 for the DME module n $400.00 to labor n coding
Old 07-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

i took it out the dealer and tow it to imports shop. they quickly said that the DME (Digital Motor Electronics) module needed replace cause it was fried.
could this be the problem?
I *suspect* not. But I have been wrong in the past. Most of the indie shops I've been to have not worked on late model cars enough to know the electronics well enough to make a correct diagnosis.

This problem sounds a lot more like the "DME main relay."

Ask the shop for a diag code. If they can still get diagnostic codes the DME main relay fault is 27C4.

dont know if it was a coincidence but could it be the led angel eyes the i installed that fried it? i say this because i only experience this problems only after i installed the led halos.
shop is charging $1350.00 for the DME module n $400.00 to labor n coding
No, the DME could not (physically) be damaged by the parking light change. The parking lights are controlled by the "Light Module." It is physically separate from the DME and it communicates to the DME via a serial data bus.

A used DME is ~$100-$300. $400 for labor is 3-4 hours around here. From my experience coding is the most "costly" part because most of the techs are not all that computer literate and takes them 2x-3x longer than it should.

This issue started as a failed starter (which I believe porsche911targa and ta0sum are correct) but now it has turned into something else? Is the shop keeping power to the battery (either at the jump point under the hood or at the battery terminals)? Sounds like they simply ran out of juice.

One more thing to try now... is removing the IBS sensor. A failed IBS *will* prevent the vehicle from starting (no clicks - no nothing - just a few lights on the dash).
Old 07-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by or_550i
I *suspect* not. But I have been wrong in the past. Most of the indie shops I've been to have not worked on late model cars enough to know the electronics well enough to make a correct diagnosis.

This problem sounds a lot more like the "DME main relay."

Ask the shop for a diag code. If they can still get diagnostic codes the DME main relay fault is 27C4.

No, the DME could not (physically) be damaged by the parking light change. The parking lights are controlled by the "Light Module." It is physically separate from the DME and it communicates to the DME via a serial data bus.

A used DME is ~$100-$300. $400 for labor is 3-4 hours around here. From my experience coding is the most "costly" part because most of the techs are not all that computer literate and takes them 2x-3x longer than it should.

This issue started as a failed starter (which I believe porsche911targa and ta0sum are correct) but now it has turned into something else? Is the shop keeping power to the battery (either at the jump point under the hood or at the battery terminals)? Sounds like they simply ran out of juice.

My car finally started it was the DME Now my ACTIVE STEERING light is on NOW

So it was the DME. my car finally started YES!!!! now I have the ACTIVE STEERING light is on now?
One more thing to try now... is removing the IBS sensor. A failed IBS *will* prevent the vehicle from starting (no clicks - no nothing - just a few lights on the dash).
Old 07-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Members

Car finally started needed new DME. but now my ACTIVE STEERING light is on. I ask tech if it something that he can just re calibrate or reset
But he said that he already tryied that. "More Money More Problems!!"