E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temperature gauge where are you located???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everybody ever notice that on our dash cluster that there is no temperature gauge for the engine???
So how do I know if my car is going to overheat?? Is it gauged on how many miles my car has?
Just wondering??? Everybody pls chime in...
Thanks so much and I appreciate the help
Old 07-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Senior Members

No gauge...you can access the secret menu screen to see the engine temp. I assume once it gets hot enough, near over heating, then idrive will let you know.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jg525i
Everybody ever notice that on our dash cluster that there is no temperature gauge for the engine???
So how do I know if my car is going to overheat?? Is it gauged on how many miles my car has?
Just wondering??? Everybody pls chime in...
Thanks so much and I appreciate the help
no such thing in this car.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

If you have a JB4 you can hijack either the fuel or mpg gauge and have it display the temp, boost, A/F ratio, etc....it's a pretty slick gizmo
Old 07-18-2011, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

:thumbsdown: not having a temp gauge is the main reason I would want to swap clusters to the M5 cluster
Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

thanks guys i appreciate the comments
Old 07-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

The car will warn you in 2 stages. The first is a 'Yellow' temp warning advising you the temperature is above normal and to drive moderately. The second is a 'Red' warning, telling you to stop immediately and allow the car to cool. My car has decided to pop these 2 warnings up annoyingly all the time even though both the dealer and I confirm the car's temp is normal (and can be verified using a car scan tool with PID mapping to see the live sensor temps.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
The car will warn you in 2 stages. The first is a 'Yellow' temp warning advising you the temperature is above normal and to drive moderately. The second is a 'Red' warning, telling you to stop immediately and allow the car to cool. My car has decided to pop these 2 warnings up annoyingly all the time even though both the dealer and I confirm the car's temp is normal (and can be verified using a car scan tool with PID mapping to see the live sensor temps.
thanks for that amazing info buddy so did it warn you because of how fast you where driving or
how many miles have you driven? just curious? and also you think it is worth it to switch to m5 cluster?
thanks again
Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

If you look at the tachometer, there are dashed lines above the 6K-7K RPM mark. If the car is cold, there are alot of dashed lines between 6-7. Usually mine has 3 dashed lines near the 7K at running temperature.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Here's mine at normal operating temp. When the engine is cold the dashes go up to the 6250 RPM mark.

Temperature gauge where are you located???-therm.jpg

Quick Reply: Temperature gauge where are you located???