E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2005 545 Idle question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i - GONE

Ah, forgot to point out, I replaced the fuel filter too, underneath the driver-side rear seat. The metal cap is a bitch to take off if you dont have something to tap it off with a hammer.

Make sure this is snug when you put it back on, I had a vapor leak because I didnt put the cap back on right, had some gasoline shoot up on the seat and what not when I tried to fix this. Probably a good idea to replace when you're low on gas. Good thing about this car, any extra fuel will seep into a drainage hole to underneath the car; long story short, I overfilled my tank (because of that cap) and wasted a crap load of gas.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i - GONE

Originally Posted by NyC545I
I just had my plugs changed along with 2 coil packs few weeks ago it got rid of the misfiring issue but it still doesn't idle right. Any suggestions?
I was thinking I should try and clean the MAF sensor but what technique should I use?
Sorry for the multiple quotes, but as you can see, I've personally done a lot of work on my car. MAF will need to be removed from your intake tube, there's a clip that powers the sensor, disconnect that and remove the MAF from the intake tubing. Use any MAF cleaner, spray it real well in a ventilated area away from your car, the spray may discolor your paint and get you extremely high.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Ducmaniak
Ok, I have searched this forum and others with no definitive solution. When I initially start the car, the idle bounces from about 700-1000 RPM, then after about 4-5 minutes it stops, but the idle stays at 700-750 regardless if the air is on or not. The only code that is thrown right now is P0491 Secondary Air System Bank 1. I have the y-pipe and will be changing it as soon as I have 4 or 5 hours to do it. Could this cause the idle issue as well?

I have changed air filter and cleaned MAF. I tried unplugging the MAF and it will still have the same issue, just not as drastic.
Have the valve lift setting on your car changed from 0.8mm to 0.3mm or vice-versa, depending on which setting you currently are on now. You will need to go to the dealer or an indy shop or to anyone who has one of those computers that can hook up to our cars via the ODB2 port. Our cars are notorious for having failing valvetronic systems starting around 70k miles (sometimes sooner, sometimes later... all depends). This was fixed on the 550i's but since we have earlier generation e60's we are pretty much screwed. The ultimate fix is to have the Valvetronic eccentric shaft and all the intermediate levers replaced. Will cost upward of $4,000!! I had my valve lift setting adjusted in the past but was told that it was just a band-aid fix and I will eventually have to get everything replaced. My indy shop who employs a master BMW tech there said the fix should last anywhere from 10k - 20k miles from my current mileage. So, I'm slowly saving up now for this and will get this done when the problem resurfaces.

As for the valve lift setting change... it should completely cure any shaking and rough idling you have. I should note that I had cleaned my MAF sensor, replaced CCVs, cleaned my intake, and done all the other minor fixes mentioned. Also, there is no need to change your Ignition Coils... these things last until around 120k miles. Also, our computers are very sensitive to a failed Ignition coil and you will definitely get an error if one is bad. Now, if you want to change it just for fun/maintenance then that's another story. Let us know how everything turns out.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i 95,000 miles, light silver grey color/ black interior, SMG tranny, Radar cruise control, Logic 7/ 8.8 inch navi, CDC, PDC, HUD, 20" staggered Beyeron wheels, LCI taillights, window shades, Mtech v3 AE, 8000k HID Bulbs, Full interior LED kit courtesy of (John@motorcepts)

Originally Posted by ck-e60
Sorry for the multiple quotes, but as you can see, I've personally done a lot of work on my car. MAF will need to be removed from your intake tube, there's a clip that powers the sensor, disconnect that and remove the MAF from the intake tubing. Use any MAF cleaner, spray it real well in a ventilated area away from your car, the spray may discolor your paint and get you extremely high.

Thanks for the advice I will try this tomorrow, and will post the results
Old 09-10-2012, 05:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by Ducmaniak
Thanks for the info mrfva. I changed the plugs ( will post pics of plugs, not bad but not real good either), reset idrive, and have ran it for about 1/2 tanks worth of gas. So far it appears that it was a plug issue. Thanks again for all of the help.
Glad to hear it fixed your idling. For me, the problem came back 1-2 weeks after the new plugs were installed. I'm looking into the pressure regulating valve.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545 6MT

Originally Posted by mrfva
Glad to hear it fixed your idling. For me, the problem came back 1-2 weeks after the new plugs were installed. I'm looking into the pressure regulating valve.
Yup, same here, just came back this morning on my way to work. I am dumbfounded now. please keep me posted.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport 1998 M3

Originally Posted by jjsigpi
Have the valve lift setting on your car changed from 0.8mm to 0.3mm or vice-versa, depending on which setting you currently are on now. You will need to go to the dealer or an indy shop or to anyone who has one of those computers that can hook up to our cars via the ODB2 port. Our cars are notorious for having failing valvetronic systems starting around 70k miles (sometimes sooner, sometimes later... all depends). This was fixed on the 550i's but since we have earlier generation e60's we are pretty much screwed. The ultimate fix is to have the Valvetronic eccentric shaft and all the intermediate levers replaced. Will cost upward of $4,000!! I had my valve lift setting adjusted in the past but was told that it was just a band-aid fix and I will eventually have to get everything replaced. My indy shop who employs a master BMW tech there said the fix should last anywhere from 10k - 20k miles from my current mileage. So, I'm slowly saving up now for this and will get this done when the problem resurfaces.

As for the valve lift setting change... it should completely cure any shaking and rough idling you have.
Can this be done with INPA or DIS? Anybody know how?