E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 e60 535D Potential Headgasket. Any help appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:30 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport
Default 2004 e60 535D Potential Headgasket. Any help appreciated!

Hey guys,

Been joined up for a while here and regularly browse so here's my first post! Not on a good start

I bought my 535D back in September, done a 900mile round trip to get it!
It's running 389.6bhp and just under 700nm

I've had a few things go wrong with it, as expected for this sort of power.

Ill start from the beginning, it started pouring out white smoke out of the exhaust, smelt of coolant, ended up to be egr cooler broke up inside (dumping coolant in the exhaust side)
Bought a new one from bmw's, all was good.

It was fine for months, a couple of months ago I lost major boost, inspected it in the morning and turned out to be the pipe from the cooler to the valve blew apart (pressure) Put a new one on, fine again.

Last week a intercooler hose blew apart, (egr side) put a new hose on.

The egr is blanked (but obviously still putting gases through the cooler)
So my guess is the pressure is just blowing it apart. I'm gonna black if off on the manifold.

My latest one is coolant loss, the rad pipes are rock solid, loading water and boiling over. Done a sniff test, come back positive. Done a temporary bypass of the egr cooler (just incase) -same result.

I get rough start on cold start up, but have got flow plug activation on cylinders 1-6 ( plugs or relay to fault)

It's boiling up after 10 mins, I have no warning light on the dash or nothing.

Has anyone got any ideas before I got ahead and do a head gasket on it? Any hidden valves/exchanges? Just that It's pretty rare to see a head gasket go on one of these!

I love the car, and do not want to see it go so any help would be appreciated!

I'm an auto electrician and sub for a second hand bmw dealer so have got some experience of bmw's but I'm just hoping I'm missing out something little and havnt got to do a head gasket.

Thanks
Harry,
Old 03-18-2014, 01:34 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535D Sport

More details on the car.
2004 Sport
Egr blank,
Swirl glad delete
Dpf delete
Panel filter
And remap (all done by EcoTune themselfs)
Old 03-19-2014, 08:04 AM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by PumKa
Hey guys,

Been joined up for a while here and regularly browse so here's my first post! Not on a good start

I bought my 535D back in September, done a 900mile round trip to get it!
It's running 389.6bhp and just under 700nm

I've had a few things go wrong with it, as expected for this sort of power.

Ill start from the beginning, it started pouring out white smoke out of the exhaust, smelt of coolant, ended up to be egr cooler broke up inside (dumping coolant in the exhaust side)
Bought a new one from bmw's, all was good.

It was fine for months, a couple of months ago I lost major boost, inspected it in the morning and turned out to be the pipe from the cooler to the valve blew apart (pressure) Put a new one on, fine again.

Last week a intercooler hose blew apart, (egr side) put a new hose on.

The egr is blanked (but obviously still putting gases through the cooler)
So my guess is the pressure is just blowing it apart. I'm gonna black if off on the manifold.

My latest one is coolant loss, the rad pipes are rock solid, loading water and boiling over. Done a sniff test, come back positive. Done a temporary bypass of the egr cooler (just incase) -same result.

I get rough start on cold start up, but have got flow plug activation on cylinders 1-6 ( plugs or relay to fault)

It's boiling up after 10 mins, I have no warning light on the dash or nothing.

Has anyone got any ideas before I got ahead and do a head gasket on it? Any hidden valves/exchanges? Just that It's pretty rare to see a head gasket go on one of these!

I love the car, and do not want to see it go so any help would be appreciated!

I'm an auto electrician and sub for a second hand bmw dealer so have got some experience of bmw's but I'm just hoping I'm missing out something little and havnt got to do a head gasket.

Thanks
Harry,
Well, that is impressive, 390BPH and 700NM.

It is 40% increase IMHO the car can't handle it without another work

By all you are saying it seems to be really head gasket, or some kind of blockage.
Hard to say.

But tell me something, how did you blanked the EGR?
If I do it on mine it is always showing fault, did you have it removed during the remapping?
Old 11-14-2014, 09:16 AM
Members

Hi PunKa.

My 535d is showing exactly the same symptoms. Also remapped like yours. Have checked egr cooler and appears not to be leaking coolant into intake. Think it must be head gasket. Coolant smells of exhaust. Not overheating, but using a lot of coolant. No water in oil. Coolant hoses rock hard. Did you sort yours?