E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 530i e60 super odd trans issue (auto)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:07 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i e60
Red face 2004 530i e60 super odd trans issue (auto)

so when I got this 530i the transmission was in some kind of limp mode where didn't seem to shift past 3rd gear, you could go about 40 or 50 miles per hour without getting nervous.

so I was driving around like that for a while taking side roads and then decided to have the computers reset by a experienced friend of mine who had the correct equipment. When he's done I pull out of the driveway and I have first gear and all the others but I don't think manual shift was working but anyway the main problem was when shifting out of first and second gear there was a high pitch whine and the car barely moved but then after 3rd gear it drove fantastic on the freeway however when I get off the freeway the problem came back we start off super slow and a high pitched whine getting out of first and I think second. ( if I remember correctly)

I noticed when letting off the gas a little bit it would shift but if you tried to lay into the gas the high pitch whine would come and you wouldn't move anywhere. So I got frustrated and actually held the gas pedal down until the whining stopped and I lost reverse and I'm pretty sure I lost first gear but it's as if I'm riding around in 2nd gear and up, now I can go over 100mph if needed yay but no reverse, boo.

So I guess I broke something but now I can use the car for the freeway still a little slow on take off but nowhere near like it was when the whining was there. I noticed when I put the car in reverse you can hear it slam and if I rev on the gas the car rocks a little. It really hates going up hills and if I let off the brake pedal it actually rolls back so people think I have a manual transmission lol. I just want to know if anyone has any idea what I've done.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:33 PM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Step away from the car.

Call a tow truck.

Have him take it to an indy for diagnosis.