E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2 Minutes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 06:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I've heard complaints about this before, and at times there has been a bit of a delay before my Idrive screen clears the "BMW" logo and starts to work, but this morning it took 2 minutes before everything started working! This is not acceptable!

Does anybody know if there is a fix to this problem? Can't believe BMW didn't see this during product testing of this car.

Wouldn't be so bad, but you can't use ANY car functions (Climate, Entertainment, Navigation, phone) until the screen clears...

Nothing like having to explain to your wife that the $60K car I just bought will have a functional radio "any minute now" as we drive out of the neighborhood...
Old 06-24-2004, 06:38 AM
JDN
Contributors

Not positive about this, but I believe I boot up faster with the doors closed and the seatbelt fastened before turning the ignition.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I wish I could give you better information but for now, repeat after me: "Version 12, Version 12, Version 12, Version 12!"

To be serious, we can only hope that v12 will solve this. On many mornings, I don't get the screen until I've driven a few tenths of a mile (around 2 minutes after startup, I'd say.) My biggest complaint about this is that during the initial "blackout", my PDC display doesn't come on while I back out of my garage (a critical time for me to want to use the display.)

I only notice this in the mornings after the car's been sitting in the garage with the keys in it. Does this happen to you after unlocking the car or are you like me and leave the car unlocked in your garage? I ask this because I think someone else posed the theory that if you lock the car at night, when you unlock it in the morning the car will wake up differently and the screen delay won't happen. I haven't tested this to be able to provide any additional details.

Let us know under what conditions your car exibits this behavior and we'll see if it's worth further experimentation.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:51 AM
Members

Interesting theory on leaving the keys in the ignition overnight. I DO leave my keys in the ignition at night and this problem DOES only happen first thing in the morning after leaving the keys in the ignition.

I will start taking the keys inside at night and report back with my results...
Old 06-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

If the problem still happens to you after taking the keys out on your first test, try locking the car for the second try.

This way, we'll be able to narrow down the conditions on how to duplicate the problem.

Thanks Stu!
Old 06-24-2004, 07:45 AM
JDN
Contributors

Rudy/Stu, my car was sound asleep this morning, unlocked, with keys in my pocket. I got in, closed the door, hooked the seatbelt, fired the engine and activated the garage door opener. Before the garage door stopped raising, I had an accept screen. I punched accept and there was the PDC screen beeping away with all three colors, fore and aft.

I have always been one to hook the seatbelt last and sometimes even wait until I am underway. I also have been annoyed by the delay on the boot up and especially the PDC, Rudy. However, I plan to be more careful with the seatbelt hookup in the future because that could be the difference between a good boot up and a slow one.

Don't know for sure, but will keep trying. Once good experience does not necessarily a problem solve with Mr. E60.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Or the difference could be that your keys were in your pocket and mine (and Stu's) were in the ignition.

It's a pain to troubleshoot these "wakeup" issues since you have to wait so long for the car to go back to sleep but I'm sure with three (or more) of us playing around, we'll come up with something consistent.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

I heard Intel released a new Chipset (3.6ghz and ddr2 mem chips).
Old 06-24-2004, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stu in Austin' date='Jun 24 2004, 08:33 AM
......but this morning it took 2 minutes before everything started working! This is not acceptable!

Does anybody know if there is a fix to this problem? Can't believe BMW didn't see this during product testing of this car.
I park my E60 in the garage with the wall pretty near my front and have to reverse out in the morning. The screen is forced to return when the reverse gear is chosen and PDC senses the wall in front.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

There are settings in most nav systems to NOT power on the system if the temps are below -30C, or above +85C degrees.... In conditions like this the system will hold off power up until it finds the temp is more within spec's.

There is a REMOTE chance the thermal sensor/resistor is thinking it's outside tolerance. If this still happens report it.

BTW: BMW's don't seem to like key in the ignition with the car off. My old E46 nav would lockup when this occured.