E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

13 faults???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I get up one morning, unlock my 2006 E60, try and start it and - not a peep. So I get on the phone to my insurance company (who provide breakdown assistance with my policy). The insurance company send out a local "mechanic" from a local garage.

He trys to jump start it with starter box. Nothing Happens. So he keeps the starter box attached to the battery and attaches another starter box to the connectors under the hud/bonnet. Nothing happens except the dashboard lights up like a christmas tree and then goes blank.

The so called "mechanic" was supposed to give me 1 hour roadside assistance but after trying to jumpstart my car within 10 minutes he quits and say's "I'll have to tow it to your local garage".

48 hrs later my BMW garage call me and ask me "Was the car jumpstarted?", I say yes, he says "It looks like it got a jolt of 24 volts - the car is showing 13 faults" THIRTHEEN FAULTS!!!!

My car is in the BMW garage for over a week now. I need a car so I rang the insurance company who said "It's not on your policy to give a replacement car". Even though it was them who sent me that so called "mechanic".

I need advice guys - this could be very expensive to fix. The dealer says it is either the car got 24 volts or else the battery starter box was put on wrong way round. I am so peeed off.

HELP
Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

I'm sorry man- any qualified mechanic should know they have to be very careful when jump starting any car nowadays. Many Ferraris and other exotics will even destroy the airbag and other ECUs if you jump them with a low battery (like when else would you jump a car?)- it's a delicate procedure and I think I would want only someone who knows exactly what they're getting into, and has the insurance to back them up, should do it.

In your case I'd cram it down teh insurance company as it's their "benefit" that you've paid for, they dispatched the mechanic, and it sure seems he did something wrong. Maybe the dealer will help you explain it to the insurance company, or at least to your agent so he can fight on your behalf.

Good luck and keep us informed- I'm sure there are many member lawyers who will give advice.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

wow...sorry for ur loss. It's definitely 24 volts going in there. Did he ground properly?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

OP Double post!!!

The DME will only log overvoltage and does not log what the voltage was. I HIGHLY doubt that the car was jump started with 24v.

Most likely the voltage sagged and that caused the faults (as we've all seen with other low voltage errors here).

The e60 is simple to jump start. A week ago I ran my battery down playing the radio for many hours. I jump started it the next morning and then I drove 250 problem free miles (with multiple cranks).