E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

13 faults???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I get up one morning, unlock my 2006 E60, try and start it and - not a peep. So I get on the phone to my insurance company (who provide breakdown assistance with my policy). The insurance company send out a local "mechanic" from a local garage.

He trys to jump start it with starter box. Nothing Happens. So he keeps the starter box attached to the battery and attaches another starter box to the connectors under the hud/bonnet. Nothing happens except the dashboard lights up like a christmas tree and then goes blank.

The so called "mechanic" was supposed to give me 1 hour roadside assistance but after trying to jumpstart my car within 10 minutes he quits and say's "I'll have to tow it to your local garage".

48 hrs later my BMW garage call me and ask me "Was the car jumpstarted?", I say yes, he says "It looks like it got a jolt of 24 volts - the car is showing 13 faults" THIRTHEEN FAULTS!!!!

My car is in the BMW garage for over a week now. I need a car so I rang the insurance company who said "It's not on your policy to give a replacement car". Even though it was them who sent me that so called "mechanic".

I need advice guys - this could be very expensive to fix. The dealer says it is either the car got 24 volts or else the battery starter box was put on wrong way round. I am so peeed off.

HELP
Old 03-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I've been saying all along since day 1 here and some disagree... but NEVER jump start a E60... actually any BMW with iDrive for that matter... at least I wouldnt do it. Personal opinion... unless you're stranded in the dessert and a tow truck cant get you to a BMW dealer then thats a different story.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Better to be peed off than peed on bummer tho man hope u get her fixed up
Old 03-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
I've been saying all along since day 1 here and some disagree... but NEVER jump start a E60... actually any BMW with iDrive for that matter... at least I wouldnt do it. Personal opinion... unless you're stranded in the dessert and a tow truck cant get you to a BMW dealer then thats a different story.
WTF? Really? Please go buy a Toyota.
I jump started my car after leaving the radio on all evening and then drove 250 miles problem free miles. It's a simple process and the cars electronics are designed to survive power failures.

I call the dealers bullshit for two reasons:
1) I doubt the tow truck driver managed to give the car 24 volts unless he connected the two starter batteries in series.
2) While the DME can log an overvoltage on VCC it does not store/know how much the voltage was.

More likely than not the battery voltage was simply low and that's what caused the errors.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Contributors

agreed. get the battery charged. I had my batt die a while ago when just sitting there without the engine on and having the volume up. car was difficult to start and then every possible error came up that you could think about. took er onto the highway and drove for 45min and tried turning off and on the car again and everything was fine.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Members

I was away on a long roadtrip through southern California when my battery of (at that time) 4 years went dead. I jump started it plenty of times by other vehicles with no issues, no codes. Had it replaced by my local dealer with no problems. Good luck mate.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

Originally Posted by YeeeHaa
So I get up one morning, unlock my 2006 E60, try and start it and - not a peep. So I get on the phone to my insurance company (who provide breakdown assistance with my policy). The insurance company send out a local "mechanic" from a local garage.

He trys to jump start it with starter box. Nothing Happens. So he keeps the starter box attached to the battery and attaches another starter box to the connectors under the hud/bonnet. Nothing happens except the dashboard lights up like a christmas tree and then goes blank.

The so called "mechanic" was supposed to give me 1 hour roadside assistance but after trying to jumpstart my car within 10 minutes he quits and say's "I'll have to tow it to your local garage".

48 hrs later my BMW garage call me and ask me "Was the car jumpstarted?", I say yes, he says "It looks like it got a jolt of 24 volts - the car is showing 13 faults" THIRTHEEN FAULTS!!!!

My car is in the BMW garage for over a week now. I need a car so I rang the insurance company who said "It's not on your policy to give a replacement car". Even though it was them who sent me that so called "mechanic".

I need advice guys - this could be very expensive to fix. The dealer says it is either the car got 24 volts or else the battery starter box was put on wrong way round. I am so peeed off.

HELP
I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. I had to do a double take then I realized your thread was posted in quadruplicate.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

Originally Posted by corey
I feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. I had to do a double take then I realized your thread was posted in quadruplicate.
Yeah! What's going on here?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

I guess the main mistake was assuming what the dealership told you was true??

I had a low battery a week ago, and iDrive was relentless with fault messages: restraint system, driving stability, bla bla... I made a thread about it here and everything, but it was nothing, a few hours on the charger cleared that right up. I know that some of us over-react when we get a weird message here or there, but I, like you, was not expecting 1000 malfunctions for a low battery lol
Old 03-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03

Jumped my car twice with zero issues.

Quick Reply: 13 faults???