E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

$115 Enable mp3

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by ivan545' post='370008' date='Dec 21 2006, 03:55 PM
I just took my car in for the eye brows issue it's been fixed i've also asked the dealer to enable my mp3 capabilities, there is a charge of $115.00 for the work, i agreed to it it's not expensive for the useful functions, what do you guys think?? Is it fair or is it too much or it should be free? I can't wait to pick up my car today to start using the mp3
I've posted the bulletins elsewhere. Retrofit for MP3 is covered under warranty and is not supposed to be charged & MP3 bulletin states from SOP (Start of Production) which means no hardware mods required (but if something is broke BMW must fix it).

I'll post here as they may be updated since last posting

I post the titles so members can find my search

SI B65 30 05
Sound System, Cruise, Alarms, Monitors March 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B65 30 05 dated January 2006.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
CCC: MP3 CD Playback Not Available

---

SI B 01 09 06
Warranty November 2006
Warranty

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B01 09 06 dated October 2006.

SUBJECT
Defect Code for Programming Prior to Accessory Retrofit
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SIB_010906.pdf (11.7 KB, 178 views)
File Type: pdf
SIB_653005.pdf (13.1 KB, 138 views)
Old 12-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Senior Members

Cobradav,

I must say, you are always a WEALTH of knowledge. I had no idea that they made it free of charge for us older e60 owners. Man, this makes me what to jump up and down. I'm going to hit up my dealership tomorrow to setup an appointment.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='370180' date='Dec 21 2006, 10:16 PM
I've posted the bulletins elsewhere. Retrofit for MP3 is covered under warranty and is not supposed to be charged & MP3 bulletin states from SOP (Start of Production) which means no hardware mods required (but if something is broke BMW must fix it).

I'll post here as they may be updated since last posting

I post the titles so members can find my search

SI B65 30 05
Sound System, Cruise, Alarms, Monitors March 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B65 30 05 dated January 2006.

SUBJECT
CCC: MP3 CD Playback Not Available

---

SI B 01 09 06
Warranty November 2006
Warranty

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B01 09 06 dated October 2006.

SUBJECT
Defect Code for Programming Prior to Accessory Retrofit
Old 12-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the posting of this useful information, i justed called my bmw dealership and told them about it and they said sorry for taking the money and they will refund me, but another problem i have is that i originally took my car in for the eye brows it was not fixed and they said it was , apparently the techs didn't know that it was the eye brows that i was talking about so i have to drop it off again to the dealership hopefully this time it doesn't take two more days. But i got my MP3 working and i'm happy and i have been complying musics all morning
Thanks again!!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

I called today regarding the same issue. I was able to get an appointment next Wednesday to get it fixed. Only one dealership would take the time to look up the SIB information. The rest wouldn't take the time, and told me I was wrong. They kept telling me no, I was talking about an iPod interface.... WOW! Either way, I am getting it put on. This means that I get RDS now as well. Anyway, just thought I'd contribute.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Members

My Ride: -2004 BMW 545i. Silver Grey Metalic. with Black Int.: Sport, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Heated Rear Seats, MP3 Retrofit. (Production date: Jan 2004) -2002 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. Seal Gray with Black Int. & Top: Tiptronic, Heated Seats, Bose Sound.

I just had the Mp3 retrofit done on my 04 545 and it was free and works great. I also had the same problem with multiple dealers in the SF Bay area. Most of them said MP3 play is Not possible. Thanks to this forum and people like Rudy and Corbradav I was able to force the Service Manager to look up the SIB.

I had this same problem for the BlueTooth functionality. Does BMW train there service reps?
It always make me nervous dropping my car off at BMW when I have to tell them about there SIB's.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by OU812545' post='370400' date='Dec 22 2006, 06:38 PM
I just had the Mp3 retrofit done on my 04 545 and it was free and works great. I also had the same problem with multiple dealers in the SF Bay area. Most of them said MP3 play is Not possible. Thanks to this forum and people like Rudy and Corbradav I was able to force the Service Manager to look up the SIB.

I had this same problem for the BlueTooth functionality. Does BMW train there service reps?
It always make me nervous dropping my car off at BMW when I have to tell them about there SIB's.

I was also wondering about the blue tooth myself my car is made on 07/04 , i'm not sure is it something they can turn on or i have to do a retrofit. I know how you feel about telling the bmw reps about looking in the SIB it's like telling them to do their job when some already do know what their doing blue tooth, i'll ask the next time i take it into the dealer for my brakes coming up in 3000 miles.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it requires navigation system.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ivan545' post='370531
I think it requires navigation system.
Bluetooth does not requires Nav. MP3 does.
I had BT retrofit done a while ago, they did charge me for it.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Contributors

When I had my car in for service last summer I asked for RDS and mp3 to be enabled. They did only the RDS part of it, not mp3, since my car was too old (12/04 production date). When I went back last month for a brake fluid change I asked them about mp3 again, and I brought with me a print out from the forum. They did it - no problem. It was free of charge and works like a charm.
I don't know what SW version I am on, now, but although I have mp3 now, I have a few other problems (all of which have been discussed in here):
- my eyebrows are gone (I am not sure if they have a fix for that, yet)
- my iDrive freezes once in a while. The other day it froze, when I parked the car, pulled the key it kept playing music and wouldn't turn off

One question I have. Do I need to remind them to keep mp3 enabled next time they update the SW, or do they see that I have mp3 and make sure it is still there after any type of sw upgrade?
Old 12-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Members

My Ride: -2004 BMW 545i. Silver Grey Metalic. with Black Int.: Sport, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Heated Rear Seats, MP3 Retrofit. (Production date: Jan 2004) -2002 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. Seal Gray with Black Int. & Top: Tiptronic, Heated Seats, Bose Sound.

That is a good question. I think I read a post that is it a good idea to remind the service reps that you had the MP3 retrofit done.
BTW, My eyebrows are gone as well.

The MP3 file playing is much better than I expected. I read several posts that you can only have 8 character files names. That is not the case. I have long files names and they show up perfectly in the display. I created the CD with several Sub folders to help organize my music. No need for the iPOD interface now.

The only problem I have had is that some songs end before they are really complete. I'm not sure if that was due to a bump in the road. I will keep testing and enjoying the MP3.

Quick Reply: $115 Enable mp3