E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

100,000 miles anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Howitzer
I would not do it considering the year of your car. Remember that CPO is *6 years or 100k miles... and the *6 years is from the "IN-SERVICE" date. So if your car was born on 11/04 your CPO warranty would expire on 11/10 even if you bought it today. They always fail to mention that to people... I wonder why?!!? :thumbsdown: You're better off with a solid 3rd party warranty that doesn't have that date restriction. Eithe way, I'd just set aside 1000 a year for maintenance. In 3 years you'll have 3,000 saved which should be plenty instead of spending it all at once on a 3rd party warranty which you might never use. Up to you.
This is a very important detail. It's advertised as 4 years or 100,000 miles...but that's assuming you are within 6 years of the born on date. Very misleading.
My V8 is still purring strong. Like I said, no major problems. People can't believe it's got 100,000 miles on it. I keep it detailed and it's still a fresh design.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by KREED_550i
Just wondering... Is 100k not as bad these days as it used to be say 10-15 years ago? I would think with good maintenance and today's technology that cars would last longer? Plus, I heard while BMW's are expensive to maintain they are solid and expected to last.
have always done my brakes, oil and minor fixes. Just looking at the 5er after my first diy oil change, it's one stout piece of machinery. Love it.

I think the build quality is obvious and much better than other American and Japanese cars I've had. It's also much better than my 03 a4. Reliable as heck.

Iceman has pointed out the possibility of a gasket failure in the cooling system. It's a seal in a water pipe that run between the front block and rear block. The pipe sits under the induction gear and is visible on top of the block with the former removed. Iceman claims there are a raft of failures and BMW knows there is a problem and has not addressed it. He further says it's a part that fails over time and, based on similar issues with the 7 series, will start to occur soon.

I haven't seen any reports on this board of this failure yet and otherwise the 5er seems bullet proof knock on wood.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan
have always done my brakes, oil and minor fixes. Just looking at the 5er after my first diy oil change, it's one stout piece of machinery. Love it.

I think the build quality is obvious and much better than other American and Japanese cars I've had. It's also much better than my 03 a4. Reliable as heck.

Iceman has pointed out the possibility of a gasket failure in the cooling system. It's a seal in a water pipe that run between the front block and rear block. The pipe sits under the induction gear and is visible on top of the block with the former removed. Iceman claims there are a raft of failures and BMW knows there is a problem and has not addressed it. He further says it's a part that fails over time and, based on similar issues with the 7 series, will start to occur soon.

I haven't seen any reports on this board of this failure yet and otherwise the 5er seems bullet proof knock on wood.
Thanks for the info. I would like to keep this for awhile. Just hit 60k this past weekend.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Members

You guys are worried about nothing I would never replace something if it's not broken.

138k miles and still going strong only had a broken vibration dampner and the airmass meter is busted at the moment. Power steering pump getting a bit noisy though