E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

1-year old

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 04:16 PM
DDW
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 530i-Silver Grey / Grey, Premium, Sport, PDC

My ?05 530I is One year old this week! With 8,800 miles of shear driving pleasure under my belt, I?ve been fighting back the urge to go ahead and change the oil/filter since about 5,000mi. When I took her in for the one year service today I learned that oil/filter is all they would be doing. The service mgr. explained the one year?s time service is just for oil/filter - that in another 2,200 miles ( the car?s service interval ) I would bring it back for another oil/filter + complete service check- brakes-wipers-air filter ect ?So I tucked my list back into my pocket and will wait a while longer ( nothing serious )
Is this the standard one yr. service deal ??
Has anyone else had more / less service - at one year - before service interval mileage?

PS: I did bring up the Dunlop RF tire SIB complaining about the noise & vibration. He said it was news to him & would look in to it. <_<
Old 12-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by DDW' post='210512' date='Dec 12 2005, 08:16 PM
My ?05 530I is One year old this week! With 8,800 miles of shear driving pleasure under my belt, I?ve been fighting back the urge to go ahead and change the oil/filter since about 5,000mi. When I took her in for the one year service today I learned that oil/filter is all they would be doing. The service mgr. explained the one year?s time service is just for oil/filter - that in another 2,200 miles ( the car?s service interval ) I would bring it back for another oil/filter + complete service check- brakes-wipers-air filter ect ?So I tucked my list back into my pocket and will wait a while longer ( nothing serious )
Has anyone else had more / less service - at one year - before service interval mileage?

PS: I did bring up the Dunlop RF tire SIB complaining about the noise & vibration. He said it was news to him & would look in to it. <_<
I'm not sure about the 1-year service thing. I just put my warranty info up. Just check it out in your warranty booklet. On the RTFs, if you have the new Dunlop RTF's, then you may be out of luck although it doesn't seem like the issue should be the brand. From a recent post, I made:

"Full Maintenance covers all factory recommended maintenance, as determined by the Condition Based Service System. Additional items that need replacement due to normal wear and tear, and that are not covered by the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty - such brake pads, brake rotors, and wiper blade inserts - are included, provided wear and tear exceeds BMW wear limits."

I can't guarantee it, but it seems like tire wear or noise from tire wear exceeding BMW wear limits ought to be covered no matter what the tire. But, note that I have not studied even the available warranty info exhaustively. So, who knows? Tires may be excluded from warranty almost no matter what the wear; it would depend perhaps on "size" of the "BMW wear limits." And, regardless of all I have said, some apparently have ended up between BMW and Dunlop given excessively worn "new model" Dunlop RTFs--where apparently the dealer agrees that the tires are excessively worn.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:55 PM
DDW
Contributors

I left my warranty booklet with the service mgr. to be filled out. So I cant look at it again right now - but I don?t think I ever saw anything about the one year service, I was told that by my salesman when I bought the car. ?bring it in 1yr. or when the car tells you to - whichever comes 1st?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by DDW' post='210549' date='Dec 12 2005, 09:55 PM
I left my warranty booklet with the service mgr. to be filled out. So I cant look at it again right now - but I don?t think I ever saw anything about the one year service, I was told that by my salesman when I bought the car. ?bring it in 1yr. or when the car tells you to - whichever comes 1st?
I think I have heard something like that too. OK, I'll get my warranty book out again. Hang on.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

Originally Posted by DDW' post='210512' date='Dec 12 2005, 08:16 PM

I too took my 545 in for a one year service interval, in November, with 8500 miles, and they too told me that they would also do a Oil + Filter change, and that I was to wait for the service interval indicator to go off, in another 2200 miles to get the remainder of the service functions performed. I too asked if at that point they would do another oil + filter change, and was also told they would. Same story here in Redskins land. Sorry I couldn't resist. Still remember the famous game with the Clint Longley Hail Mary pass.

Joe
Old 12-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DDW' post='210549' date='Dec 12 2005, 09:55 PM
OK, I made a quick pass through my warranty book, and I'll post again if I notice anything else later. The only year reference I find is "Note: Change oil at least once a year." And, on tires, in the back of the book, I found:

"Tires are warranted by their respective manufacturer as detailed in the applicable tire manufacturer's warranty statements. .... Should you experience difficulty in obtaining warranty service from a tire manufacturer, your authorized BMW center will assist you in resolving the difficulty."

From other cars, I should have recalled earlier that tires are warranted by their manufacturers. Apparently, BMW dealers are finding Dunlop difficult to deal with. The problem may have to do with the way BMW's are setup from the factory--to provide the ultimate driving experience, but not necessarily the ultimate tire experience. I have seen others claim that the BMW setup can contribute to, or cause, unusual tire wear, but you couldn't prove it by me. Maybe some in the know will chime in.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:18 PM
DDW
Contributors

Thanksgiving dinner along with a victory for desert 24-23 Alas the good old cowboy - redskins days

Thanks vnod,
My tires are vibrating through the steering wheel & have a oscillating roaring that has gotten worse in the cold. Looking at the inside fronts the wear pattern is just as described in the TIB cupped at an angle.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DDW' post='210556' date='Dec 12 2005, 10:18 PM
Thanksgiving dinner along with a victory for desert 24-23 Alas the good old cowboy - redskins days

Thanks vnod,
My tires are vibrating through the steering wheel & have a oscillating roaring that has gotten worse in the cold. Looking at the inside fronts the wear pattern is just as described in the TIB cupped at an angle.
You are very welcome. Good luck with the tires. I have lost track. Are your tires Dunlop RFT's? If so, then check out this tread and all the links on it. I looked back--yes Dunlop RFT's.