E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Noobie Need SIRIUS help asap -- my car is at the dealer right now!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So excited to be here -- this is my first E60.

I just picked up a 2006 550i and I can't seem to get the sirius activated. I am a long time sirius/xm customer and had the account wsitched over to the new car's ESN. But it won't activate. I was on the phone with them for hours and now the car is at the dealer -- but the dealer says that the Sirius, etc is not covered by the extended warranty :-(

So here's the deal:

1. the previous owner had the 1-year free and let it run out -- he said that it worked fine.
2. In the i-drive I can see the stations but when I select any station it says "call sirius and give them the esn"
3. there is NO SOUND. FM and CD work fine and then when tuining to SAT there is nothing -- should there be sound on 1 and 184

Any help - advice? thanks in advance.

After we get this solved we can work on the losing the wood trim options and the soft suspension (on my sport package car)

Thanks
David in Irvine, OC SoCal
Old 12-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by dcf_OC' post='1082041' date='Dec 30 2009, 09:36 PM
So excited to be here -- this is my first E60.
I just picked up a 2006 550i and I can't seem to get the sirius activated. I am a long time sirius/xm customer and had the account wsitched over to the new car's ESN. But it won't activate. I was on the phone with them for hours and now the car is at the dealer -- but the dealer says that the Sirius, etc is not covered by the extended warranty :-(
So here's the deal:
1. the previous owner had the 1-year free and let it run out -- he said that it worked fine.
2. In the i-drive I can see the stations but when I select any station it says "call sirius and give them the esn"
3. there is NO SOUND. FM and CD work fine and then when tuining to SAT there is nothing -- should there be sound on 1 and 184
Any help - advice? thanks in advance.
After we get this solved we can work on the losing the wood trim options and the soft suspension (on my sport package car)
Thanks
David in Irvine, OC SoCal
If you "just" bought this car [from a BMW dealer??] what does their position on what is covered by the "extended warranty" have to do with features and functions on a newly purchased car have to do with anything other than delivering a car on which everything works!

My Sat ratio activation was easy -- 5 minutes on the phone with Sirius ... but your receiver may have gone bad. Get the seller to replace it - period ... end of sentence.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1082044' date='Dec 30 2009, 06:44 PM
If you "just" bought this car [from a BMW dealer??] what does their position on what is covered by the "extended warranty" have to do with features and functions on a newly purchased car have to do with anything other than delivering a car on which everything works!

My Sat ratio activation was easy -- 5 minutes on the phone with Sirius ... but your receiver may have gone bad. Get the seller to replace it - period ... end of sentence.
I got it from a private party - not the dealer -- but it still has the extended warranty.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Members

I had the same problem....hours on the phone with Sirrus. (identical situation to yours!)

The Sirrus people were absolutely clueless, and the dealer said it wasn't their problem. I finally gave up.

I am interested to hear suggestions from others.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I understand the predicament that you're in -- everyone is pointing their finger at someone else and you're stuck in the middle...

My suggestion is to see if there's another member here that has a current Sirius subscription and lives nearby (I know we have members in OC as well as Edmonton.) If so, you could try taking the good Sirius receiver from one car and temporarily installing it in the other (non working) car to see if it makes a difference. You could also try installing the bad receiver into the good car and calling Sirius back to see if they can activate it (don't bother explaining to them all the details of your swapping, etc. -- it'll just confuse and/or mislead them into thinking about stuff that they know nothing about.)

Depending on what you learn from this little test, the solution may be easier to figure out...
Old 12-31-2009, 04:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I had fits getting Sirius activated on my wife's MB. Here's what I had to do to finally get it to work:

Move the car in my driveway to ensure I got a clear signal.
Turn off the car, remove the key from the ignition, open and close the driver side door.
Wait about 10 minutes - when I started the car the SAT radio was activated.

It turns out that the radio wouldn't activate unless the car was COMPLETELY powered down. Just turning the ignition off didn't work, the electronics would still hold power.

For the e60, you may have to also lock the door with the remote after you open and close the door. Hope this helps....G/L
Old 12-31-2009, 05:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

that sucks for you guys.. sorry to hear.. i would DIE without my sirius
Old 12-31-2009, 06:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535i

If they are being jerks, you could fight them, but it is always such a pain in the butt to draw things out.

If Sirius is a necessity I don't think it is difficult or too expensive to get a new receiver installed. It sounds like the receiver.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Also - I remember that I didn't get sound on any channels when setting Sirius up on my wife's car either.

Again - I think the problem is that the radio is not powering down completely. Please try the steps in my previous post and let us know the results.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka' post='1082305' date='Dec 31 2009, 08:11 AM
Also - I remember that I didn't get sound on any channels when setting Sirius up on my wife's car either.

Again - I think the problem is that the radio is not powering down completely. Please try the steps in my previous post and let us know the results.

Thanks! that's great info -- when I get the car back from the dealer today I will try again.

Now how can I make my suspension stiffer and how can I lose the wood trim inside?

Quick Reply: Noobie Need SIRIUS help asap -- my car is at the dealer right now!