E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

08 550i sport..Remove resonators or RPI exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got a 545 and I removed the most rear resonators...the car sounded somewhat deeper but no cigar. Ive got friends with e500 benzs and those cars sound great with a res delete but I decided to add a BIlly boat to the equation and damn my car sounds perfect.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
No probs. Yeah, just take a peak under the car and you'll see the actuator on the muffler. To remove the arm from the lever takes a little effort. You'll see where it connects, but I found that the easiest thing was to just grind down the weld, which allowed the arm to pop right off of the lever. Then I just zip tied the lever to that bracket on the muffler body in the open position so it doesn't rattle. Once you pop the arm off of the lever the flapper inside the muffler port will just flap around and rattle if you don't tie it off in the open position. You'll see what I'm talking about once you take a look.
For me, the easiest way to keep the flap open was to put a male - male end vacuum hose adaptor between the incoming vacuum line, and the line that goes to the muffler. I just bypassed the solenoid that opens/closes it. Cost me under a buck and a few minutes of time. Plus it's easily reversable.

Didn't notice a huge difference in sound though. I want to take the plunge and go RPI, but am afraid I would lose the quiet comfort when I'm just crusing.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by saf545
Ive got a 545 and I removed the most rear resonators...the car sounded somewhat deeper but no cigar. Ive got friends with e500 benzs and those cars sound great with a res delete but I decided to add a BIlly boat to the equation and damn my car sounds perfect.
do you have any videos by any chance?
Old 01-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gcvt
Why do people video tape exhaust clips indoors?
+1, probably amplifies the sound
Old 01-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

What I was saying is that a lot of people have searched for tips similar to RPI but to no avail.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by matthewlfd
For me, the easiest way to keep the flap open was to put a male - male end vacuum hose adaptor between the incoming vacuum line, and the line that goes to the muffler. I just bypassed the solenoid that opens/closes it. Cost me under a buck and a few minutes of time. Plus it's easily reversable.
Bypassing the the actuator keeps the flapper open? How?

The way I did mine is reverseable as well.....but I am interested in how yours works
Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

Originally Posted by jashy247
+1, probably amplifies the sound
LOL - I've honestly never understood this. It really just amplifies the noises you don't want to hear. If you're gonna post an exhaust sound clip, people don't want to hear it indoors...that's not where they drive their cars.

/pet peeve
Old 01-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Members

Bypassing the the actuator keeps the flapper open? How?

The way I did mine is reverseable as well.....but I am interested in how yours works
The flapper is held open with manifold vacuum. When the engine is running, vacuum is sent to the solenoid, then the computer decides when to activate the solenoid to allow vacuum to the actuator on the muffler.

They way I have mine is that whenever the car is running, the flapper is held open.

At least thats how I thought it worked.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

What year is yours? Where is the solenoid located? As far as I can tell mine only has the actuator...no solenoid. I see the vac line, but it goes from the actuator straight up into the bumper, and I would assume goes to a vac source from the engine. I see no solenoid.
My assumption was that the actuator controls the flapper based on engine vacuum/ pressure
Old 01-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Members

What year is yours? Where is the solenoid located? As far as I can tell mine only has the actuator...no solenoid. I see the vac line, but it goes from the actuator straight up into the bumper, and I would assume goes to a vac source from the engine. I see no solenoid.
My assumption was that the actuator controls the flapper based on engine vacuum/ pressure
It's an '05. The solenoid is on the inside DS trunk panel. Mine was buried under several electronic modules.

Quick Reply: 08 550i sport..Remove resonators or RPI exhaust?