E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

08 535/550 with new Sport Auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by cader' post='430491' date='May 31 2007, 08:55 PM
Yeah, probably about 2 weeks before me as far as shipping (28 days estimated shipping to West Coast)...but, i thought i read you were possibly getting Performance Center Delivery...not sure if that delays, speeds up, etc...? Ive got status 150 too...
Although I highly recommend doing a Performance Center delivery, I'm choosing not to do it this time around because it adds a few weeks to the delivery date. I do plan on going down to the PC on my own this year to attend some of the driving schools, etc.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

I can't seem to find the write-up on the new Sport Auto. Everything I seem to find shows that the Sport Auto has the paddle shifters and that is about it - they say the regular trans has the updates for the quicker shifting. Can anyone confirm?
Old 05-31-2007, 05:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi

I might get mine before you get yours -- doesn't it take longer to get to the West coast? Clearly we won't beat mdreiling...

I'm status 150 right now...
Although I highly recommend doing a Performance Center delivery, I'm choosing not to do it this time around because it adds a few weeks to the delivery date. I do plan on going down to the PC on my own this year to attend some of the driving schools, etc.
Good choice...so, I will get at least 2 reviews of the Sport Auto before delivery...so much for the "Gold" in this one - best case will be "Bronze" - and a brand new 550i!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='430503' date='May 31 2007, 08:52 PM
I can't seem to find the write-up on the new Sport Auto. Everything I seem to find shows that the Sport Auto has the paddle shifters and that is about it - they say the regular trans has the updates for the quicker shifting. Can anyone confirm?
I was looking at the 2008 manual, and here's what it says:

You can shift manually with paddle shifters. Pull to shift up, push to shift down.

You can select Normal or Sport, refer to Dynamic Driving Control.

That is stated to be as follows
:

*speed range is optimally utilized;
*gearshifts are faster;
*engine responds more spontaneously to accelerator pedal movements;
*steering responds more spontaneously to steering wheel movements;
*in the automatic mode, 6th gear is not engaged.

So it's more than just paddle shifters, it engages different control responses (software driven I imagine)

To activate, push the"Sport" button.

To deactivate
(and this is interesting!): press the Sport button again; engage reverse gear; switch engine off.

So to get out of the Sport mode, you need to pull over and turn the car off. If you're on the highway and want to use the feature, turning it off is not just "push the button." Not having 6th gear at highway speeds when you're done playing could be a royal pain, unless 6th is available in the manual mode.

Lou
Old 05-31-2007, 08:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i with just about every option- Space Gray/Black/Bamboo Wood/OEM M6 Wheels

My 535i Sport Auto Trans. will be completed June 7th-

Now heres the dilemma- If I pick it up at the dealership I get it at the end of June- If I pick it up at the performance center (as originally scheduled) the soonest I can get it is July 30th.

I would rather get it in June- any opinions?
Old 06-01-2007, 02:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

wow carbon black is available for 08 models? That was one of my fav BMW color!
Old 06-01-2007, 02:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 1994 Mazda RX-7 2007 BMW 328xi 2008 BMW 550i (Sep 4 Munich delivery)

Originally Posted by BMWSTL' post='430542' date='Jun 1 2007, 12:06 AM
To activate, push the"Sport" button.

To deactivate
(and this is interesting!): press the Sport button again; engage reverse gear; switch engine off.

So to get out of the Sport mode, you need to pull over and turn the car off. If you're on the highway and want to use the feature, turning it off is not just "push the button." Not having 6th gear at highway speeds when you're done playing could be a royal pain, unless 6th is available in the manual mode.

Lou
I'm not so sure that there is an "and" between those three conditions (pressing Sport button again, engaging reverse, switching engine off) - I think it's probably an "or" (meaning that any of those 3 conditions?indivdually?WILL disengage sport mode and return to normal). ?Certainly I hope that is the case, we'll have to see (I have one on order too, ED pickup 4 Sep). ?The only one I would not have included is disengaging on "reverse" - I do see the value of having the car start up in "normal" mode upon engine start though. ?Agree with your other points too.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

My 535d M Sport is built next week and has this option.

Delivery could be as soon as 20th June, but that remains to be seen. Not sure what to expect other than you can control the shift via the wheel, rather than moving the gear shift back and forwards as per my current 4.8iS X5.

Either way, should be a bit of fun for a while
Old 06-01-2007, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 1994_RX-7_Tour' post='430647' date='Jun 1 2007, 06:25 AM
I'm not so sure that there is an "and" between those three conditions (pressing Sport button again, engaging reverse, switching engine off) - I think it's probably an "or" (meaning that any of those 3 conditions?indivdually?WILL disengage sport mode and return to normal). ?Certainly I hope that is the case, we'll have to see (I have one on order too, ED pickup 4 Sep). ?The only one I would not have included is disengaging on "reverse" - I do see the value of having the car start up in "normal" mode upon engine start though. ?Agree with your other points too.
I agree that it's likely any one of those three conditions will deactivate sport mode. Actually that's exactly the way it works now on the SMG -- sport mode is turned off if any of those three things occur...
Old 06-01-2007, 05:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='430682' date='Jun 1 2007, 07:43 AM
I agree that it's likely any one of those three conditions will deactivate sport mode. Actually that's exactly the way it works now on the SMG -- sport mode is turned off if any of those three things occur...
Thanks for clarifying. The manual was less than clear. I've only driven SMG equipped cars for short periods and didn't know that. On the other hand, control functions on German cars are not always "logical."

Lou

Quick Reply: 08 535/550 with new Sport Auto Transmission