E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 550I transmission fault after upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 08:10 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

I have a few questions

How do you know it's not pumping the fluid?
Do you have drive?
If you don't have drive then I would suspect that it is sucking air and you haven't fitted the seals between your transmission and valve body correctly
Old 06-28-2018, 08:13 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver 07 550I E60 automatic
Model Year: 2007
Engine: v8

It's on jack stands, I pumped 3.5 quarts into it until a slow drop comes out fill hole, then started car and let it warm up, removed fill plug and it's a steady slow stream of fluid coming out and transmission malfunction warning pops up, I also changed the mechatronics sleeve tonight
Old 06-28-2018, 10:11 PM
New Members

Okay did you make sure the bottom of the transmission pan is flat? Or slightly higher at the rear?
If yes, then I think your seals between the valve body and transmission are not sealing correctly

Did you replace them?
Old 06-29-2018, 04:38 AM
Members

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 530i base, blue with saddle leather
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Dvirg10
It's on jack stands, I pumped 3.5 quarts into it until a slow drop comes out fill hole, then started car and let it warm up, removed fill plug and it's a steady slow stream of fluid coming out and transmission malfunction warning pops up, I also changed the mechatronics sleeve tonight
It sounds like it's not pumping fluid through the system at all. Either the pump isn't running, or the system is stopped up somewhere.

Did you confirm that all the bridge seals were correctly installed? Did the mechatronics torque down fully? Are any of the pins on the connectors pushed in? Was the sealing ring on the new pan's fluid uptake tube correctly installed? Some pans have a seal on the uptake tube on the pan when new, was it removed?

What are the malfunction codes you get? What do they mean?

Hate to say it, but I'd be ready to strip it back down and figure it out before I ran it again. If there is no fluid circulation, there's no lubrication.

Last edited by banglenot; 06-29-2018 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:59 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by E60Japanese
Okay did you make sure the bottom of the transmission pan is flat? Or slightly higher at the rear?
If yes, then I think your seals between the valve body and transmission are not sealing correctly

Did you replace them?
Yes I replaced all 4 valve seals and the bridge seal the new valve seals stuck out maybe 1/8 inch but what I've read that is normal, bridge seal can only be installed one way so Im pretty sure it's correct
Old 06-29-2018, 09:05 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by banglenot
It sounds like it's not pumping fluid through the system at all. Either the pump isn't running, or the system is stopped up somewhere.

Did you confirm that all the bridge seals were correctly installed? Did the mechatronics torque down fully? Are any of the pins on the connectors pushed in? Was the sealing ring on the new pan's fluid uptake tube correctly installed? Some pans have a seal on the uptake tube on the pan when new, was it removed?

What are the malfunction codes you get? What do they mean?

Hate to say it, but I'd be ready to strip it back down and figure it out before I ran it again. If there is no fluid circulation, there's no lubrication.
As far as I can tell all new seals are correct, I dropped the valve body to confirm all was correctly install the 4 valve sleeves stuck out a little but I think that's normal on new valve seals, bridge seal can only go on one way, yes my new pan had a cap on uptake that I removed. I'm out of options for things to try, I cleared error memory using inpa then started the car and service engine light came on then I scanned it again getting 2 EGS errors, 4F81 F8 and 4F84 78, research says they are clutch related thank you all very much for the help
Old 06-30-2018, 08:04 AM
New Members

Default Bapmic pan

Still brain storming on what could possibly be wrong. Has anyone used the Bapmic pan/filter for 6hp26? That's the one I used but starting to question if it's uptake neck is sealing correctly when I put the pan on. My transmission is GA6HP26Z
Old 06-30-2018, 08:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

You told us you took the plastic cap of the filter/pan assembly, do you rember seeing a green (at least with ZF assembly) "O" ring seated on the filter pickup assembly, under plastic cap and did you put some ATF fluid on the ring, to prevent it from hanging on the transmission, while you were assembling it. Absent the Oring it will suck air all day long...
Good Luck!
Old 06-30-2018, 08:45 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
You told us you took the plastic cap of the filter/pan assembly, do you rember seeing a green (at least with ZF assembly) "O" ring seated on the filter pickup assembly, under plastic cap and did you put some ATF fluid on the ring, to prevent it from hanging on the transmission, while you were assembling it. Absent the Oring it will suck air all day long...
Good Luck!
Yes the old pan was removed with O ring attached, the shipping cap was removed exposing new O ring installed on uptake neck and yes I fluid on new O ring. When I dropped the new pan to check everything, I noticed a faint mark on one side of the top of the uptake neck, may have been nothing considering the pan goes up easily but it made me Question if I made a mistake not using oem pan
Old 06-30-2018, 03:44 PM
New Members

I don't have an OEM pan on my car and it's fine.
But it's a very good point that the oil ring may be damaged and sucking air.

If you have a replacement oil ring it would be good to replace it and test

I really thing this issue is something small
I am happy to read that you are trying to fix it

Keep listening to people's suggestions and keep trying

Great people on this site to help when ever they can

Quick Reply: 07 550I transmission fault after upgrades