E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

07 550I transmission fault after upgrades

Old 06-24-2018, 07:11 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver 07 550I E60 automatic
Model Year: 2007
Engine: v8
Default 07 550I transmission fault after upgrades

First off I have learned a great deal from this site and I am very appreciative. MY E60 has 140k miles and started experiencing jerky/slams in 1st/2nd and once around 4th and also had some short speedy shifting occasionally. After reading I decided to replace fluid/pan, 4 valve sleeves, bridge gasket, and all 7 solenoids. After I was able to pump 3.5 quarts into the tranny and then went to start car and shift gears allowing the tranny to pick up the fluid so I could add the remaining 3 to 4 quarts. The car on jack stands, would not go into drive or reverse. Then 2 fault codes showed P17e1 and P17e4. I don't have INPA yet but I'm working on it. Any ideas of what could be wrong?

Also I planned on changing the megatronics plug sleeve but there was not enough room to remove the old sleeve so I put the old one back in. I have since found out I could put a jack stand under rear tranny and remove the rear tranny mount to get the sleeve out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:28 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 530d
Engine: M57

Id take a look at the refill procedure first. Did you run the engine while filling the transmission until it started running out of the pan?

Service Info PDF
Old 06-25-2018, 08:42 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

I could not remove my old mechatronics sleeve either, there simply is not enough room. So I just reused the old plastic sleeve but swapped the new rubber o-rings, performing the transplant operation in the cramped space between the transmission and the unibody.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:46 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by ripley
Id take a look at the refill procedure first. Did you run the engine while filling the transmission until it started running out of the pan?

Service Info PDF
I agree but that is when filling it up to the correct amount the engine doesn't need to be running for the first 3 to 4 quarts, basically filling up the new pan. It won't go into gear to suck up the first amount of fluid to allowing me to actually fill it up
Old 06-25-2018, 08:47 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by dingolfing
I could not remove my old mechatronics sleeve either, there simply is not enough room. So I just reused the old plastic sleeve but swapped the new rubber o-rings, performing the transplant operation in the cramped space between the transmission and the unibody.
I found the way, you put jack stand on rear of tranny and remove rear tranny mount
Old 06-25-2018, 02:23 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 530d
Engine: M57

Page 6 of the instructions indicates that you don't change gears until the transmission is fully filled by letting the engine run, transmission in park, fill plug removed and filling until it runs out the hole.

By then it will be mostly full but not at temperature.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:27 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by ripley
Page 6 of the instructions indicates that you don't change gears until the transmission is fully filled by letting the engine run, transmission in park, fill plug removed and filling until it runs out the hole.

By then it will be mostly full but not at temperature.
OK thanks
Old 06-25-2018, 08:01 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

These transmissions must have the correct fluid level
Just near enough is not good enough sadly

Jack your car up making sure you have enough room to get under your car and can pump fluid into your transmission filler hole

Getting your car level is important so even put a spirit level under your transmission will help make sure of this.

Before removing the filler bolt start your engine as this will get the fluid pumping through the transmission
If you don't have the car running the fluid will settle in the filter body and run out the filler hole when you open it.

Once the car is running you need to fill the transmission up with fluid till it starts coming out the filler hole

You then need a temperature gauge to check the transmission temperature
I forget the temperature but I think it's about 40c

The first time I did mine used my wife's meat temperature gauge she uses for checking her chicken is cooked correctly
Of course I cleaned it before putting it back but never told her hahahaha

Once the transmission is up to temperature you once again fill the transmission with fluid till it again runs out the filler hole

Then get in your car and run your car through the gears to ensure fluid is everywhere and no air locks anywhere

While the engine is still running
Check your level again
Replace the filler plug and then you can turn your car off

I hope this helps
Old 06-25-2018, 08:06 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by E60Japanese
These transmissions must have the correct fluid level
Just near enough is not good enough sadly

Jack your car up making sure you have enough room to get under your car and can pump fluid into your transmission filler hole

Getting your car level is important so even put a spirit level under your transmission will help make sure of this.

Before removing the filler bolt start your engine as this will get the fluid pumping through the transmission
If you don't have the car running the fluid will settle in the filter body and run out the filler hole when you open it.

Once the car is running you need to fill the transmission up with fluid till it starts coming out the filler hole

You then need a temperature gauge to check the transmission temperature
I forget the temperature but I think it's about 40c

The first time I did mine used my wife's meat temperature gauge she uses for checking her chicken is cooked correctly
Of course I cleaned it before putting it back but never told her hahahaha

Once the transmission is up to temperature you once again fill the transmission with fluid till it again runs out the filler hole

Then get in your car and run your car through the gears to ensure fluid is everywhere and no air locks anywhere

While the engine is still running
Check your level again
Replace the filler plug and then you can turn your car off

I hope this helps
Thanks, I'll try that when I get back from vacation on Thursday
Old 06-28-2018, 08:01 PM
New Members

OK the problem is when I start the car the tranny or tcm isn't working to suck up the initial fluid that I put in roughly 3 to 4 quarts but by my measurements 7 quarts came out during the job. What could be causing the tranny to not pick up and circulate initial fluid installed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 550I transmission fault after upgrades