E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 530xiT No crank no start after locksmith

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 05:13 AM
New Members

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
My Ride: 530iT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: L33

Lovely update.

Got the starter in the mail. Took much longer than expected to get the starter out of the wagon, including a trip to OReilley's because no 11mm wrench.

I received a Jeep Liberty starter. Tad bit too big for the wagon.

Joy.

Last edited by FuzzyWuzzy; 10-06-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:47 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i

I was working on a buddy's new to him Camry and when he went to start it, nothing would happen. He had been driving it around for a month with no starting issues. Turns out I was trying to start it with a spare key, not the "main" key.
It may be a longshot, but try to start it with the spare or valet key?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:25 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by maine545i
I was working on a buddy's new to him Camry and when he went to start it, nothing would happen. He had been driving it around for a month with no starting issues. Turns out I was trying to start it with a spare key, not the "main" key.
It may be a longshot, but try to start it with the spare or valet key?
With me only having the one key, but CAS showing fine, I'll hold off on a spare until next week as I still need to register the wagon.

Bright side is that I finally converted the auto tailgate to manual. Much quicker and nicer. Going to be a pain snaking the lines out later today/this weekend.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:42 PM
New Members

Update.

Finally got the new starter. Put it in. IT WORKS!

Now I just have the 4x4 issue, a rough idle, AND a transmission fault. So. Sweet. I've read that when it's driven after a day or two, it should all sort itself out.

Even better though is that there's a green plug from the wiring harness junction box under the intake manifold that I have zero clue as to where it's supposed to plug in to. It's not long and I've felt around and there's nothing for it to plug in to, that I could find.

In the meantime of me trying to figure out what the hell the connector is for, I tried my damndest to yank the hydraulic pump out, but can't find what it's even secured by or where. Feels like in the middle/behind it.

Update to the update.

Crankshaft sensor is what it turned out to be. Spent too many minutes/hours trying to plug it in without taking things back off. Didn't work. Spent 30 minutes undoing everything just to plug it back in. The idle smoothes out now but if I press the accelerator, the idle begins to drop, like it's wanting to stall.

I'll hook up the laptop later today, wipe the faults, and drive for a bit to see what's going on. I'm just glad the damn thing is working again.

Last edited by FuzzyWuzzy; 10-08-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:04 AM
New Members

Man am I starting to miss the more 'basic' cars lol...

Wagon for the most part is now fine. 4x4 issue is gone. Idles great.

Now it's just hard starting (more than a couple of seconds to turn over) and the damned transmission fault. I can wipe the transmission fault and it drives great the rest of the time the car is running. The moment I shut it off and turn it back on, the fault re-appears.

At THIS point, I'm assuming I bumped the crankshaft sensor or something. If I replace that, it should fix that issue, but I'm unsure still about the hard starting.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:29 AM
New Members

Finale update to this issue...

Got off work early to get the car registered (nope, closed) and on my way home after I already ordered a new crankshaft sensor, I figured why not and just double-check that it was fully plugged in.

It wasn't.

Started up immediately and no transmission fault errors.

Also figured out how to remove that damn hydraulic pump from the trunk and my tailgate is now fully manual.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:47 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: kindle fire

Hi. Your dealers I think just want you to pay more money for their services, you know marketing and so on. I got into your situation, once I lost the keys and the dealers also said that you cannot reprogram another key and all this nonsense. In fact, you can. I was advised to contact a locksmith, they solve such problems without any problems. They reprogrammed for me the key that I bought on Amazon and everything works fine. Honestly, I'm surprised that I still have nothing broken, in general, locksmiths are the best solution. And their services are much cheaper. Try https://www.ezlocksmiths.com/.

Last edited by EdwardClark; 01-17-2021 at 03:37 PM.