E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

'06 530i purchase question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats
Model Year: '07-530i

Hi Every body,
Been looking for a White/Beige 530i for quite some time and finally found one but the car is lacking few options.. I need your help in deciding what to do here.

Good Things:

CPO until Oct '11
Navigation
Adaptive Headlights
Key less entry
Premium Package
Comfort Seating package
Electronic Rear Shades
Electronic trunk closure
Blue Tooth
Sirius Radio
Car is ready for CD player in the Glove box .

Missing:

Sports Package ... Wife's car so no big deal
Comfort access package.... She really doesn't care not to mention not many people like this.
Cold Weather package..... Kentucky only has cold for 2-3 months and again she's not bothered
Logic-7 ( she would love to have this )

My question is:

Does sports package really makes the car drive better ? Would it be possible to upgrade the sound system and what do i need and how much does it cost ? What about the IPOD is it standard/option and can it be hooked up ?

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

iPod is not a standard option you either need the ipod kit which is expensive or an AUX port in your car. If you have the AUX port you can plug in the ipod through the AUX port and listen to music. The ipod kit shows you the songs/playlists on the iDrive screen but not worth it for the price I think.

As for sport package no idea.... I don't have the sport package but I do like the shadowline trim on the sport package E60s and I believe sport package E60s are lowered vs a E60 with no sport package. Does it drive better? Many members will hopefully be able to chime in but BMW is the ultimate driving machine even a non sport package BMW handles fantastically .

As far as L7 goes I don't know about that either...I however do advise you standard audio speakers on the E60s are TERRIBLE! A toyota camry sounds much better then our garbage speakers.

530i is a very good choice and the I6 engines are very reliable plus you have peace of mind with CPO. Good luck and hope to see you in our family .
Old 10-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

that pretty much sounds like my car exactly, except mine is 07 and CPO lasts a bit longer. i think your biggest beef with that would be the warranty--maybe see how much an additional warranty would be if they offer it. these cars are just too electronic to not be covered in some way.

L7 vs HiFi is really not as significant a difference as you may think. it is different but in my experience the biggest difference to note is with the L7 you can listen to HD Audio which does sound quite fantastic. but if you don't do a lot of radio listening, it's not going to be a huge deal if you just have the ipod hooked up to the AUX the whole time. are you sure you don't have an AUX hookup behind the front console? it is right in between the rear AC vents.

sport's package is one of those questions that when you ask it will generally end up as an argument on your thread no matter what. the truth is that bmw's non-sport suspension is very good; while the sport suspension can handle most likely better in some extreme driving/speed situations, it is unlikely your wife is going to attempt to take 90 degree corners at 50mph+ to test the stock suspension's limits. so, i think you'll be fine without the sport's package. i do not have it and an added benefit of not having it is that you do not have to deal with run-flat tires, which are notorious for going bad on bmw's.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

My personal opinion would be that sports package should not make or break the deal especailly if your wife doesn't care. The sports package has slightly stiffer and slightly lower suspension and different wheels. You only really get the big differences when you move to the mtech package with the body kit etc. If it really came down to it and you really wanted the sports suspension there are many members on this forum who have swapped out there suspension and would have some kicking around to sell. The sport seats are nice but you have comfort seat package. Runflat tires suck, however I do like my active steering.

As for logic 7 I have it and its nothing to brag about. If I had bought the car new I certaining would not have paid the extra money for this feature.

Cold weather package, I'm not sure how cold is cold in Kentucky but up here in Canada its nice to have this, the heated steering wheel is amazing. I didn't want the headlight washers because half the time when they come on I don't want them to and then it makes a mess of my clean car.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me as much as the handling, the sport package to me just looks that much better with shadowline trim, lowered and better wheels. Especially on the 530 the stock wheels are hideous. The 530 sport wheels are some of my favs. But if that is not an issue for you by no means should sport package be a deal breaker. Especially since you have independantly the comfort seats-which in 07 were part of the sport package so that was why it was a must for me.

Its a great car, sweet engine and great color combo-sounds like a keeper
Old 10-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Members

[quote name='aretardedorange' timestamp='1287688590' post='1258239']
"As far as L7 goes I don't know about that either...I however do advise you standard audio speakers on the E60s are TERRIBLE! A toyota camry sounds much better then our garbage speakers. "

I recently came from an E39 to the E60. The difference in sound quality is night and day and I don't have the logic 7. Drive an E39 and then you'll know terrible sound quality!! :thumbsdown: Great car though otherwise.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

I can shed some light on Logic 7 - If you are a music lover and not one those people who plays for the street, Its a must option. I waited for quite some time till I got the car I wanted with the options and color I liked. Again audio is very subjective, you will hear different opinions from most the users in this forum. You should try the same CD in the both the systems (L7 and nonL7) and decide for yourself.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Members

If you don't have the Logic 7 and realize how terrible the sound is, I can advocate for the BSW Stage I upgrade. It's a little pricey ($530) for a simple speaker swap out, but it's plug and play and it really made a difference. Now I am just waiting for BSW to come out with their E60 subwoofer upgrade...
Old 10-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Members

My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats
Model Year: '07-530i

Is IPOD port an option as i haven't seen many cars with it and putting one in could cost atleast $700-$800 at the dealer.
Any experience with Dension unit ?
Thanks to all for your help.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:31 PM
New Members

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a 06 530I and I noticed that the headlight eyebrows are not working. Is there a fuse I could replace or is there a special way to turn them on?

Quick Reply: '06 530i purchase question...