E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 330i and 06 530i driven back to back

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just got back from driving the 06 330i 6 speed and 06 530i Auto back to back. When I first saw the Titanium silver sport package 06 330i on the lot during the sunny afternoon, the shape of the 330i cut a very sporty and aggressive profile, that was very eye catching. The 18" sport package wheels definetly make this car. My wife and I then stepped inside the 330i and immediately felt that the car felt very tight in terms of width. The rear seat room behind the driver's seat was adequate even with the drivers seat set comfortably for my 5'10" frame. Interior plastics where quite high quality though without the i-drive, the dash did look sort of bare. The classic orange\red BMW back lighting did look a bit dated though. I should clarify the rear seat room was merely adequate, you probably don't want to sit in the back of the car for a multi-hour road trip. Now for the fun part. This car definetly feels very sporty, with the engine sound being quite intrusive while driving. The sound of the engine is actually quite welcome, as it sounds deep and refined. I red lined the car in first and second gear, and was happy with its acceleration though not overly impressed with it's power. We are not talking scary fast like an 05 Sti or an 05 Audi S4 I drove recently. Handling was very good, and very sports car like. The car handled bumps with a solid thud, and made the car feel very solid. Overall, the 330i felt very satisfying, relatively quick, excellent sports car like handling, but bit tight in terms of interior room, especially in terms of elbow room.

How does the 330i compare to the 530i?

Once we sat in the the 530i, it instantly felt that we had infinitely more elbow room. Rear leg room was an order of magnitude greater than the 330i. Being an auto, it definetly did not feel as peppy as the 330i 6sp manual we just drove, even though 530i is only supposed to be 55lbs heavier than the 06 330i. Our decision? I think we are going to spring for the 530i as we have a 10 month old son, and want more space.

However, the 330i will not dissappoint if space is not a huge concern for you.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by KickinA' date='May 2 2005, 12:36 PM
So I just got back from driving the 06 330i 6 speed and 06 530i Auto back to back. When I first saw the Titanium silver sport package 06 330i on the lot during the sunny afternoon, the shape of the 330i cut a very sporty and aggressive profile, that was very eye catching. The 18" sport package wheels definetly make this car. My wife and I then stepped inside the 330i and immediately felt that the car felt very tight in terms of width. The rear seat room behind the driver's seat was adequate even with the drivers seat set comfortably for my 5'10" frame. Interior plastics where quite high quality though without the i-drive, the dash did look sort of bare. The classic orange\red BMW back lighting did look a bit dated though. I should clarify the rear seat room was merely adequate, you probably don't want to sit in the back of the car for a multi-hour road trip. Now for the fun part. This car definetly feels very sporty, with the engine sound being quite intrusive while driving. The sound of the engine is actually quite welcome, as it sounds deep and refined. I red lined the car in first and second gear, and was happy with its acceleration though not overly impressed with it's power. We are not talking scary fast like an 05 Sti or an 05 Audi S4 I drove recently. Handling was very good, and very sports car like. The car handled bumps with a solid thud, and made the car feel very solid. Overall, the 330i felt very satisfying, relatively quick, excellent sports car like handling,? but bit tight in terms of interior room, especially in terms of elbow room.

Once we sat in the the 530i, it instantly felt that we had infinitely more elbow room. Rear leg room was an order of magnitude greater than the 330i. Being an auto, it definetly did not feel as peppy as the 330i 6sp manual we just drove, even though 530i is only supposed to be 55lbs heavier than the 06 330i. Our decision? I think we are going to spring for the 530i as we have a 10 month old son, and want more space.

[snapback]122951[/snapback]

I have the 2006 530i Sport with a manual. Having only about 300 miles on it, I'm not about to dog it yet, but I'd imagine that it will hold up against the 330i manual. The torque and power seem to build effortlessly, as does the accumulation of speed with this engine.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='May 2 2005, 09:56 AM
[quote name='KickinA' date='May 2 2005, 12:36 PM']So I just got back from driving the 06 330i 6 speed and 06 530i Auto back to back. When I first saw the Titanium silver sport package 06 330i on the lot during the sunny afternoon, the shape of the 330i cut a very sporty and aggressive profile, that was very eye catching. The 18" sport package wheels definetly make this car. My wife and I then stepped inside the 330i and immediately felt that the car felt very tight in terms of width. The rear seat room behind the driver's seat was adequate even with the drivers seat set comfortably for my 5'10" frame. Interior plastics where quite high quality though without the i-drive, the dash did look sort of bare. The classic orange\red BMW back lighting did look a bit dated though. I should clarify the rear seat room was merely adequate, you probably don't want to sit in the back of the car for a multi-hour road trip. Now for the fun part. This car definetly feels very sporty, with the engine sound being quite intrusive while driving. The sound of the engine is actually quite welcome, as it sounds deep and refined. I red lined the car in first and second gear, and was happy with its acceleration though not overly impressed with it's power. We are not talking scary fast like an 05 Sti or an 05 Audi S4 I drove recently. Handling was very good, and very sports car like. The car handled bumps with a solid thud, and made the car feel very solid. Overall, the 330i felt very satisfying, relatively quick, excellent sports car like handling,? but bit tight in terms of interior room, especially in terms of elbow room.

[snapback]122951[/snapback]

I have the 2006 530i Sport with a manual. Having only about 300 miles on it, I'm not about to dog it yet, but I'd imagine that it will hold up against the 330i manual. The torque and power seem to build effortlessly, as does the accumulation of speed with this engine.
[snapback]122955[/snapback]
[/quote]

How do you like your 530i sport 6sp manual so far? I', trying to decide if I want to pay for the sport package on the 06 530i. Have you driven an 06 530i non sport?

thanks
Old 05-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I test drove a 2005 that was non-sport but to be honest I didn't get much time behind the wheel. To me, I like a flat-cornering car and the Dynamic Drive (you can't get on 3 series) provides that in addition to other improvements. Car and Driver recently tested a non-sport 2005 530i which if memory serves was able to get .82g on the skidpad according to the test. Their 2004 530i Sport did .90g and they called it the flattest cornering car they had ever driven.

You turn into a curve, even a slight one, and the car just squats and feels like it's being pressed onto the road. Very flat and dialed in.

I love it.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

This seems to be something like a "sibling rivalry" pissing match, some E46 330i owners used to size up my E60 530i all the time but it's a different scenario now.

If i needed more space i would definitely get the 530i now especially with the new 6 cyl and see if you can swing the 6spd manual.

The E90 330i may be a little quicker but not by much.

I think body type matters too. If you're a six footer and medium build and have children the E60 would be a better choice.

One can get the E90 or E90 coupe and put the driver's seat ALL the way back so one's mother in law can sit back there or in the trunk (preferably)!