E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

'04 545i - Software issues/quesitons?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Okay so I've had the car for a week and love it!

I'm getting a strange intermittent bug with the radio cutting off sometimes. It's only for about 2 seconds and is followed by a very high pitched beep (my wife can't even hear the beep). During the episode the idrive software isn't responsive. There are no visual glitches at all, but changing a radio station or doing anything just lags until the cut out episode is over and then follows the command. I've done some searches for similar problems but haven't found anything relevant.

Next big problem is no Ipod adapter - so I went to the dealership to pick one up. $500 for the unit, $1,150 to install it.......... Right, no thanks.. I'll do it myself. I understand that you have to have a certain version of the software for it to work right. I'm wondering if the radio thing my be a software issue? I'm considering installing the ipod adapter tomorrow and seeing if it works. But I don't want these guys to try and stick me with the blame if I take the car in and complain about the radio, but I could get a free software upgrade out of it? I'm so confused.

Any advice? How do I tell what version of the software I have?

Oh and last question, I have the "Business Navigation" system, which is absolutely useless in a country where there are no addresses. Is there any way to upgrade this to pro? I mean.. I have the GPS hardware, isn't it just a software issue? The people at the only local BMW dealership are as knowledgeable as a tree stump. When I told them I would install the ipod thing myself, they said it was impossible that I needed a special BMW tool....

Guess they never heard of a torx...

Oh just for fun, some other fun prices from them - $250 for an idrive knob, 3k for m166 wheels. Oh and since I just bought the car, I asked them to do a full service and thorough check of the car (happily paying for it), and they said unless idrive called for a service, or I had a specific problem with the car, they couldn't give me a service appointment. I miss the US

Thanks in advance for any advice

-Dirk
Old 08-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

You should really add complete details about your car - perhaps in your signature or by edting our post - in order for anyone to be able to help you here.

EDIT: Just noticed you have this in the subject.

Regarding an upgrade of the satnav, it would probably be a minimum of $2,500 (or based on the prices you quote, $8000 )
Old 08-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='642759' date='Aug 9 2008, 02:08 AM
You should really add complete details about your car - perhaps in your signature or by edting our post - in order for anyone to be able to help you here.

EDIT: Just noticed you have this in the subject.

Regarding an upgrade of the satnav, it would probably be a minimum of $2,500 (or based on the prices you quote, $8000 )
I'll have to contact a US dealer I guess to get the details. The Dubai BMW dealer said it's not possible, but given their uselessness, the guy just probably doesn't want to even look. Is it a hardware + software upgrade or only software?

And I'm going on a photo shoot with the car soon, so I'll have it in the sig .

-Dirk
Old 08-09-2008, 04:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you noticed this problem under heavy load on the cars electrical system? In other words under hard accelration. I remeber when I was doing some research on the BMW forums when I bought mine I saw few threads that had similar issues to yours. I forgot what the solution was to it. If you search for on here you should find it.

You could always have the dealership upgrade the software (usually takes all day or an overnight job).
Old 08-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='643022' date='Aug 9 2008, 04:52 PM
Have you noticed this problem under heavy load on the cars electrical system? In other words under hard accelration. I remeber when I was doing some research on the BMW forums when I bought mine I saw few threads that had similar issues to yours. I forgot what the solution was to it. If you search for on here you should find it.

You could always have the dealership upgrade the software (usually takes all day or an overnight job).
Yeah, I read about popping and other stuff under heavy accel, but nothing intermittent like this. It's usually after I've been driving awhile. Thinking it may be a grounding issue. Going to take it in tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully they'll do the software update as an attempt to fix so I don't have to pay for the update to install my ipod adapter .

I can't say enough how impressed I am by how the car drives. The 545 is truly a great car!

-Dirk
Old 08-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Members

Hi Dirk,

I have exactly the same issue with the radio and controls and it seems to be affected by the heat or something else after driving for an hour or so. I have to live with it until the dealer can book an appointment for me at the end of the month. Please post the answer if yours is fixed in Dubai.

Thanks

PeterG
Old 08-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PeterG' post='643913' date='Aug 11 2008, 12:36 PM
Hi Dirk,

I have exactly the same issue with the radio and controls and it seems to be affected by the heat or something else after driving for an hour or so. I have to live with it until the dealer can book an appointment for me at the end of the month. Please post the answer if yours is fixed in Dubai.

Thanks

PeterG
It's exactly as you said, it's after driving it for an hour or so. Yesterday I took a trip to Sharjah and back and by the time I got back, it was doing the same damn thing again. This is, of course, after BMW claimed the software update fixed it. They did only update it to a march of '06 version, but at this point I don't think it's a software issue.

I called my mechanic/electrical guy in Vegas who's worked for BMW for eons and he said it was likely a ground fault somewhere. Not sure, though. Going to take the car back Monday and bitch at them for not updating to the latest software and also nudge them to start looking for the actual problem.

Let me know if you have any luck on your end. Sorry you're having a problem but glad I'm not alone .

-Dirk
Old 08-23-2008, 12:07 AM
Members

Dirk,

a loose ground wire could possibly be the issue and would make sense to check before anything else. I have heard of loose ground wires causing lots of electrical problems. Does anyone know or have a schematic of where to locate these ground wires in the e60?

Cheers
Old 08-24-2008, 01:03 AM
Contributors

Well, I just heard back from the dealer, they want to replace the computer - what I'm curious about, if I'm going to spend 3 grand to do this, can I upgrade to navigation professional while I'm at it?

Or is that a separate system?

I'm not convinced this is the solution to the problem but if I get proper navigation out of it, I may try it. How much should this cost?

-Dirk