E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

04 545i Dynamic Drive Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Black Graphite Metallic|Black Options:Sport Package|Premium|Cold Weather|6speed |Logic 7|Active Steering

Originally Posted by Susp3nc3' post='1070553' date='Dec 8 2009, 09:04 PM
Every day when i start driving a little bit I get a dynamic drive malfunction. Right before it malfunctions the radio cuts out a lot and the dash and lights on the window switches cut out and go back on.

After the malfunction the radio still cuts out and the dash lights etc cut out too once in a while.

This problem seems to have started right after i got the electronic box replaced in the trunk (forgot what its called).

Other than the malfunction, there are no problems with the performance of the car.

I tried to find others with the exact problem but most people stated they got a dynamic drive malfunction and the car wouldn't shift out of second gear etc...

The issue has been popping up more and more. Started off with just the radio annoyingly cutting out once every minute or so.
I had been having this same problem exactly. Radio would cut out momentarily and then i would get the Dynamic Drive Malfunction warning. Took it to the dealer and the found Fault 5D61 - Overvoltage for Dynamic Drive Control Unit. The fix was to replace the Dynamic Drive Control unit and ARS control unit. Problem solved.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by flint' post='1080467' date='Dec 27 2009, 10:23 PM
I had been having this same problem exactly. Radio would cut out momentarily and then i would get the Dynamic Drive Malfunction warning. Took it to the dealer and the found Fault 5D61 - Overvoltage for Dynamic Drive Control Unit. The fix was to replace the Dynamic Drive Control unit and ARS control unit. Problem solved.
It sounds like I'm having the same problem on my 2004 545i. For the past month, I've started to see the dynamic drive malfunction warning pop up. It's happened 5-6 times in the last 3-4 weeks. It seems to happen when I'm accelerating from a stop. As others have stated, I've noticed a brief cut in the audio (I typically listen to a CD) and then the warning for dynamic drive appears immediately (timed with the brief drop in audio).

Does anyone find it strange that the audio cuts out when this problem occurs? I could understand if the root cause is an alternator and you'd expect multiple electrical glitches to occurr, but in the case noted above (where the dynamic drive control unit was replaced), how is that in any way related to the audio? My car has another strange problem with the Satellite radio (which cuts out frequently and switches me back to the FM radio), but I'll save that problem for a separate post.

I'm under the BMW CPO warranty and hoping the error codes for the dynamic drive malfunction are being stored by the car's computer so they can actually replace something and fix the problem. I called my service advisor and he told me to check the power steering fluid level. I looked this morning and can't find the power steering reservior, but I'll do some more looking around and searcing on the web to find the location before bringing it into the dealer. I don't really trust the service advisor's opinion, but I'll check the power steering level nonetheless.

If others have resolved this problem since posting, I'd be curious to hear the results and findings.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Members

Had exact same problems, especially when cold. When shifting from 1st to 2nd, radio would cut out, a/c blower would pulse, interior lights would flicker, instrument cluster lighting would go out, and dynamic drive would come up. Occasionally, active steering would come up. Replaced the alternator and so far so good. Spoke to an alternator rebuilder and he said that the alternator manufacturer, Valeo, has a problem with their alternators, particulary the voltage regulators in them. He mentioned that 9 times out of 10, they just replace the regulator on the cores that come back and they test fine afterwards. Their website is alternatorpros.com a new one is $429 with a $30 return core credit. Rebuilt is $329-I think.