E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

04 545i Dynamic Drive Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every day when i start driving a little bit I get a dynamic drive malfunction. Right before it malfunctions the radio cuts out a lot and the dash and lights on the window switches cut out and go back on.

After the malfunction the radio still cuts out and the dash lights etc cut out too once in a while.

This problem seems to have started right after i got the electronic box replaced in the trunk (forgot what its called).

Other than the malfunction, there are no problems with the performance of the car.

I tried to find others with the exact problem but most people stated they got a dynamic drive malfunction and the car wouldn't shift out of second gear etc...

The issue has been popping up more and more. Started off with just the radio annoyingly cutting out once every minute or so.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i 6mt, Titanium Silver, Sport Package, Winter Package

from what i have read on the forum, I recommend having the alternator and battery checked first since you have having all of those issues at the same time.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Contributors

Had that same problem. The speedometer, RPM drops. Screen goes black, radio and AC cut out. Bunch of error messages popped up and eventually the car sputters and dies. Wait about 15 minutes or so, the car is back to normal. Drive for a bit and the same happens again. Brung it to the dealership and they found out it was the alternator. Replaced it and it never happened again.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DKNewYork' post='1071028' date='Dec 9 2009, 02:36 PM
Had that same problem. The speedometer, RPM drops. Screen goes black, radio and AC cut out. Bunch of error messages popped up and eventually the car sputters and dies. Wait about 15 minutes or so, the car is back to normal. Drive for a bit and the same happens again. Brung it to the dealership and they found out it was the alternator. Replaced it and it never happened again.

The battery is new... so its probably the alternator...

I haven't had any issues with the rpms or anything engine related. The radio doesn't cut out completely just cuts out for a second and keeps going. screen doesn't go black or flicker at all. I am guessing it is just at the beginning of the issue and it will gradually get worse...
Old 12-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Members

I am having the same exact problems as you are having. Radio cuts out, climate control blower surges, etc. I was wondering if you have resolved these problems on yours and was it the alternator? thanks
Old 12-21-2009, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pauliehcfr' post='1076907' date='Dec 19 2009, 10:21 PM
I am having the same exact problems as you are having. Radio cuts out, climate control blower surges, etc. I was wondering if you have resolved these problems on yours and was it the alternator? thanks
Chances are its the battery or alt. and maybe both.

OP if your handy with tools I'd swap the alt. out our have an indy shop do it for you if your not under warranty. Most places can test to see if its your alt. or battery but you won't be the first person that they say it passes the test but once swapped out everything works fine again. Doesn't cost much and since alternators seem to fail earlier in these cars it won't hurt swapping it out even if doesn't end up solving the issue. Also you said you got a new battery. Have you run your car much since you put it in?? Might want to charge your battery overnite to make sure you get a good full charge in it.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Members

I had the same errors on the idrive: dynamic drive malfunction, radio and ac cutting off, power stearing,etc. my mechanic said that all the errors are caused by low voltage. i replaced the alternator never had the problem again.

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='1077604' date='Dec 21 2009, 11:41 AM
Chances are its the battery or alt. and maybe both.

OP if your handy with tools I'd swap the alt. out our have an indy shop do it for you if your not under warranty. Most places can test to see if its your alt. or battery but you won't be the first person that they say it passes the test but once swapped out everything works fine again. Doesn't cost much and since alternators seem to fail earlier in these cars it won't hurt swapping it out even if doesn't end up solving the issue. Also you said you got a new battery. Have you run your car much since you put it in?? Might want to charge your battery overnite to make sure you get a good full charge in it.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: It's an E60 545I 6 speed.

I had the warning come on tonight...Where should I get an alternator?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Aviator' post='1080158' date='Dec 27 2009, 12:37 AM
I had the warning come on tonight...Where should I get an alternator?

I found a place in Arizona called alternator pros. Website alternatorpros.com They sell new and rebuilt units and offer free overnight shipping. new for 2004 545 is about $419 and they'll give you $30 back if you return the core. Rebuilt is $329 i think. The guy said 9 times out of 10, the voltage regulator goes bad. I am going to replace the voltage regulator first though.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: It's an E60 545I 6 speed.

Ok, thanks. I had the warning come on shortly after I damn near killed myself on some ice. This car saved my life. It corrected itself somehow. Then shortly after that the Dynamic Stability Malfunction warning came on. Kinda freaked me out, big red car with a big !. I haven't had any problems with my stereo, or screen, or anything elec as far as I know. I shut the car off once home, and started it back up again and checked for error messeges. It said "Check OK". I wonder if that crazy episode on the icy road set it off? I have an extended (Non BMW) warranty that is supposed to cover everything on the car except for brake pads, tires, wipers, and belts. I hope it was just a one time thing, but it sounds like this is a common problem in the 04 545.

Quick Reply: 04 545i Dynamic Drive Malfunction