E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 545 - Lights won't turn off - Help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 2004 545 tail lights/angel eyes won't turn off.

Passenger (side) tail lights and angel eyes won't turn off. The weird part is that it only affects the passenger side. After starting up the car, the tail lights and angel eyes turn off, but after 5 minutes or so, it'll light up again. The cars been doing this for 3 straight days.

Could it possibly be a weak battery? Any advice would certainly help.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by bimmerfamily2010
Our 2004 545 tail lights/angel eyes won't turn off.

Passenger (side) tail lights and angel eyes won't turn off. The weird part is that it only affects the passenger side. After starting up the car, the tail lights and angel eyes turn off, but after 5 minutes or so, it'll light up again. The cars been doing this for 3 straight days.

Could it possibly be a weak battery? Any advice would certainly help.

Thanks

That is wierd!! Are you getting any iDrive errors???

Hey at the end of the day, its either a computer clitch or a short somewhere. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to fix the glitch! Maybe try unplugging the battery overnight and let the system start up fresh 1st thing in the morning? Nothing like a good hard re-boot to get you back on track!
Old 05-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Do you activate your right blinker turn signal when you turn off your car? Next time you turn off your car just try and signal left and right a few times see if it does anything.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Passenger (side) tail lights and angel eyes won't turn off.
Quit moving the turn signal stock after you've turned the engine off.

Those are the "parking" lights. You can change with side the "parking" lights are on by moving the turn signal stock after the car has been turned off and the key removed from the ignition.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by IceyTys
That is wierd!! Are you getting any iDrive errors???

Hey at the end of the day, its either a computer clitch or a short somewhere. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to fix the glitch! Maybe try unplugging the battery overnight and let the system start up fresh 1st thing in the morning? Nothing like a good hard re-boot to get you back on track!

No iDrive errors at the moment. I'm soooo tempted to unplug the battery, but I read so many horror stories about unplugging the battery. Have you unplugged the battery from your e60 before?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Do you activate your right blinker turn signal when you turn off your car? Next time you turn off your car just try and signal left and right a few times see if it does anything.

It's a funny thing, I was driving down the freeway and activated the right turn signal (to of course) switch to the right lane. Long story short, the right signal wouldn't deactivate. I tried cancelling by slightly tapping the signal down but that didn't do anything either. I literally held down the left signal stalk, but after I released the stalk, the right blinker would re-engage. The turn signal finally cancelled after I made a complete right turn.

Two main issues, funky turn signals, and angel lights/tail lamps that won't shut-off.

Any more suggestions? Any clues.

Again, I appreciate your time.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

It's a funny thing, I was driving down the freeway and activated the right turn signal (to of course) switch to the right lane. Long story short, the right signal wouldn't deactivate. I tried cancelling by slightly tapping the signal down but that didn't do anything either. I literally held down the left signal stalk, but after I released the stalk, the right blinker would re-engage. The turn signal finally cancelled after I made a complete right turn.

Two main issues, funky turn signals, and angel lights/tail lamps that won't shut-off.

Any more suggestions? Any clues.

Again, I appreciate your time.
bmws have a park light feature. its mainly used overseas. basically you activate the turn signal when the ignition is off, and it leaves the corner lights on when the car is parked....it makes the car more visible when parked in situations where you want your car to be noticed.

if yours doesnt turn off, it sounds like you have an issue with your turn signal stalk.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Senior Members

You have a defective/broken blinker stalk. Dealer should be able to fix (probably replace) this for you.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by turboawd
bmws have a park light feature. its mainly used overseas. basically you activate the turn signal when the ignition is off, and it leaves the corner lights on when the car is parked....it makes the car more visible when parked in situations where you want your car to be noticed.

if yours doesnt turn off, it sounds like you have an issue with your turn signal stalk.
Thats what I was trying to get at... maybe the parking light feature is a little flaky...
Old 05-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 Honda Civic EX

Originally Posted by TexaZ3
You have a defective/broken blinker stalk.
Bingo! +1

Quick Reply: '04 545 - Lights won't turn off - Help.