E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

04 545 IDrive fail...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Background:
- Car purchase with 58k on the clock from a non BMW dealer last December
- Since I've purchased it, every once and a while, the radio / CD player will stay on mute on startup and will not turn on again unless the car is off for 15-20 min.
- I knew that it needed a trip to the dealer for re-programming and a general check up, so I figured that I would take advantage of the re program and add the aux input.
- I purchased the aux input kit and installed it per the instructions.

Problem:
- Car goes into the dealership yesterday at 7 am for an oil change and re-program, dealer calls and states that there are 23 hours left on the reprogram... strange.
- Go to pick up the car today and not only did the programming crash 4 times since the start, now the MMI is blank, there is no radio, no response to any controls, the auto up windows, adaptive headlights, stability / traction control, clock are not working.
- The dealer needs another 2 hours ($230) to diagnose the problem and suggested that an incorrect aux input installation might be the cause (even though I it was installed - minus the programming, and the system was working BEFORE it went in). So I went ahead and disconnected the aux input from the radio and will drop the car off tomorrow morning.

Questions:
1. Anyone else have a similar problem?
2. I'm concerned that this is beyond software and there is a hardware (CCC) failure? thoughts, opinions?

I searched around, no luck with finding an similar issues. Bottom line is that my car was working at about 90% before going in and now it is worse, I feel like the dealer broke my car.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

Sounds like you need a new battery...
Old 10-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Members

Problem solved

After 8 days at the dealer and numerous attempts to reprogram the system, the dealer finally scheduled an online session with the engineers in Germany. Apparently, he was able to watch the programming step by step and adjust as needed (per the dealer service manager).

So, radio works, aux input works, etc.

Unfortunately, total labor was just over 10 hours, but they did cover some of it, total bill, just shy of $700... ouch.

If anyone has a similar issue and the dealer is struggling, tell them to get an online session with engineering tech. support.