E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

&%^#@! Cupholders

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

Same here -- they both used to open but now they both don't.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I remember reading on this forum last year that the design was improved with a modification during 2005. Maybe you will get a better application when you get them replaced.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='222122' date='Jan 10 2006, 11:34 AM
I remember reading on this forum last year that the design was improved with a modification during 2005. Maybe you will get a better application when you get them replaced.
Exactly. I got them replaced. Now they work fine.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='222064' date='Jan 10 2006, 02:52 PM
I don't think Europeans require as much refreshment as we Americans.
Perhaps BMW needs to employ an American to design them.
In the UK we don't use or understand them, and mostly just take the p*ss out of them.

To understand this you must appreciate that most of our roads are so bad that the liquid falls out of the cup while driving, and by the time you need a drink you would be driving into the sea anyway!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='221855
I dont know why so many complain about the cupholders. Actually, all the people who have been in my car appreciate the cupholder as it is really hidden and comes out only when necessary. As for as holding the drink.....i think it does a good job with most...except for those 64 oz. On a lighter side, I will buy these kind of drinks only when BMW offers an option to have a built in bathroom

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='222049
Originally Posted by drjochen' post='221855' date='Jan 9 2006, 10:09 PM
Maybe someone who understands the cupholders can explain to me:
If I put a can or Stbx coffe in the cupholder, that plate at the botton pushes it up on one side and the can is always tilted and ready to fall over. What am I doing wrong? Is there a trick or a special way to put the can in?
I don't have a trick, but I always get a venti; fits perfectly for me. And, you mentioned a can??? A can of Starbucks???? But, anyway, nothing ever is tilted in my holder. I'll look at it today and get back to you if I see anything that might be causing your problem.

Noooo, not a can of Starbucks...although they sell espresso stuff in cans now. I am a venti guy, too.
In my caee, the spring loaded bottom pushed the can up on one side.
[/quote]
Turns out I do have a minor trick. Check above. I can can can can you too. A venti can???? You said "can" again. Are you messing with me? <_<
Old 01-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

[/quote]
Turns out I do have a minor trick. Check above. I can can can can you too. A venti can???? You said "can" again. Are you messing with me? <_<
[/quote]

...I would never do that... This time, I ment a coke car.

So today, I actually bought a venti Vanilla Latte and put it in the cupholder. Its simply crooked, tilted towards the front. It looked pretty unstable and stareted wiggling around under normal (spirited...) driving. I got so scared that I held it in my hand for the rest of my drive back to work. One of the (very) few times I used the auto mode with the SMG.

can, can, can - not car.....
Old 01-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

[/quote]

...I would never do that... This time, I ment a coke car. Oh, now I see. You meant a coke car all along not a venti coffee cup or can. I alway have trouble when I put any kind of car, even a coffee car, in my cupholder because a car is neither a can or a cup.

So today, I actually bought a venti Vanilla Latte and put it in the cupholder. Its simply crooked, tilted towards the front. It looked pretty unstable and stareted wiggling around under normal (spirited...) driving. I got so scared that I held it in my hand for the rest of my drive back to work. One of the (very) few times I used the auto mode with the SMG. Just turn the venti car around.

can, can, can - not car.....

I don't think you can can can, or can car car.
[/quote]
Old 01-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Members

I use to have an E39 and yes they were terrible also. I was unaware of an update or newer style. I have an 05 and there are 2 sizing pieces that move down when you put something in them. It seems that no matter what I put in the holder they never hold it straight up its always tilted.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Went to burger king for dinner and got the Kign size drink - 32oz I think - the plastic cup with the small bottom and the huge top - fit in perfectly and was stable - though I have to admit I did hold it a little when accelerating, but more out of paranoia
Old 01-12-2006, 04:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I have the ejector style cupholders as well - everything is always tilted. I bought an Ultimate Cupholder II (it has been discussed in numerous threads) and it works great. Sure, the BMW cupholders should work, but this is a good solution.

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/ucii.html

Quick Reply: &%^#@! Cupholders