E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

&%^#@! Cupholders

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine white 2004 545, cold weather package, premium sound, sport package.

Originally Posted by strobeguy' post='221786' date='Jan 9 2006, 07:52 PM
I recently switched back to a BMW after having a couple Porsches. Granted the porsches don't have cupholders but if BMW is going to spend the time putting them in the car shouldn't they at least work? I have taken a couple road trips in my 545I and I have to say the cup holders SUCK... I think if I rubber band a Mcdonalds cardboard cupholder to my armrest I would be better off.
My Snapple "Mango Madness" can't fit the damn thing! Oh yeah I was frustrated with it on day when it did'nt wanna open, I looked at my flathead screwdriver and called up serivice the following day .
Old 01-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

You would think that the team of engineers at BMW could design a plastic ring to hold a beverage cup... I mean, they can make a V-10 engine with 507 hp.... what could be the problem with a cupholder?

But... alas... they can't do it. I think that BMW should take the engineers who are responsible to designing the cupholder out to an E60, and strap them down to the passenger seat... then put full cups of scalding hot coffee in the cupholders, and drive them around the Nurburgring at high speed so the coffee spills in their laps and burns their nuts off.... and make them endure that pain until they can figure out how to make a cupholder so the coffee won't spill on them.

THAT might make them create something useful..... it's all about motivation.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='221855' date='Jan 9 2006, 10:09 PM
Maybe someone who understands the cupholders can explain to me:
If I put a can or Stbx coffe in the cupholder, that plate at the botton pushes it up on one side and the can is always tilted and ready to fall over. What am I doing wrong? Is there a trick or a special way to put the can in?
I don't have a trick, but I always get a venti; fits perfectly for me. And, you mentioned a can??? A can of Starbucks???? But, anyway, nothing ever is tilted in my holder. I'll look at it today and get back to you if I see anything that might be causing your problem.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Do a search.
Cupholders - the good ones and the bad ones - have been discussed quite extensively.
To save some time, if you have the "ejecter-cup" option have it replaced by the dealer.
(Some of the early cars had "cup launchers" not cup holders).
It seems that they sorted it out several months ago.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by Znod' post='222044
Maybe someone who understands the cupholders can explain to me:
If I put a can or Stbx coffe in the cupholder, that plate at the botton pushes it up on one side and the can is always tilted and ready to fall over. What am I doing wrong? Is there a trick or a special way to put the can in?
I don't have a trick, but I always get a venti; fits perfectly for me. And, you mentioned a can??? A can of Starbucks???? But, anyway, nothing ever is tilted in my holder. I'll look at it today and get back to you if I see anything that might be causing your problem.
[/quote]

Noooo, not a can of Starbucks...although they sell espresso stuff in cans now. I am a venti guy, too.
In my caee, the spring loaded bottom pushed the can up on one side.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:30 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know why so many complain about the cupholders. Actually, all the people who have been in my car appreciate the cupholder as it is really hidden and comes out only when necessary. As for as holding the drink.....i think it does a good job with most...except for those 64 oz. On a lighter side, I will buy these kind of drinks only when BMW offers an option to have a built in bathroom
Old 01-10-2006, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

listen up kids ; don't drink and drive.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by paulwbenn' post='221848' date='Jan 9 2006, 08:51 PM
If you think the e60 cupholders are bad, you should've seen the ones in the E39. They were an absolute joke!
You beat me to it. The e60 holders are much improved over the e39. I don't like the location of them in the e60, but where else would you put them. At least they work. Time will tell if they are any more durable than the e39, of which I replaced broken ones at least a half dozen times. I don't think Europeans require as much refreshment as we Americans.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='222064
If you think the e60 cupholders are bad, you should've seen the ones in the E39. They were an absolute joke!
You beat me to it. The e60 holders are much improved over the e39. I don't like the location of them in the e60, but where else would you put them. At least they work. Time will tell if they are any more durable than the e39, of which I replaced broken ones at least a half dozen times. I don't think Europeans require as much refreshment as we Americans.
[/quote]

In the UK we're too scared to drink or eat in our cars or the cops will bust us

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/774655.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_y...ire/3753401.stm
Old 01-10-2006, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Mine won't open and then, won't close. Are scheduled to be replaced next service. Just be thankful they aren't motorized.

This crap ought to be left to the Japanese. <_<
Ray Hull

Quick Reply: &%^#@! Cupholders