DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Window Trim Surround Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Hi Folks,

I have tried using the search function but can't find exactly what I am looking for.

To cut a long story short, I have recently got my car back from having some body work completed and the Shadowline Window Trims have been removed and refitted.

The problem I have is on the drivers (front right) door. The Shadowline trim that runs vertically up the edge of the door has been put on about 1/4 inch too low and so there is a gap where this meets the top trim (the one that incorportaes the weather strip and runs along the top of the door). I am easily able to remove the trim along the top of the window, and also the one running along the bottom of the window. However, I can't work out how to remove the larger trim running vertically up the side of the window (opposite side to the mirror).

All I need to do is remove this and then refit approx. 1/4 inch higher up. Is it just fastened on with clips that 'push on' or are there any screws? Someone please help!!!!!

For clarity it's item 7 shown Here that I need to remove & refit.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:16 AM
Contributors

i doubt it's fitted with screws.. have you tried pushing up on the trim?
Old 01-05-2009, 02:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='759660' date='Jan 5 2009, 11:16 AM
i doubt it's fitted with screws.. have you tried pushing up on the trim?
I was easily able to figure out how to remove the upper & lower trims / weather strips! However, the side (larger) trim seems to be mounted quite firmly and I'm not really sure which way I should be pulling / pushing. I don't want to mark / damage the trim in anyway.

What I could do with is a PDF / TIS doc on how this piece of trim is removed / refitted?
Old 01-05-2009, 02:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

I found this. I hope it helps.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=28224
Old 01-05-2009, 03:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ENstig8or' post='759667' date='Jan 5 2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks very much for this. I have in fact already seen this, but it unfortunately focuses only on the upper & lower trims which I have already removed. The 'side' trim is not removed in this thread as the OP is changing the upper & lower trims to Shadowline from chrome - the 'side trims' (on the 'B' & 'C' pillar) are already Shadowline and so aren't removed.

I'm beginning to think the door panel needs to be removed?!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='759669' date='Jan 5 2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks very much for this. I have in fact already seen this, but it unfortunately focuses only on the upper & lower trims which I have already removed. The 'side' trim is not removed in this thread as the OP is changing the upper & lower trims to Shadowline from chrome - the 'side trims' (on the 'B' & 'C' pillar) are already Shadowline and so aren't removed.

I'm beginning to think the door panel needs to be removed?!

Right..... for anyone who is interested in this or who may need to do this or something similar in the future.....

The Door Panel does indeed need to be removed first, which is a relatively straight forward job in itself. This then allows the plastic trim to be removed that feeds around the inside of the window, and then in turn the rubber window seal can be removed from the channel. This in turn reveals 3 screws with elongated holes on the 'B' Pillar Shadowline Trim. I slackened these off and was able to slide the Trim up the 1/4 inch I needed to. It all now fits perfectly.

To remove the Door Panel see Here!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Never a doubt about your capability with things like that. Great job!!