DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Valentine Install for 2008 535i

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone hard wire installed a Valentine radar detector in a 2008 535i. I tapped into the yellow/green wire leading into the sunroof switch as it seemed to have power tied to the ignition. (This also seemed to be the recommended wire based on a search of this forum as well as the method that worked with my 540.)

However, the radar detector did not power up, and I received a sunroof trap warning on the monitor display. I'd guess that there is monitoring of the current draw in the circuit and that the detector pushes it over the limit.

Did anyone else find a suitable power connection?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gchiasson' post='462452' date='Aug 25 2007, 01:42 PM
Has anyone hard wire installed a Valentine radar detector in a 2008 535i. I tapped into the yellow/green wire leading into the sunroof switch as it seemed to have power tied to the ignition. (This also seemed to be the recommended wire based on a search of this forum as well as the method that worked with my 540.)

However, the radar detector did not power up, and I received a sunroof trap warning on the monitor display. I'd guess that there is monitoring of the current draw in the circuit and that the detector pushes it over the limit.

Thanks

Are you absolutely sure that you have a good connection? If you are using that blue connector that came with the V1 it sometimes does not make good contact with the bare wire. Try removing the blue connector if thats what you used and strip a bit of insulation from the wire and reattch the blue connector. I cannot believe that BMW would have changed the properties of that wire in the MY 08 model year.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gchiasson' post='462452' date='Aug 25 2007, 02:42 PM

Thanks
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost....mp;postcount=18
Old 08-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

It took me about 4 times to get the blue connector to make a solid connection with that wire. It's a bit of a pain, but it should work. I can't imagine they changed the wiring around on the courtesy lighting overhead...
Old 09-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

So is the wiring for the E60 LCI the exact same as the previous E60? Can anyone confirm this?

I'm thinking of getting a V1 as well and would like to see if following the posted wiring advice is still applicable....
Old 04-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Has this issue been solved in the '08 550i? I have tapped the green/yel wire (the only one in the compartment, leads to the sunroof switch), the V1 doesn't power up even though there's 13.7v verified, and I get the anti-trap warning when I attempt to operate the sunroof. If I disconnect the red wire to the V1 from the tap, the warning goes away and the sunroof operates.

I think we need to tap a different switched power wire for the V1, but I have no idea which one.

HELP?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='568648' date='Apr 26 2008, 10:13 AM
Has this issue been solved in the '08 550i? I have tapped the green/yel wire (the only one in the compartment, leads to the sunroof switch), the V1 doesn't power up even though there's 13.7v verified, and I get the anti-trap warning when I attempt to operate the sunroof. If I disconnect the red wire to the V1 from the tap, the warning goes away and the sunroof operates.

I think we need to tap a different switched power wire for the V1, but I have no idea which one.

HELP?
IMO the reason the blue tap does not work is because the wire is too small. Also I would have concerns about too small of wire for the current of the V1 plus whatever the wire is feeding. Tap into the passenger side 12v aux port under the dash is best IMHO.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by Glock-357' post='568689' date='Apr 26 2008, 11:27 AM
IMO the reason the blue tap does not work is because the wire is too small. Also I would have concerns about too small of wire for the current of the V1 plus whatever the wire is feeding. Tap into the passenger side 12v aux port under the dash is best IMHO.
You may well be right about the wire vs the load it is bearing, I don't know how much. But the blue tap did its job, the wire is not too small for that. I verified 13.7v coming to the V1 junction box via multimeter. That's not the problem.

Cal
Old 04-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '08 535i Titanium Silver, Grey Dakota Comfort Seats-Premium Pkg, Nav, ipod, PDC, Steptronic Proud BMW owner since 9-1-07

I did this project in Oct. 07 on my 2008 535i delivered in Sept.
NO PROBLEMS FROM THEN TILL NOW. (Knocking wood)

As this was a reinstall of my V1 which had been in another vehicle, I did not have the blue connector, so, and in keeping with a suggestion of the forum install instructions, I went to the hardware store and got a similar but SMALLER connector.

A good connection to the proper wire and a GOOD ground are essential. Otherwise all worked well from the gate.

I can't believe that there is a wiring change since then but might it be a software issue??? detecting a current drain? in a later version of the vehicle?

Best of luck on figuring this out. I can't imagine driving without my V1.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Carbon Black Metallic with Black Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, NAV, Cold-Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Impact Airbags, Sirius, iPod/USB Adapter,
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='568648' date='Apr 26 2008, 01:13 PM

HELP?
Aren't there two sets or groups of wires above the overhead compartment. Is there a green/yel on the other set of wires?

Quick Reply: Valentine Install for 2008 535i