DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Someone with BMW WDS, HELP: need 12V switched power in overhead consol

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I cannot get WDS to work on my PC (from link posted on this forum several days ago). Anyone that has access to it, can it be used to identify a 12V switched wire in the overhead console beside the green/yello wire? (for a 2008 550i).

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance. I should have done what JeffNNJ did...

Thanks,

Cal
Old 04-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Do It Yourself.

http://wds.west.lv/

You will need http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/ to view.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='568847' date='Apr 26 2008, 04:17 PM
Do It Yourself.

http://wds.west.lv/

You will need http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/ to view.
Thanks Bruce. I guess I wasn't clear enough. WDS won't run on my PC. It crashes IE7 everytime after running for ever to load the directory on the left.

I can't get it to work.

If you can't or don't want to help, no problem. But this DIY effort isn't getting anywhere and I was looking for something a little more helpful than "Do It Yourself."

Cal
Old 04-27-2008, 01:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

I thought you didnt know about the online WDS. Anyway according to it there is no difference between the pre-LCI and the LCI cars in this area.

Is the picture of the area you need. One of those wires coming in from Basic Light Module should be able to give you the 12V you are looking for.

Someone with BMW WDS, HELP: need 12V switched power in overhead consol-overheadlights.jpg

Or if you are using the Sunroof power then here is the picture. Again this dont seem to have changed in this area since 2005/Sep.

Someone with BMW WDS, HELP: need 12V switched power in overhead consol-subroof.jpg
Old 04-27-2008, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

Thanks, this is indeed where I was trying to get to. Thank you very much!
Cal
Old 04-27-2008, 06:36 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

You know there is a 12v socket in the passenger footwell, above where your left foot would be.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

Yes; but I prefer the V1 mounted high on the windshield, and while I believe the power wire could be routed to the footwell, I had wondered how clean and simple that is. Assuming I get good 12V switched in the overhead console it seemed simpler.
Thanks,
Cal
Old 09-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Members

My Ride: E46 320d 6speed 110kW with changed backlight color:)

Did You solved Your problem lookin for switched 12V?

Because none of these wires shown on pics from bruce has switched 12V and if he thought to connect it to wire GR/RT from light module, that is as You can see only backlight of all instruments and can be ADJUSTABLE!!!!

You need wire called in automotive industry terminal 15, You can see here that on pics are only terminals 30 and CAN...
Old 09-27-2008, 02:05 AM
Contributors

Not GR/RT from the light module but the RT/GR from the fuse box for the sun roof, 30G should be good enough because that will go to sleep with the rest of the car. Terminal 15 comes on only when the car is running.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:47 AM
Members

My Ride: E46 320d 6speed 110kW with changed backlight color:)

Are You sure with that it will go to sleep? Have tried it with multimeter?

Quick Reply: Someone with BMW WDS, HELP: need 12V switched power in overhead consol