DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

It's a way of making money, make sure when you do the fiber wiring you can see the light thru the plug (pic #7), the easy way to tell is unplug the power+fiber plug and start the car then when you put in gear (either D or R) not long after that the iDrive will complaint 'bout SOS malfunction, if you do put the plug back in to the module and re-start again all should be good now that mean your fiber loop are complete.

If you don't see light thru that plug and/or while the car on gear you don't get SOS malfunction warning while the plug is off the module then your fiber loop is still close not reaching the module and taking to the dealer will result additional charge 'cuz they have to re-connect the fiber in the fiber jumper block since during re-programming their system can't see the module and could be costly labor.

GL!

Originally Posted by jeseay' post='708071' date='Oct 30 2008, 06:54 PM
So what's the deal with the programming. I followed all of the install steps as you described, but the SAT option does not show when I got to entertainment on the iDrive. Is there another step (other than going to the dealer) that I need to follow?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='708090' date='Oct 30 2008, 05:13 PM
It's a way of making money, make sure when you do the fiber wiring you can see the light thru the plug (pic #7), the easy way to tell is unplug the power+fiber plug and start the car then when you put in gear (either D or R) not long after that the iDrive will complaint 'bout SOS malfunction, if you do put the plug back in to the module and re-start again all should be good now that mean your fiber loop are complete.

If you don't see light thru that plug and/or while the car on gear you don't get SOS malfunction warning while the plug is off the module then your fiber loop is still close not reaching the module and taking to the dealer will result additional charge 'cuz they have to re-connect the fiber in the fiber jumper block since during re-programming their system can't see the module and could be costly labor.

GL!
I followed your steps multiple times and never got the light to come on in the fiber connector. So, it's of to BMW land to get it fixed!!
Old 10-31-2008, 05:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

If you still up for it follow the first few steps from this DIY http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=60013 to extend the fiber loop to included the module in your car.

Originally Posted by jeseay' post='708375' date='Oct 31 2008, 02:18 AM
I followed your steps multiple times and never got the light to come on in the fiber connector. So, it's of to BMW land to get it fixed!!
Old 10-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='708482' date='Oct 31 2008, 06:07 AM
If you still up for it follow the first few steps from this DIY http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=60013 to extend the fiber loop to included the module in your car.
I am fairly technical, but splicing fiber is not in wallet of skills. Plus, it sounds like I still need to have the dealer program the SAT device in iDrive. So I have a 7:20 am appointment tomorrow to have the wizards finish the job....Thanks for the help.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Does anyone have a copy of the BMW E60 satellite kit installation instructions? I have the SA693 option, I just need to know where and how to hook-up the factory provided cables to the MOST bus.

The MOST bus located behind the left (driver's side) rear seat upholstery- does this mean that I have to remove the rear seatback, or can I get to the bus from the trunk?

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

If you have SA693 you'll have the MOST & power cables wire loom already tucked in on the left side of the trunk, as you've mentioned you need to 'extend' the MOST loop to include that SA693 and the jumper block is located near the top of drive side rear shock, you'll have to remove at least the left side of the trunk lining and you'll see a block of black plastic that has green/yellow fiber wires loop.

Sorry no install manual and for sure you don't need to remove the seatback. GL!

Originally Posted by txag_530i' post='765822' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:20 AM
Does anyone have a copy of the BMW E60 satellite kit installation instructions? I have the SA693 option, I just need to know where and how to hook-up the factory provided cables to the MOST bus.

The MOST bus located behind the left (driver's side) rear seat upholstery- does this mean that I have to remove the rear seatback, or can I get to the bus from the trunk?

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:51 AM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

Originally Posted by txag_530i' post='765822' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:20 PM

Thanks.
The wiring is behind the section of upholstery next to the door where the seat belt rests when unbuckled. It just pops out with some effort. Quite honesty since you have to have the car programmed anyway just let the dealer do it. Also sometimes they have to upgrade the car software before they install Sirius in order to install it which means they have to undo what you already did.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Hi txag 530i

Take look here ( for limosine ) , just made this picture for you , hope its clarify's it for you and all other's as well.

Have a nice day
Attached Thumbnails Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)-100_0532.jpg  
Old 01-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i

Anyone know how much Sirius a year? I got it on my tv and most of the channels play really good songs.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by ObD' post='765841' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:51 AM
The wiring is behind the section of upholstery next to the door where the seat belt rests when unbuckled. It just pops out with some effort. Quite honesty since you have to have the car programmed anyway just let the dealer do it. Also sometimes they have to upgrade the car software before they install Sirius in order to install it which means they have to undo what you already did.
My car is currently in the shop getting all kinds of software upgrades (or so I am lead to believe) so I plan on taking care of the install myself and saving the 1.5-2 hours of labor charges. I've also found an independent shop here in Houston that will activate the option for me in iDrive for about $100. Thanks for the location details.

Quick Reply: Sirius Satellite Module Install (DIY)