DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Right Low Beam Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys.

I recently received a message stating "Right Low Beam Failure" in my '04 530. It didn't start flickering or anything, just went out one day. From searching, it looks like the bulb may have just reached its expected lifespan. I'm going to pull the bulb to verify the bulb type and that all the connections are still intact before replacing. I'll likely replace the pair of bulbs and keep the working one for a spare as others here have suggested.

My question: Where you guys buy your bulbs? I'm assuming the dealership would be crazy high, but I want to maintain the OEM look and quality. The OEM bulb should be branded, right? If so, I'll just look for the same bulb online I guess. Any recs for stores?

Thanks!
Craig
Old 10-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F10 M-Sport
Model Year: 2014

Originally Posted by craigt-from-atl' post='1033917' date='Oct 16 2009, 11:16 AM
Hey guys.

I recently received a message stating "Right Low Beam Failure" in my '04 530. It didn't start flickering or anything, just went out one day. From searching, it looks like the bulb may have just reached its expected lifespan. I'm going to pull the bulb to verify the bulb type and that all the connections are still intact before replacing. I'll likely replace the pair of bulbs and keep the working one for a spare as others here have suggested.

My question: Where you guys buy your bulbs? I'm assuming the dealership would be crazy high, but I want to maintain the OEM look and quality. The OEM bulb should be branded, right? If so, I'll just look for the same bulb online I guess. Any recs for stores?

Thanks!
Craig
Well if you need D1S or D2S you can get them from reliable board member Brabusw209amg.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by craigt-from-atl' post='1033917' date='Oct 16 2009, 11:16 AM
Hey guys.

Thanks!
Craig
Good approach Depending on your headlight / bulb (xenon v halogen), replacements are readily available at most well stocked auto stores. You can always order from one of the Forum sponsors - I'm sure they appreciate the biz and the price difference may be small!
Old 10-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Members

Hey guys.

Thanks!
Craig
Same thing just happened to me on my '04 530i. I'd suggest getting the bulb(s) before you pull the headlight assembly so you can take of the whoe job and only pull the assembly once. I just replaced my passenger's side bulb with a philips bulb. It looked virtually identical to the original OEM philips bulb that was in there. And even though I only replaced the one bulb, there is no noticable differance at night between the passenger's side and the driver's side. I picked the bulb up on eBay for I think 40-something bucks. But, like others wrote above, you could probably suppor a sponsor here here for similar cost. Oh and by the way, my headlights are the xenon HID type
Old 10-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vaca' post='1034098' date='Oct 16 2009, 02:58 PM
Same thing just happened to me on my '04 530i. I'd suggest getting the bulb(s) before you pull the headlight assembly so you can take of the whoe job and only pull the assembly once. I just replaced my passenger's side bulb with a philips bulb. It looked virtually identical to the original OEM philips bulb that was in there. And even though I only replaced the one bulb, there is no noticable differance at night between the passenger's side and the driver's side. I picked the bulb up on eBay for I think 40-something bucks. But, like others wrote above, you could probably suppor a sponsor here here for similar cost. Oh and by the way, my headlights are the xenon HID type
Thanks everyone! I'll check things out and see which bulb I need. I've got HID as well. If a sponsor has the bulb for a reasonable price, I'll definitely try that first; ebay scares me when the prices look too good to be true.

Thanks!
Craig
Old 10-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by craigt-from-atl' post='1034200' date='Oct 16 2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks everyone! I'll check things out and see which bulb I need. I've got HID as well. If a sponsor has the bulb for a reasonable price, I'll definitely try that first; ebay scares me when the prices look too good to be true.

Thanks!
Craig

i think u have D2S since u have a 2004. Swap the good one to the bad one and see what is the actual problem. If it's the bukb, upgrade it to 6000K or 8000K . I am going on vacation next week. Stay tuned for some crazy deals.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

look at your headlights, and look real close around the perimeter of the projector, and it will say if its d1 or d2.