DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Resetting Brake Sensor Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, first post but some help would be great.

I have e60 545. I replaced front brake rotors and pads last week, I did not replace the brake sensor as according to the computer, it had 6k last and it was ok when we looked at it in a garage.

So on Thursday, I tried to reset the brake pad indicator for the front, only to produce a negative result. In fact the indicator now shows -9000 miles and the brake light is on in the dash. I read through some threads here and people had similar issue.

So is the resolution to replace the sensor or is there another way to reset this? Am I doing something wrong during the reset? I am holding down the button until the P shows, let go, press and hold again for Reset? to show up and then let go, press and hold until it resets. It resets with -9000 miles.

Any help would be great as this is bugging the hell out of me. Thank you
Old 06-10-2007, 02:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Originally Posted by BigPimp' post='426205' date='May 19 2007, 03:47 PM
Hi Guys, first post but some help would be great.
I have e60 545. I replaced front brake rotors and pads last week, I did not replace the brake sensor as according to the computer, it had 6k last and it was ok when we looked at it in a garage.

So on Thursday, I tried to reset the brake pad indicator for the front, only to produce a negative result. In fact the indicator now shows -9000 miles and the brake light is on in the dash. I read through some threads here and people had similar issue.

So is the resolution to replace the sensor or is there another way to reset this? Am I doing something wrong during the reset? I am holding down the button until the P shows, let go, press and hold again for Reset? to show up and then let go, press and hold until it resets. It resets with -9000 miles.

Any help would be great as this is bugging the hell out of me. Thank you
I had my front brake pads replaced last week at the dealer and the invoice showed only a brakepad sensor left - but nothing mentioned for the right. Hence, I conclude that either I got the right one for free or the left one was broken and needed replacement, but then I can not imagine it is necessary for the reset