DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Replacing Lower Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Originally Posted by salaki
Keep in mind before tightening the arm bolt: the suspension must be loaded w/ wheels on the ground loaded w/ body weight.

I don't know the effect if you don't but that's what I read before.
Hmmm... I looked up the TIS for this procedure and it didn't say anything about loading the suspension after the RR. I will take another closer look at the steps.

John,
Can you chime in?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
Hmmm... I looked up the TIS for this procedure and it didn't say anything about loading the suspension after the RR. I will take another closer look at the steps.

John,
Can you chime in?
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/3052

This is what I saw. Not exactly for E60.

I also I read somewhere before for my previous non BMW cars, that it's always recommended to tighten bolts of suspension parts w/ rubber bushings when its loaded to make sure the bushing doesn't have stress at loaded suspension level.
(Bushing should only have stress when the suspension travels)

I came accross this thread on google search fro LS1 forum:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/suspen...-bushings.html

From my experience it's not necessary to load the suspension to perform most of the procedure, however it's still easiest to use some sort of drive-on lift or a cozy pit. When reinstalling, the LCA bolts should only be torqued once the vehicle is level with the suspension loaded, otherwise the bushings will prematurely wear.

This is important with rubber, but not important with poly and/or spherical bearings.
My thoughts:
Looking at the pic of the arm, it seems that the suspension bolt has rubber bushing that is glued/molded w/ the sleeve.

If you tighten the bolt w/ no load on the suspension = bushing rests w/o stress with unloaded suspension.
Then when you put the wheels back on and lower the car down (loading the suspension), the bushing will have unnecessary stress on the ground than if you had tighten it w/ loaded suspension.

I think this step is not necessary if you have poly bushing that is non molded to the sleeve (bushing wraps around the greased sleeve where the bushing can freely rotate around sleeve w/o giving stress)

I hope you can understand what I mean
Old 07-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Everything makes perfect sense. Thanks so much for all the pointers.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
Everything makes perfect sense. Thanks so much for all the pointers.
No problemo.
Good luck on the DIY.
If I lived in S.Cal, I'd be more than happy to help you guys work on it to learn before my turn changing it in the future

If you don't mind writing up a DIY w/ pics whenever you are doing it.
More DIY never hurt
Old 07-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by salaki
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/3052

This is what I saw. Not exactly for E60.

I also I read somewhere before for my previous non BMW cars, that it's always recommended to tighten bolts of suspension parts w/ rubber bushings when its loaded to make sure the bushing doesn't have stress at loaded suspension level.
(Bushing should only have stress when the suspension travels)

I came accross this thread on google search fro LS1 forum:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/suspen...-bushings.html

My thoughts:
Looking at the pic of the arm, it seems that the suspension bolt has rubber bushing that is glued/molded w/ the sleeve.

If you tighten the bolt w/ no load on the suspension = bushing rests w/o stress with unloaded suspension.
Then when you put the wheels back on and lower the car down (loading the suspension), the bushing will have unnecessary stress on the ground than if you had tighten it w/ loaded suspension.

I think this step is not necessary if you have poly bushing that is non molded to the sleeve (bushing wraps around the greased sleeve where the bushing can freely rotate around sleeve w/o giving stress)

I hope you can understand what I mean
Agree, Volvo control arm also has the same requirement listed in the service manual. Has to torque the control arm bolt/nut under load.