DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Replacement Headlight AND Remove Headlamps DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='987992' date='Aug 25 2009, 09:06 AM
This is a really easy DIY, actually. I've done this for countless members and it just gets easier each time. Once you get the hang of it, it's a snap.
True enough. I replaced the left side daytime running/flash to pass bulb and didn't have too much of a problem. I had a hard time loosening the bottom bolt of the headlight assembly closest to the wheel until I used a 1/4" drive with an 8" extension and a 8mm socket. Biggest thing though is not to be in a hurry, take your time.

The only addition to this fine DIY would be to add a list of tools and items needed to complete the project.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by jrfinest' post='987566' date='Aug 24 2009, 08:45 PM
I just purchased a HID kit for my 06 525xi, with stock halogens . Any advice how where to mount the ballast? Also would the process be same as in this DIY? removal of the headlight is the only/easiest way? Would the install be different in my case with halogens as my stock bulb?
U dont need to remove headlight for halogens.

Use double side tape and mount it or use the bracket and find a hole and mount it. Where did u buy the HID kit? I hope they are CANBUS ready since it may flicker anbd cause error messages.

ALL HID kits out there ESPECIALLY EBAY ones DO NOT WORK! PLease dont waste money! The only kits that work properly are my kits and Roger's (schrulrog's) kits.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

Are those your working sneakers john. You always have those orange kicks when your hard at work. LOL
Old 09-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sweetnlowe60' post='994949' date='Sep 1 2009, 12:35 PM
Are those your working sneakers john. You always have those orange kicks when your hard at work. LOL
they r comfy! LOL. I have more sneakers somewhere. It's still packed. I moved in MONTHS ago and i still have boixes laying around unpackedf.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: [N62]

Great DIY, the process was a lot simpler after reading this tutorial! Don't forget to use tape around the headlights to prevent scratches.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Banned

I have removed the DIYs from my signature since it's making my sig too long

this is my entire list of DIYs:

HID Information: Click Me!!!
DIY Interior LEDs, HID Foglights, Plate LEDs: Click Me!!!
DIY License Plate Lamps: Click Me!!!
DIY Headlamp Removal & Headlight Install: Click Me!!!
DIY H8 Angel Eye For LCI Xenon Headlamps: Click Me!!!
DIY HID Low Beam Conversion For Halogen Headlamps: Click Me!!!
DIY Reverse Lights: Click Me!!!
DIY Low Beam HID Conversion: Click Me!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 M5 (Sepang Bronze/Natural Brown) Eisenmann Exhaust with Miesterchaft Sections 1 & 2 Evosport Headers Evosport Pulley RPi Scoops & Block Off Plates with BMC Filters Eibach Pro-Kit Springs 20" Breyton Race CS in Polished Silver

My D1S's arrived this morning!

Gonna get those suckers in there tonight!

BTW, have you installed them on an M5? Cause i can tell you.. there are much more panels to unscrew than those pictures!! Hahaha.. it's a real pain in the a$$
Old 08-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Members

Great DIY!

Never replaced a xenon bulb before - Guess that the "high voltage" sticker has some effect on me, even though i like to fix things myself (preferably mechanics).

No cables to the headlight is disconnected in the DIY. Do that involve that some risks or did the you remove the minus connector on the battery?

Rgds,
Rasmus
Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by Rasmus
Great DIY!

Never replaced a xenon bulb before - Guess that the "high voltage" sticker has some effect on me, even though i like to fix things myself (preferably mechanics).

No cables to the headlight is disconnected in the DIY. Do that involve that some risks or did the you remove the minus connector on the battery?

Rgds,
Rasmus
As long as the headlight is off there is no risk of shock, do not remove the battery cable.

The reason why the headlight cable is not removed is because of 2 things.

1. if you forget then you will have to remove the assembly all over again to plug it in.

2. There is a trick to removing them. On the big connector you must slide the sleeve to one side until it releases. On the small connector you have to squeeze the tang to remove it.

Make sure to test the headlight before you reinstall the assembly back in the car.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Banned

even if ur headlights are on, if ur careful, ur fine. But I dont recommend it since there are moving components inside the headlight and if u move it too much, things are start breaking.

Quick Reply: Replacement Headlight AND Remove Headlamps DIY