DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:17 AM
ya5
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for reply Anzafin ... I maybe able to get hold of a manifold from 2008 for next to nothing ... and thought would be easier to swap out old for new ...

If I do have to remove the swirl flaps from mine , I wont be putting them back in again ...

So is it just matter of remove the flaps and block hole with screw and job done .. ??

What size screw is needed ??

Thanks again
Old 09-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by ya5' post='998198' date='Sep 4 2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks for reply Anzafin ... I maybe able to get hold of a manifold from 2008 for next to nothing ... and thought would be easier to swap out old for new ...

If I do have to remove the swirl flaps from mine , I wont be putting them back in again ...

So is it just matter of remove the flaps and block hole with screw and job done .. ??

What size screw is needed ??

Thanks again
10mm M5 screws with some industrial glue or similar adhesive are fine. Just follow this DIY and that's it.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:02 AM
Members

Hi All,

I'm a 320d owner and only joined because i've got the same problem as Dr Dave had, i'm missing one of the orange seal/washers and my car is waiting to be put back together.

Dr Dave, may I ask where you hired the endoscope from? Was it any use in searching the engine bay for it as well?

I too am worried it's in the engine. I'll try and find an endoscope on monday and have a search around.

Is putting a vacuum cleaner on the inlet ports to try and suck it up (if it is there) a no-no?

and is the washer/seal a necessary part?

Cheers, Rich

P.s the flaps on my 70k 2001 320d were in v good condition
Old 11-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hermes' post='1060114' date='Nov 22 2009, 02:02 PM
Hi All,

I'm a 320d owner and only joined because i've got the same problem as Dr Dave had, i'm missing one of the orange seal/washers and my car is waiting to be put back together.

Dr Dave, may I ask where you hired the endoscope from? Was it any use in searching the engine bay for it as well?

I too am worried it's in the engine. I'll try and find an endoscope on monday and have a search around.

Is putting a vacuum cleaner on the inlet ports to try and suck it up (if it is there) a no-no?

and is the washer/seal a necessary part?

Cheers, Rich

P.s the flaps on my 70k 2001 320d were in v good condition
Ouch. Sorry to hear about the washer.
Let us now how it ended.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61, 530D, 2005

Tomorrow I go to see BMW Nuremberg and get their advice. 530d (2005) 117K km. I wonder what will they say with regard to that issue. I guess, I'll go for the complete intake replacement, seems to be not that expensive solution. This will give me 2 years warranty so if anything happens they will be liable. What do you think abut that solution guys?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pszyman' post='1060268' date='Nov 22 2009, 08:34 PM
Tomorrow I go to see BMW Nuremberg and get their advice. 530d (2005) 117K km. I wonder what will they say with regard to that issue. I guess, I'll go for the complete intake replacement, seems to be not that expensive solution. This will give me 2 years warranty so if anything happens they will be liable. What do you think abut that solution guys?
If you don't consider a new intake manifold expensive and if you don't want to get rid of the problem forever by removing the swirl flaps, then go for it .
Old 11-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Members

Hmmm, not an easy decision.

I'll also check with the independent garage that specialize in diesel engines. They're Germans so lets see what will they say . I kind of hesitate to improve the engine with removing parts of it. Simply doesn't sound good with all the respect to what I've read on the Internet.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Members

BMW guys say it might happen but it's not so common failure. The independent garage guys have a similar opinion and claim the problem concerns also diesel Mercedes, Audi etc. engines, the same design of intake. It's rather save to drive till 100K but for the piece of mind they recommend to change the whole bridge when reaching >120K km mileage.

I decided to pay 700Euro two years insurance (warranty) and get it replaced by BMW.

Anyway, thanks to the forum for that topic !!!
Old 11-23-2009, 04:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='1060253' date='Nov 22 2009, 06:10 PM
Ouch. Sorry to hear about the washer.
Let us now how it ended.
Ended peacefully. I gave the ports a fairly thorough search with a flexible magnet and came to the conclusion the washer was not there and wouldnt have fit anyway. Crossed my fingers, bought some new washers at bmw rybrook warwick this morning and then put my car back together just now.

Seems a bit more responsive when accelerating, but could be my imagination (especially as i've been driving a clio in the meantime).
I did break off the plastic clip holding one of the sensors under the manifold when removing it (as it was an arse to get out) so used a cable tie to hold it back up. I also dropped one of those black plastic clips into the engine bay at the back, but managed to get that back by taking the left front wheel off and putting a long rod in and grabbing it.

All in all, eventfull, but a happy ending. Glad I did it really, felt I learnt quite a bit too.

Thanks again for the guide
Old 11-23-2009, 05:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hermes' post='1060669' date='Nov 23 2009, 03:31 PM
Ended peacefully. I gave the ports a fairly thorough search with a flexible magnet and came to the conclusion the washer was not there and wouldnt have fit anyway. Crossed my fingers, bought some new washers at bmw rybrook warwick this morning and then put my car back together just now.

Seems a bit more responsive when accelerating, but could be my imagination (especially as i've been driving a clio in the meantime).
I did break off the plastic clip holding one of the sensors under the manifold when removing it (as it was an arse to get out) so used a cable tie to hold it back up. I also dropped one of those black plastic clips into the engine bay at the back, but managed to get that back by taking the left front wheel off and putting a long rod in and grabbing it.

All in all, eventfull, but a happy ending. Glad I did it really, felt I learnt quite a bit too.

Thanks again for the guide
I like happy endings ! Congrats!

Quick Reply: Removing the swirl flaps in a diesel engine