DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

removal of i drive screen for interface

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bruce, i know nothing about vehicle electronics at all, but on my girlfriends merc CLK she got her command nav programed to show DVD's on the move via the sat nav slot? took the guy 10 mins with a laptop.
if BMW use a DVD drive then surely it can be programed to display on the monitor via the DVD drive?
DVD is DVD or is that too simple? as i say i know zip about these things/

im going to B&W this weekend to have the pro nav fitted, i will ask jason for some more info on whats available.

good luck
david.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='708705' date='Oct 31 2008, 04:18 PM
bruce, i know nothing about vehicle electronics at all, but on my girlfriends merc CLK she got her command nav programed to show DVD's on the move via the sat nav slot? took the guy 10 mins with a laptop.
if BMW use a DVD drive then surely it can be programed to display on the monitor via the DVD drive?
DVD is DVD or is that too simple? as i say i know zip about these things/

im going to B&W this weekend to have the pro nav fitted, i will ask jason for some more info on whats available.

good luck
david.
Dave, DVD is DVD but in order to play a DVD movie you need software in the car that can understand the DVD Video format and play it. As an example you buy a computer with a DVD drive, you can use that drive for everything but if you want to play a DVD movie you need to load a special software on your computer to do that. BMW have chosen not include this software on the car. Thats why although the DVD drive can read map data and audio or mp3 data it wont play a DVD - the software just isn't there. On the merc, the software is present to allow DVD Videos to be played, however merc (like BMW) have added a safety feature to avoid the Video being displayed while the car is in motion. What the guy with his laptop is doing is reprogramming that safety feature.

If any after market dealer can get the in-dash DVD drive to read DVD Videos, he's going to have a long line of people outside his shop - something I've not seen yet.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well explained, i understand now.
thanks bruce.