DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Rear window anti-trap reset

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='618511' date='Jul 7 2008, 10:31 PM
Welcome to the forums Doug.

Just a guess but it looks to me like you were having this window problem and Google brought you here -- correct?
Thanks. Correct, google took me here. I have read quite a bit here before and another forum before I purchased my BMW last month, just not had time to register yet till I saw someone else with the exact same problem as me
Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535Xi

Originally Posted by Doug0403' post='618509' date='Jul 7 2008, 11:29 PM
Worked like a charm for me on the second try.

I did not hear any beeps, I did accept the inital warning that comes on when you start the car, and go into service codes to see the actual "anti-trap" error when I performed it for the second try.
same deal for me, first time nothing, second time it worked like a charm
Old 07-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='305541' date='Jun 30 2006, 07:32 PM
I have this warning most of the time when neg battery cable removed. Everytime this happens, I use auto function to see which window gets effected. Once I found the effected one, I roll it up all the way, release the switch momentarily, try to hold the switch for rolling up again although it go nowhere. After this step, the warning goes away. It works EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Works perfect! Thanks!
Old 07-14-2008, 01:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d/full leather/prof. nav/prof. audio/logic 7/bluetooth/
Wink

Originally Posted by Doug0403' post='618509' date='Jul 8 2008, 05:29 AM

I did not hear any beeps, I did accept the inital warning that comes on when you start the car, and go into service codes to see the actual "anti-trap" error when I performed it for the second try.

Also I believe you CANNOT sit at the driver side to perform these unless the driver side window is the one with the issue.

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
2) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
3) I released the switch
4) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
5) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
6) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
7) After #6 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Hope that helps.

Doug, you're my hero !! IT WORKED

I also first checked the error message on the board computer, but I don't know if that was neccesary,
any way, these instructions worked for my car, is a 2006 model

finally, I'm freed from the error message at every startup ...
Old 07-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5 2006 SAPPHIRE BLACK

Originally Posted by Doug0403' post='618509' date='Jul 8 2008, 04:29 AM

Also I believe you CANNOT sit at the driver side to perform these unless the driver side window is the one with the issue.

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
2) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
3) I released the switch
4) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
5) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
6) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
7) After #6 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Hope that helps.
Doug0403 ...had the same problem,my car 535d m sport auto dec 2004 still under BMW warranty,was about to arrange a visit to the local stealer,but followed your instructions and it works... and yes i had to use the button for the faulty window..not the drivers control panel...it was my right side passenger window...no wonder my neighbour was giving me funny looks
Old 08-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Members

I have tried it all to no avail! Both techniques- engine "on" and "running". My window is still doing the same thing and still have the anti-trap malfunction warning. Anybody else have any ideas before I replace the motor and the Hall sensors?
Old 08-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Doug you are the man!!! Finally, after 6 months I was able to fix it using your instructions!! Both my dealer and I tried the official BMW technique and it would not reset. Dealer told me I'd have to schedule an appointment and they would have to check out the system, etc. The difference was having the car running and holding down the button exactly 17 seconds!!

WHOO HOO - I don't have to tie it up at the dealers for a day and risk having them tear into my rear door panel....sweet!!

Ahhhh, it's the little victories in life that matter the most
Old 08-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by wpsimril' post='649457' date='Aug 18 2008, 06:54 PM
I have tried it all to no avail! Both techniques- engine "on" and "running". My window is still doing the same thing and still have the anti-trap malfunction warning. Anybody else have any ideas before I replace the motor and the Hall sensors?

I know it sounds corny - but I too tried this technique at least a dozen times over the past several months with no success...try holding the button down EXACTLY 17 seconds with the engine running...that is what finally worked for me! Good luck
Old 08-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by avaneyck' post='623270' date='Jul 14 2008, 02:16 AM
snip...snip...

finally, I'm freed from the error message at every startup ...
Ahhhhh....having that Anti-Trap Warning message not come on with every start, it's almost as good as...well you know what
Old 08-25-2008, 06:20 AM
Members

ATTENTION ALL THE ULTIMATE FIX
************************************************** ******************************

I have been trying to rectify this problem on my car for about 4-5 months now and have tried searching all over the internet and could not find a method that worked. It was either not specified correctly by other members in the forums or I was not following the instructions correctly. Either way the problem is now resolved and a Big Thank You for RUDY'S instructions shown below as they were spot on.

1) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
2) I released the switch
3) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
4) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
5) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
6) After #5 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Note: You will need to read the instructions carefully and follow it to the T, as a small step in the wrong direction will negate the whole initialization process.

Quick Reply: Rear window anti-trap reset