5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/)
-   -   Rear window anti-trap reset (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/rear-window-anti-trap-reset-25812/)

das 05-16-2006 05:43 PM

Hello.

I have a rear-window anti-trap malfunction on the left rear window. All of the forum posts here (that I've been able to find, anyway) refer to a procedure that approximates the following:

With the ignition in the "On" position, roll down the affected window all the way (continue to depress if the window stops), then hold for 5-10 seconds. Then, roll the affected window all the way back up, then hold for 5-10 seconds.

I've tried variations of this procedure with the vehicle running, the ignition "On" with the engine switched off, or the ignition in the accessory mode. My dealer claims that the above procedure is for the front windows, but not the rear, and that the "procedure for the rear windows is confusing even to them", and thus they asked I schedule a service appointment.

Of course, being the stubborn bastard I am, I don't care to schedule a service appointment, even if it is free. Does anyone know what the rear window anti-trap reset procedure is, or what I might have done wrong?

Thanks!

Rudy 05-16-2006 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
das, there is a small difference in procedure between the front and the rears. The rears need to be "taught" both the upper and lower stops where the fronts only need to learn the upper stop.

If you haven't already done so, take a look (or download a copy) of the .pdf I posted in the technical gallery:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...cmd=si&img=3076

Take a look at the bookmark called "Indirect anti-trapping mechanism" under the "System functions" section. It explains what the car is doing as the window is moving up or down. If you keep having a problem, you might have a faulty window motor or a faulty "hall sensor" (whatever the hell that is...)

Also, for good measure, here's the instructions on reinitializing the windows:
Attachment 19014

Good luck!

miss525i 05-16-2006 07:04 PM

Hi das, I don't know if I will make you feel any better...but I had the same problem with the rear window a couple of weeks ago.

It happened shortly after my passenger seat belt restraint warning came on. The manual didn't help me with solving either one of the problems.

I kept messing with the window for about a week until one day the message disappeared and the window was good as new. Strange...but it did go away by itself!!!

I am still waiting for the passenger seat belt restraint warning to go away...comes up every time I turn on the engine. At this point I am convinced a part needs to be replaced.

Good luck!

skaffa 05-17-2006 06:33 AM

We (AKA Hobi) installed trunk release button and I got that same alarm for both rear side windows (battery was disconnected). Nor Hobi or my tech could "teach" windows with buttons. With "big tester" they were able to done it eventually. When I go to get my car I have ask if this will be the case next time when I disconnect battery? :blink: It would be stupid if I have to visit every time in workshop after "power failure"! :thumbsdown:

Skaffa

anees420 06-29-2006 10:23 AM

Rudy the instructions worked a like a charm....

One word of advice... maybe a few words ;)

"Hold down the 'open window botton' until you see a picture of a window on the Dash (thats how you know its been pressed down long enough)... you also hear a beep...then press the botton up until the picture of the window disappears.... your done.... all this needs to be done while the key is on the ON position... but the engine is NOT RUNNING"

best of luck everyone,
Anees

Rudy 06-29-2006 05:58 PM

anees420, what year car do you have? This is the first I've heard of any dashboard light that illuminates in conjunction with the window re-initialization. I wonder if the light is present on older cars and the software now supports this or if this is something they added to the newer model year cars?

my530i 06-30-2006 09:32 AM

I have this warning most of the time when neg battery cable removed. Everytime this happens, I use auto function to see which window gets effected. Once I found the effected one, I roll it up all the way, release the switch momentarily, try to hold the switch for rolling up again although it go nowhere. After this step, the warning goes away. It works EVERY SINGLE TIME. :)

anees420 07-19-2006 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='305296' date='Jun 29 2006, 08:58 PM
anees420, what year car do you have? This is the first I've heard of any dashboard light that illuminates in conjunction with the window re-initialization. I wonder if the light is present on older cars and the software now supports this or if this is something they added to the newer model year cars?

Rudy,
I have 2004 525i sport... nothing really special... i just noticed the picture on the dash when i was re-initializing the window... and made a little beeep

i hope this helps Rudy,

Anees

Rudy 07-19-2006 04:23 PM

I'll have to look to see it I have a light like that. Are you in the US or somewhere else?

anees420 07-20-2006 01:46 PM

Rudy,

I have US model... i live in southern california... i was actually bought from BMW of San Diego

Rudy 07-20-2006 02:19 PM

Cool. I keep forgetting to check if I have that light -- does anyone else have it?

satelit 07-21-2006 03:16 AM

Thanks guys, i'm from europe... the instructions helped me.. I have claimed this issue for a almoust a year...now it works fine

Thanks again

OliverB 07-21-2006 04:31 AM

I've got the same problem : rear-window anti-trap malfunction on the left rear window.

I tried to do a reset, but it doesn't work. Maybe my hall sensor is out of order ?

Has anyone a solution for me, s.th. else to try ??

Txk

Oliverh

OliverB 07-22-2006 02:14 PM

? ?

Answer pls ?

Rudy 07-22-2006 04:01 PM

If you followed the instructions on reinitializing the windows and it still is giving you trouble, then I'd say you should have the dealer check it out.

fantomas 10-02-2007 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='283411' date='May 17 2006, 04:14 AM
das, there is a small difference in procedure between the front and the rears. The rears need to be "taught" both the upper and lower stops where the fronts only need to learn the upper stop.

If you haven't already done so, take a look (or download a copy) of the .pdf I posted in the technical gallery:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...si&img=3076

Take a look at the bookmark called "Indirect anti-trapping mechanism" under the "System functions" section. It explains what the car is doing as the window is moving up or down. If you keep having a problem, you might have a faulty window motor or a faulty "hall sensor" (whatever the hell that is...)

Also, for good measure, here's the instructions on reinitializing the windows:
Attachment 19014

Good luck!

Hi,

I got an E60 MY2005 and my dealer has just reinitialized the left rear power window using the instructions given by Rudy.

One interesting detail : first , he tried with the ignition key in the ON position but failed than he tried with the engine running and succeed.

Tim 05-15-2008 09:18 AM

Finally got my window to reset! This is the process that I followed. The BMW instructions didn't work.

1. Start the car. Key in position "on" did not work for me.
2. At the window that is having the problem, lower the window all the way down (open) and then release the switch.
Don't do step 2 from the driver's seat. Do it at the window that is having problems.
You will know which window has problems because the "one-touch" function doesn't work.
3. After the window is fully down, push the switch all the way down (to position 2 or one-touch open position) and hold for 20 seconds.
4. Then immediately pull the switch up to position 2 (one-touch close position) and hold. Do not let go (even if the window stops after a few inches of going up)
5. Wait until the anti-trap message on the display disappears.

The symptoms I had were:
a. One-touch open/close did not work on the problem window.
b. The window only opened/closed 4 inches at a time even if you held the button down/up.
c. Anti-trap message appears on the console every time I started the car.

Thanks to Rudy for the initial instruction set!

Tim

avaneyck 06-25-2008 11:56 PM

Tim, you wrote:

Originally Posted by Tim' post='581291' date='May 15 2008, 07:18 PM
Finally got my window to reset! This is the process that I followed. The BMW instructions didn't work.

2. At the window that is having the problem, lower the window all the way down (open) and then release the switch.
Don't do step 2 from the driver's seat. Do it at the window that is having problems.
You will know which window has problems because the "one-touch" function doesn't work.
3. After the window is fully down, push the switch all the way down (to position 2 or one-touch open position) and hold for 20 seconds.
4. Then immediately pull the switch up to position 2 (one-touch close position) and hold. Do not let go (even if the window stops after a few inches of going up)
Tim

Do you mean that step 3 must be done from the driver's seat?
should I hear a beep after holding the button for 20 seconds?

on step 5: how long should I have to wait? aprox. 20 sec?

To OliverB: did you got the problem solved yet??

thanks for your feedback

Doug0403 07-07-2008 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by avaneyck' post='610375' date='Jun 26 2008, 02:56 AM
Tim, you wrote:

Do you mean that step 3 must be done from the driver's seat?
should I hear a beep after holding the button for 20 seconds?

on step 5: how long should I have to wait? aprox. 20 sec?

To OliverB: did you got the problem solved yet??

thanks for your feedback

Worked like a charm for me on the second try.

I did not hear any beeps, I did accept the inital warning that comes on when you start the car, and go into service codes to see the actual "anti-trap" error when I performed it for the second try.

Also I believe you CANNOT sit at the driver side to perform these unless the driver side window is the one with the issue.

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
2) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
3) I released the switch
4) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
5) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
6) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
7) After #6 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Hope that helps.

Rudy 07-07-2008 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Doug0403' post='618509' date='Jul 7 2008, 11:29 PM

I did not hear any beeps, I did accept the inital warning that comes on when you start the car, and go into service codes to see the actual "anti-trap" error when I performed it for the second try.

Also I believe you CANNOT sit at the driver side to perform these unless the driver side window is the one with the issue.

Here were my steps...

1) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
2) I released the switch
3) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
4) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
5) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
6) After #5 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the forums Doug. :welcome:

Just a guess but it looks to me like you were having this window problem and Google brought you here -- correct? :cool: :thumbsup:

Doug0403 07-07-2008 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='618511' date='Jul 7 2008, 10:31 PM
Welcome to the forums Doug. :welcome:

Just a guess but it looks to me like you were having this window problem and Google brought you here -- correct? :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks. Correct, google took me here. I have read quite a bit here before and another forum before I purchased my BMW last month, just not had time to register yet till I saw someone else with the exact same problem as me :cool:

PhilPGHE60 07-09-2008 05:39 PM

same deal for me, first time nothing, second time it worked like a charm :D

Grandy 07-13-2008 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by my530i' post='305541' date='Jun 30 2006, 07:32 PM
I have this warning most of the time when neg battery cable removed. Everytime this happens, I use auto function to see which window gets effected. Once I found the effected one, I roll it up all the way, release the switch momentarily, try to hold the switch for rolling up again although it go nowhere. After this step, the warning goes away. It works EVERY SINGLE TIME. :)

Works perfect! Thanks!

avaneyck 07-14-2008 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Doug0403' post='618509' date='Jul 8 2008, 05:29 AM

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
2) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
3) I released the switch
4) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
5) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
6) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
7) After #6 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Hope that helps.

Doug, you're my hero !! IT WORKED :D

I also first checked the error message on the board computer, but I don't know if that was neccesary,
any way, these instructions worked for my car, is a 2006 model

finally, I'm freed from the error message at every startup ...

nadbat 07-19-2008 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Doug0403' post='618509' date='Jul 8 2008, 04:29 AM

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
3) I released the switch

Hope that helps.

Doug0403 :notworthy: ...had the same problem,my car 535d m sport auto dec 2004 still under BMW warranty,was about to arrange a visit to the local stealer,but followed your instructions and it works... :twoup: and yes i had to use the button for the faulty window..not the drivers control panel...it was my right side passenger window...no wonder my neighbour was giving me funny looks :unsure:

wpsimril 08-18-2008 05:54 PM

I have tried it all to no avail! Both techniques- engine "on" and "running". My window is still doing the same thing and still have the anti-trap malfunction warning. Anybody else have any ideas before I replace the motor and the Hall sensors?

HotLap 08-21-2008 03:42 PM

Doug you are the man!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Finally, after 6 months I was able to fix it using your instructions!! :D Both my dealer and I tried the official BMW technique and it would not reset. Dealer told me I'd have to schedule an appointment and they would have to check out the system, etc. The difference was having the car running and holding down the button exactly 17 seconds!!

WHOO HOO - I don't have to tie it up at the dealers for a day and risk having them tear into my rear door panel....sweet!! :cool:

Ahhhh, it's the little victories in life that matter the most :P

HotLap 08-21-2008 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by wpsimril' post='649457' date='Aug 18 2008, 06:54 PM
I have tried it all to no avail! Both techniques- engine "on" and "running". My window is still doing the same thing and still have the anti-trap malfunction warning. Anybody else have any ideas before I replace the motor and the Hall sensors?

I know it sounds corny - but I too tried this technique at least a dozen times over the past several months with no success...try holding the button down EXACTLY 17 seconds with the engine running...that is what finally worked for me! Good luck :thumbsup:

HotLap 08-21-2008 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by avaneyck' post='623270' date='Jul 14 2008, 02:16 AM
snip...snip...

finally, I'm freed from the error message at every startup ...

Ahhhhh....having that Anti-Trap Warning message not come on with every start, it's almost as good as...well you know what :lol:

sbhudia 08-25-2008 06:20 AM

ATTENTION ALL THE ULTIMATE FIX
************************************************** ******************************

I have been trying to rectify this problem on my car for about 4-5 months now and have tried searching all over the internet and could not find a method that worked. It was either not specified correctly by other members in the forums or I was not following the instructions correctly. Either way the problem is now resolved and a Big Thank You for RUDY'S instructions shown below as they were spot on.

1) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
2) I released the switch
3) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
4) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
5) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
6) After #5 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Note: You will need to read the instructions carefully and follow it to the T, as a small step in the wrong direction will negate the whole initialization process.

advancedlogic 10-05-2008 04:08 PM

Wow...works like a charm on the ole '04 545! 17 seconds is the trick. Weird...but I'm not complaining! Thanks!!!

buddy 10-05-2008 04:20 PM

Rhudy that is how mine works I get a beep and the triangle in the center consol lets me know that all is well

nola530 10-12-2008 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by das' post='283406' date='May 16 2006, 08:43 PM
Hello.

I have a rear-window anti-trap malfunction on the left rear window. All of the forum posts here (that I've been able to find, anyway) refer to a procedure that approximates the following:

With the ignition in the "On" position, roll down the affected window all the way (continue to depress if the window stops), then hold for 5-10 seconds. Then, roll the affected window all the way back up, then hold for 5-10 seconds.

I've tried variations of this procedure with the vehicle running, the ignition "On" with the engine switched off, or the ignition in the accessory mode. My dealer claims that the above procedure is for the front windows, but not the rear, and that the "procedure for the rear windows is confusing even to them", and thus they asked I schedule a service appointment.

Of course, being the stubborn bastard I am, I don't care to schedule a service appointment, even if it is free. Does anyone know what the rear window anti-trap reset procedure is, or what I might have done wrong?

Thanks!

thanks for the tip. just used it on my 530i, and it worked.

dailydrifter 10-23-2008 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Doug0403' post='618509' date='Jul 7 2008, 10:29 PM

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
3) I released the switch

Hope that helps.

Thanks Doug! Yea I've got a 2008 535 in the US, and none of the steps worked, including the PDF files.
I tried about 20-30 combos and nothing. I think having the car ON is key, at least for my car it was.

I turned the car on.
Went to the rear driver side.
rolled down window and let switch go.
I then held down the button all the way (switch2) I counted to 20 to see it would work rather than the 17 seconds.
switched to up (switch2) imidiatley and held it. I think it started moving up after a few seconds and I held it until it went up, down, and all the way up again.
Tested one touch, keyless entry window thingy, it all worked fine.

Thanks man, I almost scheduled a trip to bmw. You saved me trip!
Thanks
ALex

Amethyst 11-14-2008 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tim' post='581291' date='May 15 2008, 09:18 AM

The symptoms I had were:
a. One-touch open/close did not work on the problem window.
b. The window only opened/closed 4 inches at a time even if you held the button down/up.
c. Anti-trap message appears on the console every time I started the car.

Thanks to Rudy for the initial instruction set!

Tim

rupes 01-10-2009 04:19 PM

Thanks so much for this. I tried it first and didn't work but then (I felt pretty stupid doing it) I got out my watch and timed it for exactly 17 secs. The window went up, then down again then up. ( all while I had it in the up position) and it worked. The trick is definately the 17secs, as crazy as that sounds. I bet BMW doesn't know this

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
3) I released the switch

Hope that helps.

jjsigpi 02-05-2009 09:59 AM

Thanks for this Thread! Worked like a charm. Gotta love this site!

etchu 03-07-2009 07:04 AM

Thanks for this! Just got my rear window fixed! the fault came out after I reconnect the battery...

dajay69 03-23-2009 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by das' post='283406' date='May 17 2006, 01:43 AM
Hello.

Thanks!

This worked thanks.. thought i would have to spend ?150 a hour for them to do the same thing!!

bradleyjs 05-06-2009 05:13 AM

I don't think that I've ever rolled down the right-passenger side window. Well yesterday, I rolled them all down (via the key FOB) to vent the extreme heat before entering. Started up the car and got the anti-trap error... At first I thought that I didn't roll alll of the windows up properly or that the roof window was still open... The error was still there after I made grocery store stop and got very puzzled... So, I searched this morning and came across this post and just went out to the car and it fixed it, perfectly.

Thanks to all who worked this out!!! :number1: