5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/)
-   -   Rear window anti-trap reset (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/rear-window-anti-trap-reset-25812/)

MacSid 05-06-2009 11:00 PM

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
got it sorted in one go! Thankyouthankyouthankyou

Originally Posted by Doug0403' post='618509' date='Jul 8 2008, 05:29 AM
Worked like a charm for me on the second try.

I did not hear any beeps, I did accept the inital warning that comes on when you start the car, and go into service codes to see the actual "anti-trap" error when I performed it for the second try.

Also I believe you CANNOT sit at the driver side to perform these unless the driver side window is the one with the issue.

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
2) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
3) I released the switch
4) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
5) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
6) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
7) After #6 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Hope that helps.

dewinkle 05-08-2009 05:04 PM

This solution works great. I do have to emphasize the 17 second rule. I thought I could just count it in my head, but I ended up needing a timer to get it right.

bradleyjs 05-09-2009 06:02 AM

The precision required is as precise as a NASA Shuttle Launch. :)

uf28denied 05-31-2009 08:51 PM

I tried the first few ways to fix this.....none worked......i got to the one where yo hold the button down for 17 seconds and then pull up......WORKED LIKE A CHARM......ALL FIXED.......THANK YOU!!!!!!THAT REALLY WAS THE BEST INFO........ :twoup: :notworthy:

Brains 07-05-2009 01:33 PM

Today I tried to open my right rear window (I hardly do that as I have a small kid sitting in the back and the airco just works fine for me :cool:) . It didn't open at all and I got the "anti-trap" warning message. Does someone here know if the mentioned method also works when your window doesn't come down at all?

Rudy 07-05-2009 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Brains' post='933271' date='Jul 5 2009, 05:33 PM
Today I tried to open my right rear window (I hardly do that as I have a small kid sitting in the back and the airco just works fine for me :cool:) . It didn't open at all and I got the "anti-trap" warning message. Does someone here know if the mentioned method also works when your window doesn't come down at all?

I'm pretty sure it works in both directions...go ahead and try the reset procedure. It won't do any harm but it just might take care of things for you...

Brains 07-06-2009 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='933591' date='Jul 6 2009, 06:28 AM
I'm pretty sure it works in both directions...go ahead and try the reset procedure. It won't do any harm but it just might take care of things for you...

Thanks Rudy, I tried it and now it works fine again. Just like other people here I almost scheduled a trip to my dealer.

G530 08-09-2009 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Doug0403' post='618509' date='Jul 7 2008, 08:29 PM

I did not hear any beeps, I did accept the inital warning that comes on when you start the car, and go into service codes to see the actual "anti-trap" error when I performed it for the second try.

Also I believe you CANNOT sit at the driver side to perform these unless the driver side window is the one with the issue.

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
2) Roll down the window all the way from the "broken" window (it wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
3) I released the switch
4) I pushed and held down (I heard from another place that it needs to be exactly 17 seconds)
5) After 17 seconds I immediatly pulled up on the switch to roll the window up (it went all the way up).
6) after the window went all the way up, and still holding the up switch, it rolled all the way down, and then all the way up once more.
7) After #6 the process was complete and the window was functioning normal again.

Hope that helps.

Doug is the man! This forum is the best!!!

dank530gr 09-02-2009 07:11 AM

:D I'm the last one with same problem to the rear left window and fixed with the Doug's 17 seconds post. It was a big relief. :D
However I have a question. Did someone try to check if the antitrap function is actually working now? To be honest I was ready to test it but on the other hand I though "am I looking for troubles again?"

Rudy 09-02-2009 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by dank530gr' post='995941' date='Sep 2 2009, 11:11 AM
:D I'm the last one with same problem to the rear left window and fixed with the Doug's 17 seconds post. It was a big relief. :D
However I have a question. Did someone try to check if the antitrap function is actually working now? To be honest I was ready to test it but on the other hand I though "am I looking for troubles again?"

You can test it yourself, just use something other than your arm/hand to see what happens...

e60hodzic530 09-09-2009 06:43 PM

I just tried it and it worked thanks alot :):):)

i started my car

went to the rear left door and opened it

i clicked and held the button to open it ( it opened 3 inches) and kept holding it for 20 seconds and then quickly closed it and held it for 20 seconds...the way you know it works is because as youre holding the close button your window begins to open all in one complete motion and than closes in one complete motion as well..thanks alot Rudy

mobilejo 09-14-2009 12:23 PM

Another post just to add that I followed Doug's instructions to the letter and it worked perfectly.

Thanks.

offalis 09-17-2009 10:59 AM

After nearly chopping off my daughters finger I had to fix the anti trap!!!!!

Glad to say yes 17 secs does the trick, had to download a stopwatch for my Nokia E51 to get it bang on.

Well Done Posters

Offalis

:D

chikhodra1 09-19-2009 05:14 PM

it was truly correct. i had to try 3-4 times but finally got it. thanks million guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DJKR 12-12-2009 12:34 PM

Cheers Doug et al! 17 Seconds worked a charm!

CodeTitan 01-14-2010 05:27 PM

Wow! I am so glad you posted these instructions. I tried a bunch of other techniques that I found via Google and this was the only one that worked. Thanks!!

1997540i 01-21-2010 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Doug0403' post='618509' date='Jul 7 2008, 10:29 PM

Here were my steps...

1) I had the car started
3) I released the switch

Hope that helps.

I have a 1997 540i and the One-touch function on my front driver's side window hasn't worked in quite some time. I've tried this process several times (holding the button down for exactly 17 seconds) without any success. I'm wondering if there is a different process because I have an E39 rather than the newer E60. Any ideas?

gbaty0001 04-06-2010 04:30 PM

17 second trick does the trick!!!!!! :notworthy: :hyper: :dance:

problemchild1one 06-03-2010 10:15 PM

OK, I'm having a problem with my front passenger window..."power window anti trap function" and i tried the 20 hold down i read from another thread and now my window is stuck up and does not want to roll down and i did it from the passenger window can somebody please help

KrisH 07-04-2010 07:15 AM

Thanks guys, google pointed me in this direction, 17 seconds did the trick for me!

Rustyws 07-08-2010 06:36 AM

OMG i had that problem for so long in my driver rear window , and the 17 sec did the trick for me thanks a lot guys :notworthy:

matttytn2 07-09-2010 12:21 PM

same issue on 2004 e60 530d se uk spec... anti trap error its FIXED read this... what i did worked perfect as instructed above explained long winded.....

got in the car - started the engine error comes up

went in to the error msg on idrive - left it on the screen and left car ticking over

got out the car shut drives door and got in the back seat and shut the door! odd look from neighbour lol

rolled down the window and it stopped every few inches so i kept tapping the button untill it went all the way down braced my self

get stop watch out hit start and straight away push the button down keep it held down for 17 seconds as soon as you see 17 seconds pull up on the switch and dont let go of it keep it pulled up the windows goes all the way up to the top then goes back down to the bottom then back up to the top no let off pulling the switch up

now the triange with the ! in it has gone from the instrument clocks... the msg was still on the idrive come out of it and back in and its gone there also.

i had a play and all was working fine. i turned car off tried it out still all ok turned it back on all still working no errors still all ok.

rolled all the windows down and opened sun roof got out car and all total closured worked fine

all is fixed :)

woooohooo!! had the error weeks and it was starting to really bug me!

NavarroOne 07-19-2010 06:56 AM

I just got this problem the past week on the left rear window of my 2007 LCI E61. Window would only roll up or down when switch was continuously held; and then it would stop every 10 cm or so and to boot, I got the "power window anti-trap function!" warning every time I started the car. I tried some of the descriptions here, among other with the engine on or just with the keyfob in the slot which gives power to the hifi and windows only - none of that worked.

Eventually the key had to be in and the start button depressed (without foot on the brake) so that full ignition came on, but without the engine starting. Then I did the following:

1) Pushed down the broken window button to roll down the window all the way - which requires that the button is pressed, released and pressed a few times as it stops every 10 cm
2) Released the button when window was down all the way - then immediately pushed the button down all the way again and held it for 17 seconds
4) Released the button, then immediately pulled it up all the way to roll the window up - you will know you've succeded, as the window now goes up all the way by itself without stopping. When it hits the top, it will roll down all the way again and then all the way up once more
5) Released the switch when that whole up and down and up show was completed - problem solved, error message disappeared and window now moves all the way again without stopping

xsecure 08-05-2010 09:55 PM

A big thanks to this thread (& Doug) :notworthy: , I got same problem few days ago on my 550i and today took in to dealer (Rusnak BMW Westlake Village), the service guy (Scott) demanded $140 for diagnosis only and was suggesting that it's probably a software reset issue, and if it determined so, will probably have additional expenses --- and not covered under my CPO warranty ... I refused to get lured into that. Seemed fishy to me to start with.

Followed the recommended steps here and Sure it worked like a charm :dance: .. highly appreciate it !!!!!! :twoup:

Nexo 08-09-2010 07:02 AM

Well done Doug. It feels great getting those niggly faults fixed for free :D :D

Kiani 08-30-2010 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rudy (Post 314053)
If you followed the instructions on reinitializing the windows and it still is giving you trouble, then I'd say you should have the dealer check it out.

Hi all,

my names Kiani, i'm new to this forum and have been following this tread, can i just ask whether this would help me with my anti trap warning on my 2006 535d BMW i had it serviced the other day and i'm not sure whether they diconnected the battery, but since my rear driver side window does not go up or down at all the button is non responsive.

Any help would be appreciated...

Rudy 08-31-2010 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kiani (Post 1230986)
Hi all,

my names Kiani, i'm new to this forum and have been following this tread, can i just ask whether this would help me with my anti trap warning on my 2006 535d BMW i had it serviced the other day and i'm not sure whether they diconnected the battery, but since my rear driver side window does not go up or down at all the button is non responsive.

Any help would be appreciated...

Are you getting any anti-trap warnings? If so, then this thread may help. If not, and if the window doesn't move at all when either switch (driver's door or rear driver side door) is pressed, I think you have a different problem...

Franko 09-01-2010 02:26 PM

Success!

Thanks board!

hschwoeb 09-09-2010 04:26 PM

Thank you so much!!! I have been fighting with this and my dealer for over a month.

It worked like a Charm 17 seconds is the trick. It took me a few times but I got it to work.

Took 2004 545i to the local dealer 2 weeks so and told them on my 'Anti-trap Malfunction'.
1st visit
They said my left rear door window lost sinc and it needed to be reiinitialized. So I paid $25 and it worked for about 2 hours.

2nd visit
QUOTE on report from mechanic:
Tried to re-initialize the lifint motor. Will not take. Ran test plan and found the driv motor is failing $424.25. Part will have to be ordered.

Estimate $424.25, I declined to service.

I have it fixed now, for free, thank you 5seriesforum

HA

behrnman 09-28-2010 09:30 AM

Tim,
You are awesome! Your instructions saved me an estimated $400 to $600. I owe you. Check is in the mail!!!

jetblack3s 11-16-2010 04:31 PM

OMg what Rudy said I have a 530i 04 same with rear left window. Try everything and ddnt work but follow exactly rudy instruction, here's what I did
1. Turn on the car
2. Go to idrive and open the anti trap error message
3. Reaching back from the drive seat and roll the window all the way down... Release... Then imediately hold the up position for 17 seconds.(this is the most important part, 17 secs exact!!!) immediately hold it up again...
4. The window now goes all the way up while holding.. Continue to hold until the window open and close again.. Once after this cycle u r set.

I hope other people can get this fix also. It's the most annoying thing in the world lol

dm47rust 01-10-2011 08:02 PM

This works; Had the same exact issue and I tried the steps above and the problem is gone

ryan545i 01-24-2011 03:18 PM

hi.. i have a 04 545i... my frnt pass window wasnt rolling up. & the anti trap light came on... i tried this procedure n now window is not working.. anybody know wuts wrong?? need help..
thnx

ndsim 01-24-2011 06:57 PM

I accidentally double click up passenger side window and got the annoying "anti trap" message. Followed the instruction here to reset and it worked fine now. I did it from the driver side switches cluster with the key in 1st (radio on) position.

Gene 01-24-2011 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ryan545i (Post 1297759)
hi.. i have a 04 545i... my frnt pass window wasnt rolling up. & the anti trap light came on... i tried this procedure n now window is not working.. anybody know wuts wrong?? need help..
thnx

did you perform this reset procedure from the R passenger front door or the controls on the drivers door?

Original 03-16-2011 05:27 PM

Hello everyone.
I have 2008 528i with the power window anti-trap function on my rear left door and I have already tried different ways holding it different amount of seconds but not luck at all.
Does any of you know if the steps posted are only for older models?.
Help please.

Sluis530 03-31-2011 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Original (Post 1318402)
Hello everyone.
I have 2008 528i with the power window anti-trap function on my rear left door and I have already tried different ways holding it different amount of seconds but not luck at all.
Help please.

I just did this just now and it worked GREAT, immediate fix and i have an 04' so to answer your question, yes.

Bernardc 06-26-2011 07:40 PM

It worked like a charm! Incredible. I really didn't believe it at first but with the engine on and holding down for 17 sec. exactly and then pulling back up on the window worked...woohoo!!!

I have a 2007 530i and it worked perfectly. Remember do it from the affected window with the engine on and hold down window open for 17 sec and then pull up the window and hold it until the window rolls all the way back up and then down and then up. Then it stops and you can let go of the button. Try it. It really works!

Gene 06-26-2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Original (Post 1318402)
Hello everyone.
Help please.

the steps worked for my 2008 535i as well...AFAIK, works for all model years...

callicles 06-28-2011 09:06 AM

Doug and Rudy, you guys are awesome, I had that happen on my car about a month ago and kept trying to reinitialize it using instructions found here and from my Bentley manual all to no avail. Then I read about the 17 seconds and timed it perfectly and got it to reinitialize. The trick is definitely right at 17 seconds as I was holding on to it for 30 seconds or more trying to make sure I got it long enough but turned out it was too long.