DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Rear Bumper Removal - Need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper
Angry

Has anyone removed the rear bumper before on the E60?

I'm surprised that I have not been able to Google the instructions anywhere. I have managed to get loose either side and the rear under-body (center).

Where I'm stuck is with regard to the upper center portion. RealOEM.com shows what look like 3 tabs, so presumbably I just need to pull outward to pull it free from those clips or whatever they are. However, I'm a bit reluctant to do that with much force (which is what it seems to require).

I don't want to break it and be in a worse situation than where I'm at now. It seems to me this can't be that difficult. I have found that many BMW DIY projects seem daunting until you figure out how the engineers have over-engineered various components and then one is able to "reverse over-engineer" whatever it is and then get your project done. But anyway, I am stumped atm.

I can't see anything obvious inside the trunk area. I have removed the spare and all the plastic bits so that I can see everything. The only bolts inside that appear they could possibly do anything look more likely to be holding in the frame of the tail light assemblies.

And it's common sense to me that the bumper had to be installed somehow without being able to access anything in a strange location beneath it. Anyway, I'm stumped.

Someone who knows please help!

Thanks...

RR
Old 02-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Members

I just recently removed my bumper to install the m-tech bumper. But I don't recall there is anything you need to remove from the center. Basically remove all clips and screw from the rear wheels, 2 hex bolts from each side(inside the truck), the bottom clips and the whole thing will pop out. Here is a good instruction posted by one of the forum member here, you can search for it or here is the file that I downloaded. Hope it helps, if not, may be try to take some pic and I'm sure we can help you figure it out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
m_tech_rear_install.pdf (4.34 MB, 209 views)
Old 02-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Originally Posted by hstan545i' post='530192' date='Feb 11 2008, 07:14 PM
I just recently removed my bumper to install the m-tech bumper. But I don't recall there is anything you need to remove from the center. Basically remove all clips and screw from the rear wheels, 2 hex bolts from each side(inside the truck), the bottom clips and the whole thing will pop out. Here is a good instruction posted by one of the forum member here, you can search for it or here is the file that I downloaded. Hope it helps, if not, may be try to take some pic and I'm sure we can help you figure it out.
Great. Thank you for the file.

Regarding the center piece, sorry I was referring to the clips along the bottom center of the standard E60 bumper.

RR
Old 02-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Road Runner' post='530183' date='Feb 11 2008, 06:57 PM
I'm surprised that I have not been able to Google the instructions anywhere. I have managed to get loose either side and the rear under-body (center).
I don't know what you're Googling but if you put the three words: remove rear bumper into the Google search box at the top of each E60.net page, the following topic is returned as search result number two:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37892
Old 02-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='530203' date='Feb 11 2008, 07:43 PM
I don't know what you're Googling but if you put the three words: remove rear bumper into the Google search box at the top of each E60.net page, the following topic is returned as search result number two:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37892
I was Googling from Google.com and I think I had too many words in there. Trying to be specific in order to narrow down the search results and it seemed to have the opposite effect.

Thanks though. I wish I had read these posts earlier as I'd be done by now! My problem was the Torx bolts inside the trunk area.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

RR
Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Members

Regarding the center piece, sorry I was referring to the clips along the bottom center of the standard E60 bumper.

RR
[/quote]

ha...good luck removing those clips. i found it easier to just rip them apart and go get a new one. The dealer will charge you abt $2 per clip, but you can find the similar clips in autozone for about $2 (pack of 10 or so).