DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Radio reception problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody

I have a 2004 MY 545i and the analogue FM/AM radio sounds as though it has lost its aerial - poor reception, though listenable if you put up with the hiss. All normal stations tune in ok.

It's the same on all bands and is just as though all or part of the aerial system has pulled away from the radio, like when you use a length of wire to replace a broken antenna on a portable radio.

Can anyone suggest whether there's likely to have been a failure somewhere (eg of an aerial amplifier) or whether it's just a question of tracing the wiring through the car.

Where exactly is the radio though?!

Thanks

Andy
Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Members

I have the same very weak radio reception - particularly with AM. I have also noticed when the brake light is applied that has the impact of adding a lot of hiss to the reception. Not hard to imagine since the rear window light is inches away from the antenna fin.

Originally Posted by AndyRob' post='795316' date='Feb 17 2009, 03:43 PM
Hi everybody

I have a 2004 MY 545i and the analogue FM/AM radio sounds as though it has lost its aerial - poor reception, though listenable if you put up with the hiss. All normal stations tune in ok.

It's the same on all bands and is just as though all or part of the aerial system has pulled away from the radio, like when you use a length of wire to replace a broken antenna on a portable radio.

Can anyone suggest whether there's likely to have been a failure somewhere (eg of an aerial amplifier) or whether it's just a question of tracing the wiring through the car.

Where exactly is the radio though?!

Thanks

Andy
Old 02-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Members

To update this:

I've realised that I have very good reception insofar as I can pick up very distant FM transmitters - trouble is that the nearby ones (like 10 miles from the tallest transmitter in the UK) produce the same level as hiss as the distant ones.

The treble isn't turned right up BTW, just in case someone thought of a simple answer!

I've also found this in another forum area but haven't checked if it answers my problem yet.

"I had this exact same problem on my 2004 545i. I brought it to the dealer, who replaced the M-ASK (a $1250 part + $250 labor which i managed to convince them to do for free despite my car being out of warranty), but that did not help. Reading some other posts, I realized that others have done the same thing, to no avail.

The problem is in the TCU. A TCU replacement costs almost as much (at least $1000 + labor). I didn't think I could pull off getting the dealer to replace the TCU for free as well. And I don't really want to pay $1000+ just to get the radio working without static glitches (although this would also get me bluetooth capability, but that's not worth $1000+ either).

Here is the solution. Go into the trunk and remove the TCU. It is not required for any of the car functions except for bluetooth and BMW Assist (which only matters if you actually pay the subscription fee for that). Once I removed the TCU, the radio/CD static problem was fixed, and the only difference now is that when I go into the "Communications" menu, instead of saying "No Signal", it says "No Cell Phone Installed". Let me know if this helps.

-Victor " ENDS

And I should also look at:

SIB 65 33 06, June 07, update to 12/06 (re E60/E63/E90) -

Are these accessible on the web or do you have to talk to a dealer?

Andy