DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

radar det

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by jherm' post='967646' date='Aug 6 2009, 01:10 PM
Does Don Juan's installation allow the car to go into sleep mode? I currently have a hardwired radar detector, but it is preventing my car from going into sleep mode.
Mine sleeps like a baby. I have the exact install like Don Juan's.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jherm' post='967646' date='Aug 6 2009, 01:10 PM
Does Don Juan's installation allow the car to go into sleep mode? I currently have a hardwired radar detector, but it is preventing my car from going into sleep mode.
dude, dont worry. this been done, tried, & proven
Old 08-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Members

I just finished a 2009 550i.

I used the green/yellow wire going into the rear-view mirror. Auto-on and off - the biggest problem is the ground and the tap-in size.

I had to tap in and then fold the tap-in and tape it to the bundle to get it to stay. I think if you used a smaller guage tap-in it would work much better.

As for the ground DO NOT use the one in the middle but use the torx closest to the driver's side. Also make sure you really torque it down!

Good luck guys!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Members

I give up. I've tried every combination of ground, AC source, and connecting power source. Poured over all the DIY guides on the net and still can't get it to power up unless it's using the cigarette lighter source. Time to take it for a pro to look at it because the powers that be tell me I cannot wire this thing. Anyone know a good tech or shop in Atlanta?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Jux2p0ze' post='1004387' date='Sep 10 2009, 09:00 PM
I give up. I've tried every combination of ground, AC source, and connecting power source. Poured over all the DIY guides on the net and still can't get it to power up unless it's using the cigarette lighter source. Time to take it for a pro to look at it because the powers that be tell me I cannot wire this thing. Anyone know a good tech or shop in Atlanta?
Really? I did it on my 2007 (Pre-LCI), 2008 (LCI) and even on my 2009 X5. You sure you're tapping the wire properly? I had to use a razor to CAREFULLY slice the wire to get the tap to connect. The tap itself, was awful at breaking through the outer sheath.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Members

Just did the 'Don Juan' install for my V1 in my 2010 535i.

To put this effort and my trepidation into perspective - I have never installed anything in a car - not ever an air freshener dangling from the rear-view mirror. I've never done any mechanical work - heck I've never even had to change a tire...

So I've been driving around for the last two weeks with the V1 above the mirror and a long cable hanging down from it to the under-glovebox power outlet, trying to get up the courage to do this mutilation of my brand new car. I bought the 'correct sized' T-Tap sleeve from Radioshack, having read this thread in its entirety twice and printed out relevant photos and notes. Yesterday I took my boss out to lunch and he commented on the wire dangling in front of his face - highly embarrassing. I am having dinner with him and the CEO next week so...

So today I hunted around for some tools - knifes, big screwdrivers, three torches, a plastic kitchen spatula, a hammer and a mallet - what ever I could find - and set to work. It took me an hour, but that included a 40 minute break for lunch. I can't believe how simple this job was once I'd got out the ceiling light panel (using the spatula). The green/yellow wire leading to the mirror was staring me in the face, but unlike the photos it was tightly (and very nicely) bound up with 50 other wires under black tape. I used the knives to cut the tape, pull out an inch of the green/yellow wire and attach the red T-Tap - trivial (I must be a born natural at this stuff). Then pushed the RJ11 cable out to the mirror by the windscreen by pulling ceiling trim down slightly. The big bolt to the left (sunroof frame) was unreachable with the tools at my disposal- even the mallet - so out came the Torx screwdriver from my computer days and I attached the ground wire to one of the screws on the motor-looking thing. Turned on car and tested Valentine - perfect first time (actually tested the V1 at many stages after this too). Bundled and tied all wires and replaced roof control panel and light panel.

Absolutely gorgeous install, and simple enough that even I could do it. Took 20 minutes. Highly recommended to everyone who is thinking about it.

My deepest thanks to everyone, especially Don Juan, for the photos and advice in this thread.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:09 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pelucidor' post='1072798' date='Dec 12 2009, 11:29 PM
Just did the 'Don Juan' install for my V1 in my 2010 535i.

To put this effort and my trepidation into perspective - I have never installed anything in a car - not ever an air freshener dangling from the rear-view mirror. I've never done any mechanical work - heck I've never even had to change a tire...

So I've been driving around for the last two weeks with the V1 above the mirror and a long cable hanging down from it to the under-glovebox power outlet, trying to get up the courage to do this mutilation of my brand new car. I bought the 'correct sized' T-Tap sleeve from Radioshack, having read this thread in its entirety twice and printed out relevant photos and notes. Yesterday I took my boss out to lunch and he commented on the wire dangling in front of his face - highly embarrassing. I am having dinner with him and the CEO next week so...

So today I hunted around for some tools - knifes, big screwdrivers, three torches, a plastic kitchen spatula, a hammer and a mallet - what ever I could find - and set to work. It took me an hour, but that included a 40 minute break for lunch. I can't believe how simple this job was once I'd got out the ceiling light panel (using the spatula). The green/yellow wire leading to the mirror was staring me in the face, but unlike the photos it was tightly (and very nicely) bound up with 50 other wires under black tape. I used the knives to cut the tape, pull out an inch of the green/yellow wire and attach the red T-Tap - trivial (I must be a born natural at this stuff). Then pushed the RJ11 cable out to the mirror by the windscreen by pulling ceiling trim down slightly. The big bolt to the left (sunroof frame) was unreachable with the tools at my disposal- even the mallet - so out came the Torx screwdriver from my computer days and I attached the ground wire to one of the screws on the motor-looking thing. Turned on car and tested Valentine - perfect first time (actually tested the V1 at many stages after this too). Bundled and tied all wires and replaced roof control panel and light panel.

Absolutely gorgeous install, and simple enough that even I could do it. Took 20 minutes. Highly recommended to everyone who is thinking about it.

My deepest thanks to everyone, especially Don Juan, for the photos and advice in this thread.

Oh no. We have another modder on our hands.

He's tasted of the fruit of satisfaction for a job well done, and likely will be back for more.

Pretty soon you'll be tearing apart the trunk for some subwoofers or working on the engine.

Good job! Glad it worked out for you.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Bumpity bump, gonna attempt this today
Old 09-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Senior Members

all i can find is a yellow wire with a green stripe on it, and it goes to the sunroof button. is that the wire? i see installation pics of both yellow with green and green with yellow on multiple pages. where is the wire we should be looking for exactly?

FYI i have a 2007 530i.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

anyone? the 2006-2007 530i does not seem to be the same as the others. i don't know where the rain sensor is and i also don't see any pictures that are all that revealing of where the wire i am looking for is exactly. anyone?

Quick Reply: radar det