DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

radar det

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008 | 09:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by troybal' post='604390' date='Jun 17 2008, 11:51 AM
Below is a picture of where I had my V1 Power hooked up too.
It is the Red wire with Yellow stripe, looks like it actually connects to the 2nd slot (counting from left to right). This is NOT on the Sunroof harness but actually on the light Harness.

I removed my light fixture just above my rear view mirror to show you this picture.

Attachment 52860

I tested it when I went home and it shows Zero Voltage when car is off, but 12+ Voltage when car is on.
Test it yourself and let us know if it helps! I did not see a green wire in the harness for the sunroof on my 2008 BMW 528i.

Regards,
TR.
TR, this is very good to know as most folks with the LCI have been having problems tapping the previous green/yellow wire for power.
Old 06-17-2008 | 10:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i Black Sapphire, Sports Package, Premium Package, Anthracite Headliner, VMR 714 20x8.5 wheels, Moonroof, StoneX, Xenons, Heated Seats, Sirius, IPOD/USB, Chrome Valentine One!

Originally Posted by joelk01' post='600562' date='Jun 11 2008, 02:17 PM
does nayone know what gauge wire the green/yellow wire is? I cant get the blue clamp to hold contact. Looking at finding a different tap-in connector.

Thanks

The wire is 18 guage I believe, either way the tap in connector that comes with a V1 should fit as it is for 14-18 guage wire.
Here is the tap in I am referring too -> Product Name: 3M 952 (TTAP Self-Stripping T-Tap Female Quick Slide

Here is the link to see it.
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=530

I do not like the tap in as well, not much choice unless you actually cut the wire, then there are many choices!

Regards,
TR.
Old 06-17-2008 | 12:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by troybal' post='604432' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:04 PM
The wire is 18 guage I believe, either way the tap in connector that comes with a V1 should fit as it is for 14-18 guage wire.
Here is the tap in I am referring too -> Product Name: 3M 952 (TTAP Self-Stripping T-Tap Female Quick Slide

Here is the link to see it.
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=530

I do not like the tap in as well, not much choice unless you actually cut the wire, then there are many choices!

Regards,
TR.
Thank you. I will try using that red wire as the source. Much appreciated.
Old 06-18-2008 | 12:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by joelk01' post='602570' date='Jun 14 2008, 06:11 PM
Connecting to the green wire, I only get power at the V1 when I am opening the sunroof. Other than that, the V1 is dead. I have a solid connection at the green wire with the blue tap in - I've had it on and off so many times that I am worried that I will break the green wire. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The green wire which goes into the sunroof switch is incorrect. The green wire which goes into the mirror is the correct one, for the jumper supplies power when the ignition is on. If you can't find this green wire in your car it is lacking a feature this wire is for.

I'm gonna try troybal advice and connect my second appliance on to the red wire in the light fixture.
Old 06-27-2008 | 04:02 PM
Members

I just tried Troybal's method of the red/yellow wire; however, the problem is that this wire is hot all the time. Makes sense, since the map lights can come on without the ignition. By the way, the green wire on my '08 550i does not power up on my model. Still looking for alternatives. Probably going with the cig 12v under the glove box or maybe try fuse tapping like I've done in other cars.
Old 07-05-2008 | 06:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by troybal' post='604390
I just tried Troybal's method of the red/yellow wire; however, the problem is that this wire is hot all the time. Makes sense, since the map lights can come on without the ignition. By the way, the green wire on my '08 550i does not power up on my model. Still looking for alternatives. Probably going with the cig 12v under the glove box or maybe try fuse tapping like I've done in other cars.
Me too? Why did he achieve different results then us. It remains hot all the time.
Old 09-24-2008 | 08:25 AM
Contributors

Need some help please. I hardwired my V1 Monday night, and it worked flawlessly. Today, I went for a quick drive and it powered on, but after I turned off the vehicle, it won't power on again. The unit is functional as plugging it into the cigarette lighter brings it to life. I checked the inline fuse, and it is good. My ground is solid, and the connection to the green/yellow wire seems fine too. Could I have blown a fuse in the car? Any suggestions as which one(s) in particular to look at? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2008 | 09:32 PM
Members

You might confirm you have it on a true ground screw. I only found two screws overhead that worked (one on each side of the sunroof mechanism), and they were both a bear to get to. Basically I unscrewed one screw all of the way, but couldn't easily get it out without screwing up the headliner. Decided to place my ground between the washer and the screw head (so sandwiched rather than bolt through), which is working great for now. What did you use for ground? It's possible you blew a fuse, but I think the green/yellow wire is for the sunroof, so if it opens I'd assume it's not the fuse.
Old 10-04-2008 | 08:10 PM
Members

My Ride: M5

i ended up drilling my own screw hole infront of the sunroof mechanism to do the ground.......

BUT i made a huge mistake and ended up splicing the green/yellow wire apart........i put it back with a connector and crimp though and sunroof works fine now.

i think i'm going to try to look for another power source and then try again later......

i guess i'll just use the cigarette lighter to plug it in for now..........LOL
Old 10-13-2008 | 07:28 PM
Contributors

great install. do you have any problems with it picking up the fuzz? i mean is it too high to pick up from the rear or from the right side? but thanks for the info, i still plan on using your instructions to install mine.

Quick Reply: radar det