DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Performing a Nav Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi ben, your imput is very welcome, as no one on here knows everything.
i can only go on my own experiance of fitting 3 retrofits from no nav to pro nav, on all cars before 2004 we did not connect the signal wire.
we also did not pre program the car before we changed over to pro nav, and it all worked first time after about 1 hour using autologic retro fit path profesional nav.
but this job was done by a programer using "live time" help from the autologic team who guide you through 24/7 via phone and live web/email

but i expect every car is different, and every programer has a different approach to it.
please dont stop imputting ben as sometimes its good to get a different view or angle.
thanks mate
david.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

Ben,

I'd like to second Dave's statement - All input is welcomed here.

I will run the wire to the CAS when I get the car back, need to do some more research as to what the part looks like, where exactly it is, and which wire specifically I'm supposed to attache to, but yeah it's on my list to do.

One good thing about the stupid iDrive controller being so hard to get to - Now taking out the CCC/M-ASK seems like a walk in the park. I used to get squeamish about even doing that haha. I'll be heading down to my mechanic's garage in an hour or so to check up on him. Wish me luck.

Nav retrofit path... autologic.. must get this done omg!
Old 12-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Contributors

ok, went there and watched him try it. He goes to the retrofit path and tries to choose the pro nav option, which is on the screen (last option on the second page of options) but he can't select it. You press the option and nothing happens. Where as when you press other things it takes you to a new screen. Thoughts?

Maybe he needs to update his prologic?
Old 12-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Contributors

Some pics.

First one shows the main selection of the retrofit path.

Second shows page 3 of 4 for retrofit/conversion options - there is a selection that says RADIO professional (MASK-PRO). I'm wondering if this may be an avenue?

Third pic shows 4 of 4 for retrofit/conversion options - the last option is NAV Professional (CCC) and when you press the arrow, nothing happens.

Fourth is some goats on the way home from the garage .
Attached Thumbnails Performing a Nav Retrofit-coding1.jpg   Performing a Nav Retrofit-coding2.jpg   Performing a Nav Retrofit-coding3.jpg   Performing a Nav Retrofit-goats.jpg  
Old 12-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='739974' date='Dec 7 2008, 05:40 AM
Some pics.

First one shows the main selection of the retrofit path.

Second shows page 3 of 4 for retrofit/conversion options - there is a selection that says RADIO professional (MASK-PRO). I'm wondering if this may be an avenue?

Third pic shows 4 of 4 for retrofit/conversion options - the last option is NAV Professional (CCC) and when you press the arrow, nothing happens.

Fourth is some goats on the way home from the garage .
judging from that screen with the error listed, what happens if he clicks on that arrow immediately to the right of INITIAL REPORT?

MASK-PRO is what you had before, the business nav. if you try that it should say you don't have the right hardware installed.

there is a detailed pic of the CAS in the .pdf BenAnd posted- when you remove the trim under the steering wheel, it's the only module down there with enough pins on the connector (you're looking for position 31 on the harness.) the other modules down there don't have anywhere near as many cables on their sockets.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Contributors

im sorry your having dramas dirk, i feel guilty, what with the UPS fiasco and all.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='740130' date='Dec 8 2008, 12:52 AM
im sorry your having dramas dirk, i feel guilty, what with the UPS fiasco and all.
No worries Dave, I'm sure I'll eventually get it all sorted out. I'm dealing with the Dubai factor, after all. I wish I had access to a autologic expert mechanic who could help. The problem is, these sorts of undertakings just aren't common here so no one has any experience with them. I called around to other shops and I might as well have been speaking ancient Aramaic or martian or something. No one has even a remote clue on what I'm talking about. The SA at the BMW dealership is a little better but he said my CCC was hosed because my steering wheel buttons don't work and I don't hear anything from the radio.

That's sort of his answer for everything. He then quoted me a brand new nav retrofit kit for 5k US, which I found pretty funny.

I'm giving it until Jan and if I'm not in a better place with the car, I'm going to sell it. The whole experience with this car has been like those dramatic relationships of my youth - emotional roller coasters of pure joy and misery.

I've emailed autologic asking for help and explaining the issues, no response as of yet. The mechanic seems unwilling to try and call them, not sure if he'd have to pay or something. He's going to try and do a software update on his machine over the Eid holiday and try the car again on Wednesday.

The last resort is trying the dealer again, doing an update (attempt anyway) on my old m-ask and than doing the retrofit on the new CCC. They quoted me just shy of a thousand US for this, so it's the absolute last resort. The BMW dealership hear are flat our criminal, taking advantage of a captive population (only one license per Emirate) of people who don't know any better and have more money than sense.

C'est la guerre.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 AM
Contributors

Update = He's experiencing problems getting the software on his autologic to update. He's working with Autologic to sort it out and thinks he'll have it done by Saturday to try then. More waiting... hope this fixes it!
Old 12-11-2008, 05:08 AM
Contributors

keep smiling dirk.........
Old 12-12-2008, 05:54 AM
Contributors

I got a response from Autologic, makes sense I think. I believe he's asking us to update the autologic software, right? Which is what we're doing.

Here's the email/response:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Autologic problems - BMW E60
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 17:26:54 +0400
To: info@diagnos.co.uk

Hello,

I'm writing this because I'm having problems performing a function with your autologic device. The device actually belongs to a mechanic "Jano's Garage" here in Dubai but there is a bit of a language barrier so I'm hoping maybe I can see if this is a known issue or not.

The situation is as follows - The car in question is an E60 545i, production date of 10/03. Originally had Business navigation (M-ASK) and have subsequently installed the Pro-Nav retrofit kit (CCC), purchased second hand (i.e. it's been in another car first). Now there are many stories of people doing this in the E60 community and doing the retrofit path PRO Navigation update via autologic and it working perfectly, however we're having a bit of an issue with it. When we get to the fourth page of options under the retrofit/conversion menu, the last option is for PRO navigation (CCC) but we are unable to select that option. We can press the button but nothing happens.

Are you aware of this issue and what can we do about it? I've been assured by a mechanic in the UK that he's done this before and never experienced this problem. I've attached pictures of the screens I've described.

Let me know what I should do, thanks a lot!
Response:
Dear Garald,
The only reason why nothing happens it is because your BMW software is out of date.

All you need to do is to update the BMW software. Take the opportunity to update MAIN and CIP51.
Regards
Or wait, he's talking about my car - yes? I wonder.. if he's talking about the car software, can I do a software update if the CCC hasn't been programmed for my car yet? I'm confused, again. Hah!

Quick Reply: Performing a Nav Retrofit