DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Performing a Nav Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 02:26 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have L7 sound system? It maybe conflict with the CCC earlier programming (ie. on a car with standard audio)
If you want the voice input function, get ready to order the voice input codes (around ? 400.00)
Old 12-06-2008, 03:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

I have "premium sound" according to my vin print out - not sure what that means honestly. I always thought the sound system kinda sucked . Well, not sucked but wasn't that great. My old M-ASK didn't go up in smoke, it just wouldn't take a software update (which meant no ipod) and provided some static after being on about an hour - I can switch it back and everything works fine, so no secondary systems should have been damaged by it. Pretty perplexing. The mechanic is running down the issue now so we'll see.

No desire for the voice, so no worries .
Old 12-06-2008, 04:24 AM
Contributors

dirk, the voice imput is sold as a kit and it costs ?49.95
part number# 84 64 0 396 162
Old 12-06-2008, 05:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='739242' date='Dec 6 2008, 03:14 AM
Okay I shaved it off and it seemed to have worked fine. No sound comes from the radio and none of my steering wheel buttons function at all, but other than that... I drove it into my Mechanic for programming, he's going to give me a ring after lunch and let me know how it went.

There was that one little cable that came with the kit that went to the CAS (wtf is a CAS anyway?) that I didn't bother installing - could that explain the lack of button functionality? Oh and where the hell is the maintenance menu in the new iDrive? The new iDrive force feedback thing is pretty slick, I have to say.
that is the speed sense wire. it provides the CCC with the vehicle's current speed. connecting it would provide you with a more accurate position, but it is not necessary. the CAS is under the steering column, so running the wire will take you all of 10 minutes if you want to do it.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:36 AM
Contributors

Well it's a bit of a moot point. The guy says it cannot be programmed since it came from a different car with different options. He said the only way it'll work is if it's from basically the same car and doesn't require any programming, or something like that. He may have the BMW official program updater Progman. I tried asking to find out what kind of computer he's using to do the update but the language barrier sort of prevented anything meaningful. According to him - I'm fucked.

So, I'm going to try calling around to different BMW mechanics and find out if any of them have what I need. Is there any way to find out specifically what I should ask them to see if they can do the programming?

I did have that bad feeling about this...
Old 12-06-2008, 05:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='739336' date='Dec 6 2008, 09:36 AM
Well it's a bit of a moot point. The guy says it cannot be programmed since it came from a different car with different options. He said the only way it'll work is if it's from basically the same car and doesn't require any programming, or something like that. He may have the BMW official program updater Progman. I tried asking to find out what kind of computer he's using to do the update but the language barrier sort of prevented anything meaningful. According to him - I'm fucked.

So, I'm going to try calling around to different BMW mechanics and find out if any of them have what I need. Is there any way to find out specifically what I should ask them to see if they can do the programming?

I did have that bad feeling about this...
it doesn't matter what car it came from, the retrofit coding will program it with the correct options. mine came from a 6er convertible. i don't know what/how the aftermarket programming options can do.

If you're going to a dealer, put the m-ask back in, ask for a full update, then take the car home, install the ccc and monitor, then take it back for the retrofit coding. thankfully, you do not need to replace the idrive controller again, the feedback one will work just fine with the m-ask. if you want the voice recognition (keep in mind you will lose the existing BT voice dialing if you don't add the voice recognition kit) you will also need to order part # 65 83 6 976 389 from the parts counter first- this is actually a file generated by bmw central to "unlock" the voice recognition. it is vehicle specific, and the progman will ask for it when they do the retrofit coding. it's no biggie if you don't have it, but then you'll have to go back again for the voice programming, as I did.

good luck
Old 12-06-2008, 06:08 AM
Contributors

dirk, your guy is talking compleate cod sh*t
it does not matter what car or with what options it had . it can be programed in 1 hour maximum by someone who knows what hes doing, do you have anybody there that uses autologic? just get them to program for retro fit pro nav and away they go...i fail to understand why people make more out of this than they should, prehaps he cant do it, and is making excuses.
my first pro nav upgrade came out of a 2006 M5 and went into a basic 530d 2003, with no dramas.
phone around mate...it pays off.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='739345
dirk, your guy is talking compleate cod sh*t
it does not matter what car or with what options it had . it can be programed in 1 hour maximum by someone who knows what hes doing, do you have anybody there that uses autologic? just get them to program for retro fit pro nav and away they go...i fail to understand why people make more out of this than they should, prehaps he cant do it, and is making excuses.
my first pro nav upgrade came out of a 2006 M5 and went into a basic 530d 2003, with no dramas.
phone around mate...it pays off.
Autologic - I'll ask around and see. I think this guy is just probably in over his head, and knows how to do the basic software upgrades and such. I'm asking around for other mechanics now and will make calls tomorrow. The language barrier is a huge one so I may actually have to drive around and look at their computers my self.

Hah, I just went tot he autologic website and it looks exactly like what this guy has. What the hell... Do you have your mechanics phone number? Is there a way to call and find out exactly what is supposed to be done to get it to work? I have a feeling no one I talk to is going to know shit.

EDIT: Just talked to my guy again and told him specifically to do a nav retrofit program on the autologic. He's going to try it in the morning and let me know. I'm glad Eid is starting a day later than originally estimated! We'll see...
Old 12-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='739360' date='Dec 6 2008, 10:22 AM
Problem with this is my old M-ASK unit won't take a software update, which is one of the reasons I'm trying to replace it. I had actually ordered a brand new M-ASK unit for almost $3k US when I saw Dr Dave's post and figure I'd spend less money AND upgrade to Pro nav.
when I had the first update done, they said the car was updated, but I still had the old brown screens. the retrofit worked, so I guess they upgraded what they needed to.

EDIT: Just talked to my guy again and told him specifically to do a nav retrofit program on the autologic. He's going to try it in the morning and let me know. I'm glad Eid is starting a day later than originally estimated! We'll see...
I had to stand next to the guy while the car was hooked up to progman, instructing him where to click. every other word out of his mouth was "no that won't work". he didn't shut up until the car accepted the measures plan. you may end up having to do the same- I'd suggest going down there and watching the autologic screen alongside him.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='739409' date='Dec 6 2008, 05:35 PM
when I had the first update done, they said the car was updated, but I still had the old brown screens. the retrofit worked, so I guess they upgraded what they needed to.

I had to stand next to the guy while the car was hooked up to progman, instructing him where to click. every other word out of his mouth was "no that won't work". he didn't shut up until the car accepted the measures plan. you may end up having to do the same- I'd suggest going down there and watching the autologic screen alongside him.
Hi

I am sorry if someone here mean I talk "shit" , but I was only try to help a littel out , I only know something about coding with PROGMAN , my freind and mechnic is skild BMW mecahnic , and we have weekly contact to BMW Denmark Servic Support + them in M?nich , so I wood mean , we are not just " new" boys on the block on this tema .

If you see what I allready have refittet on my E60 you will see , we are not newbees , and we know our way around PROGMAN , and how to code with it

The "singel" wire is to be connectet if the car is a pre. 09/04 , please see "update" Business to prof, page 12.

CAS = Car Acces Modul.

CCC= Car Communication Computer

M-ASK = Multi Audio System Kontroller

I can't say you WILL get problems , wenn coding a "used" M-ASK or CCC , but we here in Europ , have had problems doing that with PROGMAN , becuse of a code in the E-prom on thew motherboard in the CCC's & M-ASK's , but in PROGMAN there is a men? "austausch" (change) CCC/M-ASK it works for the most.

Hope the best for your project , and I wont "mingel" more in this/your thread
Attached Files

Quick Reply: Performing a Nav Retrofit